Thread: VNT actuator doesn't work!!

Garrett booster

VNT actuator doesn't work!!

Since I've had this car, I can't get the turbo to boost more than stock. I've tried bleeding, boost controller, hell I've even disconnected both hoses to the actuator one at a time, and both together, as well as setting up a pneumatic control!!! Damn thing boosts 9-12 psi @ 5500 no matter what! Spools slower than my T1 mitsu with a grainger! When I blow through the vacuum line on the bottom port, I can feel air coming out from around the actuator arm on the bottom.....wonder if that is the problem, or maybe the spring is weak? At a loss, please help!

Hybrid booster

Re: VNT actuator doesn't work!!

Hmmm....VNT's......lol

Okay, with the actuator disconnected from the turbine side, try moving the vane control arm (the one that the actuator connects to on the exhaust side) by hand. It should move freely and smoothly. If it does, then you have either a leak in the lines going to the actuator 'nipples' or your spring is weak. If it doesn't, then the vanes aren't fully closing, causing you to bleed off power.

Here'a quick and easy fix. Go to Lowes, Ace, The Home Depot or whatever you have and buy a spring. It should be about 3" long and have hooks at the end. Put one end on your actuator somewhere, and the other end to the vane control arm on the turbine side. This should help in keeping your vanes closed a bit longer and give your acutator a bit of help. Let us know if this works or you come up with another fix.

Garrett booster

Re: VNT actuator doesn't work!!

yeah, must be a weak spring, though I'm still confused as to why the bottom port holds no pressure or vacuum at all.....why the hell is it there then? Actuator arm has always moved freely though, actually had a similar fix at one time, but had overboost problems when it got cold out, plus I would just like to see how it is SUPPOSED to spool without any assistance, just as a reference. Guess I more or less wanted to confirm that the actuator itself is crap as I had no base reference to start with >.<,