Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can u pass emission with 3"

TurboII

can u pass emission with 3"

i have a 3" exhaust with a high flow cat. My question can i pass emission in ct even tho the exhaust comes out the side.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: can u pass emission with 3"

To answer your subject question, yes you can pass with 3"

To answer your other question, not sufe about CT rules as far as safety, it would be ok in IL if it passed the smog... but then again '95 and older vehicles are now exepmt here!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I've smoged with a full 3", swingvalve, cat, glasspack and all. No issue at all. And as JT said, check with CT about side exit and location.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If the engine is running correctly, you could pass with a 4 inch system. Size doesn't matter in this case.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

sniffer test, yes.

I would say as long as a healthy motor is running decent a/f at the tested rpms then your exhaust size wont really matter.

TURBOII likes other say the quick answer is yes. There's way to many variable to discuss but if you have a good tune and are not running too rich you should squeak by. I passed by a c-hair (carbon monoxide was at 90% of max allowed, that was a close call). I have a custom TU calibration that was way rich at low speeds/part throttle and of course a 3" exhaust and Magnaflow cat. The EGR system was removed from the car but they did not notice because its a glhs and they were looking under "omni".

For those outside of CT, we have some of the toughest smog limits in the country, and all cars between 5 and 25 years old must be tested every other year. The test involves a visual inspection and a sniff test on the rollers at about 30 mph on the speedometer. OBDII cars are just plug-n-play for codes but that is not our community.

There's a provision in the law that says "collector or antique cars are exempt", but they ONLY consider a car a collector/antique car if it is 25+ years old, so this provision is sorta a stupid teaser since there's already a cutoff at 25 years for all vehicles.

dont show up for testing? the registration is revoked and the car is subject to confiscation.

TurboII

well when i went to the inspection place for my windows they just told me to fix the side two lil windows (88 lebaron coupe) and come back i didnt get no papers know nothing and know 30 day notice.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Why would the emmisions place care about your windows?

Marcus, we had pretty much the same deal here for a long time, anything over 4 years old and newer than 1968 had to be tested on the dyno except for OBDII cars which just got the plug in test. They determined that they were spending too much money on testing the older vehicles so they are phasing out testing on pre OBDII cars here in IL. Unfortunately my 90 minivan is still on their list and currently sits in the garage with suspended plates until I get it back together and test it (passed fine 2 yrs ago). Of course I can't drive it there with suspended plates so I have to apply for a goofy permit to get it to the test station, but since I've got a truck and trailer I'll just tow it there instead. The emissions testing around here has been a real pain in the rear for a car collector like myself.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Why would the emmisions place care about your windows?

Marcus, we had pretty much the same deal here for a long time, anything over 4 years old and newer than 1968 had to be tested on the dyno except for OBDII cars which just got the plug in test. They determined that they were spending too much money on testing the older vehicles so they are phasing out testing on pre OBDII cars here in IL. Unfortunately my 90 minivan is still on their list and currently sits in the garage with suspended plates until I get it back together and test it (passed fine 2 yrs ago). Of course I can't drive it there with suspended plates so I have to apply for a goofy permit to get it to the test station, but since I've got a truck and trailer I'll just tow it there instead. The emissions testing around here has been a real pain in the rear for a car collector like myself.
    What happen after they failed u did you get a notice or anything like that stating u have 30 days to come back or get a suspended plate.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    What happen after they failed u did you get a notice or anything like that stating u have 30 days to come back or get a suspended plate.
    My van never failed the test, It hasn't been registered, insured or driven for over a year now since I've been slowly working on it. I had it apart and could not get it in to be tested when it was due in Dec. I requested an extension until April, but rather than grant that they sent me a letter noting that my plates would be susended at the end of the month. For the IL emissions Nazi's that's pretty good, because usually they try to suspend your license. I have a number of friends that have been arrested for having a vehicle (usually one they don't drive regularly) that didn't pass testing.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    it would be ok in IL if it passed the smog... but then again '95 and older vehicles are now exepmt here!
    I just love everytime I get to read that. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm going to frame my exemption letter and hang it in the garage.

TurboII

so they did send u a leter stating something cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    so they did send u a leter stating something cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that.
    In IL they do send out letters notifying you if your plates are suspended, but you live in CT, and the rules are different state to state. In IL they don't test windows for emmisions so I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for that (maybe there is a greenhouse glass problem in CT? ) .
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

"....cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that........"

TURBOII i am at a loss to understand what the heck you are now writing about, i thought you were asking about emissions testing and 3" exhaust................windows???? anyways hope you get whatever your problem is fixed.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    "....cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that........"

TURBOII i am at a loss to understand what the heck you are now writing about, i thought you were asking about emissions testing and 3" exhaust................windows???? anyways hope you get whatever your problem is fixed.
    When turboDave talked about suspended plates I thought about when I went to the inspection and failed for my windows and was noted on the exhaust and I asked TurboDave what happened to him and he answered my question. That's why i was talking about my windows cause it rolls into one subject inspection and emission It got a little cared away THATS ALL!!.....okay does that answer what the heck IM talking about

Back to topic

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I recently passed the Arizona roller sniffer test with 3" swingvalve, downpipe, highflow cat, dynomax straight through muffler, full fuel pressure, etc

I did have the wastegate tied directly to the manifold so max boost was somewhere around 10psi.

I was about 1/3 the limit or so on a couple of catagories. I posted the results somewhere but it might have been on the other board.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbe View Post
    I just love everytime I get to read that. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm going to frame my exemption letter and hang it in the garage.
    LOL, I was going to do the same thing with mine!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    LOL, I was going to do the same thing with mine!
    Lamo......I wish i could hang mine

start a petition!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

You Chicago boys think you have it made, here, as long as there's a license plate on it, and some headlights and brake lights, you're good to go.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast