Thread: L-Body brake upgrade?

Hybrid booster

L-Body brake upgrade?

Got an 87 shelby charger. I want to upgrade the rear breaks from drum to disk if possible. And upgrade the front to better disk breaks.

What are some options I can go with to do this?

FWDPerformance only has rear disk breaks for a 87 / 88 shelby z. And it's only the rotors and pads.

I'd prefer to upgrade to a NEW assembly, not a disk setup out of a junk yard car. But if that's what I have to do then that's what I'll do. It'll just be a pain to find what I need in a junk yard.

Hybrid booster

Re: L-Body break upgrade?

Go here for the best info:
    http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/slhpkgs.htm

I've got the Shadow calipers and pads on my 87 GLHS and stops pretty well.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

it is really not that hard to find what you are looking for in the yard at all. They are everywhere once you know what to look for.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I hate to nitpick but its

BRAKES
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I hate to nitpick but it's

BRAKES
    If you are going to be a spelling Nazi please adhere to your own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If you are going to be a spelling Nazi please adhere to your own rules.

Hahhhaa, we all make mistakes but BREAKS drives me insane!

Its like for some reason, you guys spell cheque as checks?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hahhhaa, we all make mistakes but BREAKS drives me insane!

Its like for some reason, you guys spell cheque as checks?

I think that is the acceptable spelling of it here in America these days. Looking at my box of checks that I have sitting here it says checks on the box.

Hybrid booster

Re: L-Body brake upgrade?

I spelled it brake in the title, just was typing fast and spelled it breaks in the topic while typing the rest of it. Woops. I didn't even notice. I'll read up on that site and see what they say.

I was kinda hoping for new parts and not used parts from an old vehicle being put on my car. That's why I was asking. I'll read the site and see what it says for further information on it though, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    I spelled it brake in the title, just was typing fast and spelled it breaks in the topic while typing the rest of it. Woops. I didn't even notice. I'll read up on that site and see what they say.

I was kinda hoping for new parts and not used parts from an old vehicle being put on my car. That's why I was asking. I'll read the site and see what it says for further information on it though, thanks

I changed it in the title,

You can buy the new parts, just grab the whole rear setup off any rear disc car,

Hybrid booster

Is it hard to convert your rear brakes from drum to disk? I just skimmed through that page and didn't read it too thoroughly cause i'm doing a buncha things online at once. But i'm reading things about proportioning valves and switching em and not having em and all kinds of stuff like that.

Hybrid booster

I changed it in the title,

You can buy the new parts, just grab the whole rear setup off any rear disc car,
    Oh lol. I know it's spelled brakes I dunno why I typed it wrong like I said musta just been in a hurry. Ah well. I'll note the correction and make sure I don't do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Is it hard to convert your rear brakes from drum to disk? I just skimmed through that page and didn't read it too thoroughly cause i'm doing a buncha things online at once. But i'm reading things about proportioning valves and switching em and not having em and all kinds of stuff like that.
    You simple remove your drums, unbolt the spindles and toss them aside, remove backing plates.

Bolt up the new stuff, shorten the hard brake line and screw into the flexible line, attach up the e-brake-that part I am not 100% sure but I believe they work with no mods. Bleed and your off to the races.

Based on what I have read, you should stick with the non vented 11 inch setup, the vented rears are too big and will give you too much rear braking.

Mitsu booster

I swapped in a rear disc setup from an 87-88daytona..very easy as Simon said but the e-brake is a little tougher. If I had pics I post them..give me a day or two and I'll see what I can do. The only problem with this setup is the calipers are expensive..cost me 97.00 each and 100.00 for core charge..it's bad when the core charge is more than the new part. Other than that..pretty easy swap.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I swapped in a rear disc setup from an 87-88daytona..very easy as Simon said but the e-brake is a little tougher. If I had pics I post them..give me a day or two and I'll see what I can do. The only problem with this setup is the calipers are expensive..cost me 97.00 each and 100.00 for core charge..it's bad when the core charge is more than the new part. Other than that..pretty easy swap.

Chris
    Or get the later non vented setup with the internal drum e-brake, cheap calipers.

turbo addict

I'm with Simon. Plus you can have everything swapped in a couple hours if your bolts come loose fairly easily. E-brake shoes are much better IMO. The calipers seem to be more responsive in those setups.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

Bolt up the new stuff, shorten the hard brake line and screw into the flexible line, attach up the e-brake-that part I am not 100% sure but I believe they work with no mods. Bleed and your off to the races.

Based on what I have read, you should stick with the non vented 11 inch setup, the vented rears are too big and will give you too much rear braking.

I have the 89+ 33mm piston calipers with solid disc with internal drum disc brake setup off a dynasty on my GLH. Stock e-brake cable works fine.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/brakes.html

turbo addict

I will keep that in mind. Those plentiful in my area. I always see die nasties in my area with junk 604's. I imagine the brakes are the same on a AA body as well.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Mitsu booster

I guess I just used what I could get cheap in the way of mounting brackets. The calipers I got were quite rusty and I figured new was the way to go..plus I think the shelbyZ stuff without integrated drum was lighter...probably not by much though. I enjoy my setup just fine. Either way rear discs are the way to go.

Chris

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info. That's definetly going to be one of my projects soon.