Thread: tuning question

Garrett booster

tuning question

ok im running 20 psi on my 2.5 mopar performance sbec in my daytona do to a electric cut out eliminator, dsm 390cc injectors and a 255lph walbro.

now i have an egt boost and a/f guage

My 523 doesn't have numbers on the timing window. its set to the middle slash, whatever that is haha.

I was reading and someone said to retard the timing to like 6* to start out with when running over the 14.7psi with the stock comp since it will not be retarding the timing for the extra 5 psi boost im running since it doesn't know. makes sense, anyone else try this.

2nd question is I have a hole drilled in my thermostat and a switch wired to the fan relay switch to ground it out. when im beating on the car i usually leave the fan on all the time, my temp guage doesn't really go past 1/8th to 1/6th the way up when its always running so i was wondering since its not up to operating temp if its running in closed loop still thinking its cold? it seems to pull the hardest the colder it is. what is all involved when running in closed loop besides running richer, where is the timing advance?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: tuning question

Your coolant temp sender to the gauge probably went out on you. My 90' shadow would have the gauge go up a little bit and just stay there. Now that I have replaced the sender it works properly.

Garrett booster

no it only goes up that far cause i have the fan run at all times, have a hole drilled in the thermistat and have a vent cut in the hood.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbox View Post
    no it only goes up that far cause i have the fan run at all times, have a hole drilled in the thermistat and have a vent cut in the hood.
    Regardless of all the holes you cut in the hood, fan on etc. it should still be at normal operating temp. due to the stat. If not the hole you drilled in the stat is way to big and you are wearing your rings at an accelerated rate, as they tend to wear more when they are that cold. If it is barely registering you have a problem one way or another.