Thread: Dakota Brakes

turbo addict

Dakota Brakes

On the Back of the truck on the driver's side there is some kind of cylinder that has three lines in it. Two from the front of the truck and one that looks like it runs to the rear end for the wheel cylinders. It has a lever that is attached to some springs that run to a bracket on the front shackle. I think this is some kind of Hyd. E-brake setup. Anyway the cylinder is shot and all the fittings are rusted in tighter than a nun. Anybody know if I can get a replacement for the cylinder or if it can be bypassed and how? Also found out some assclown used compression unions to section in a new piece of line instead of double-flare, so looks like I'm replacing all the hard lines in the truck.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Dakota Brakes

hmmmm might be some kind of load sensing system for the rear brakes. The Rampages had sometime similar from the factory. Bypass should be easy.

buy a double flared union, and run a line to a rubber line over the rear axle. Run that to a block just like the factory, and two lines from the block to each wheel cylinder.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Its a load sensing device based on how much weight your carrying or not. I have bypassed them before, just go to the prop valve and plug one line off, then run another line to the back like a normal car.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

just talked to my dad and he said the same thing. lol I just noticed I put this in the wrong place, meant for it to go in "I need help." He used to be a Ford tech and said some Fords had it too.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    just talked to my dad and he said the same thing. lol I just noticed I put this in the wrong place, meant for it to go in "I need help." He used to be a Ford tech and said some Fords had it too.
    Lots of vehicles have it, Ford trucks, old school VW's, my van.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

its a really stupid setup that senses if the truck lifts in the back it applys the rear abs, ie you slam the brakes, the nose dives and the back lifts, they only used it like 2 years. I thinks some parts are avail at the dealer, but if it was mine I would bypass it

turbo addict

Yeah I'm bypassing it seems like its somewhat useless on a truck with a towing capacity of 2000 lbs.

Hybrid booster

Sounds like you have the first year Dakota and yes its a mechanical load sensing contraption that regulates the line pressure to the rear brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    its a really stupid setup that senses if the truck lifts in the back it applys the rear abs, ie you slam the brakes, the nose dives and the back lifts, they only used it like 2 years. I thinks some parts are avail at the dealer, but if it was mine I would bypass it
    jdawg the 1986 1/2 -1987 Dakotas do not have ABS. Rear ABS started in 1988 along with TBI fuel injection.