Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map vacuum line question

Hybrid booster

Map vacuum line question

Should I run the vacuum line going to the map straight from my vacuum block. Or have it go from the vacuum block to those vacuum sensors on the passenger strut tower THEN to the map sensor?

Does it make a difference or no? Right now it's a 2 bar map sensor, but I have my Stage4 LM & 3 bar on the way. Wanna know if it makes a difference before I install the new LM & MAP. Thanks.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Map vacuum line question

Run a dedicated vacuum line to the baro solenoid then to the MAP sensor. You can tee if off other lines but running its own line is better.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

The Baro solenoid are those vacuum things on the passenger strut tower correct?

Does running a vacuum line straight to the MAP sensor off my vacuum block affect anything? I'll switch it up later so it goes to the baro first but I'm still trying to figure out why i'm fuel cutting at anything above 10 psi of boost.

Hybrid booster

Which one of the 3 vacuum ports on the baro solenoid is the vacuum in and which is the vacuum out? And do I plug the 3rd one or leave it open??

I switched it to run the vacuum through the baro then to the map but the car won't stay idling. But I think my ignition timing jumped again I checked it last night and I couldn't even see the timing mark. It did that once before, I re-adjusted it and it was fine. But it randomly jumped itself past 12* ignition timing? Then I set it back to 12* and it runs perfectly fine again, what's up with that?

Hybrid booster

I'm not 100% sure what the baro solenoid is or if I'm even using it. I'm using the 4 stack of vacuum "sensors" or whatever those are on the passenger side fender well. Are those baro solenoids are is the baro something completely seperate? If it is then I'm pretty sure my car does not have one on it.

I can't find a picture of one anywhere to confirm this.

Hybrid booster

I went to reset the ignition timing, set it to 12* and it was jumping around between 8-12 at idle. So I'm checking the cam timing and it *LOOKS* like it's right on.. So wtf?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What year car? if 88 and on, it should be with the MAP sensor.

Did you disconnect the coolant sensor when setting the timing?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Here's a picture from Gus' site that shows where the baro solenoid is in relation to the map sensor.

This is '88+ like Simon was talking about. I'm not sure about the older stuff.

Hybrid booster

I have an 87 so I don't have a baro solenoid. I just have the map sensor hooked up straight to my vacuum block.

And yes I did disconnect the coolant temp sensor. The cam timing seemed like it was on point too, i re-checked that before setting the timing back to 12* to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm not really sure what's going on.

Actually now that I look at that picture again. On my 87 it has 4 vacuum solenoid things that look like that on the passenger strut tower. But they're up and down not side to side. Should I tap into one of those for the vacuum line to the MAP sensor?

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I think you are talking about the wastegate solenoids on the passenger fender wall. They shouldn't be connected to your map.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Here's a picture from Gus' site that shows where the baro solenoid is in relation to the map sensor.

This is '88+ like Simon was talking about. I'm not sure about the older stuff.

This is the same setup as my Shelby Lancer ('87). The MAP has it's own solenoid for Baro, separate from the the other solenoid "pack". You should look into getting one if you don't have one.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    I have an 87 so I don't have a baro solenoid. I just have the map sensor hooked up straight to my vacuum block.

And yes I did disconnect the coolant temp sensor. The cam timing seemed like it was on point too, i re-checked that before setting the timing back to 12* to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm not really sure what's going on.

Actually now that I look at that picture again. On my 87 it has 4 vacuum solenoid things that look like that on the passenger strut tower. But they're up and down not side to side. Should I tap into one of those for the vacuum line to the MAP sensor?
    You do to have a baro solenoid. That is most certainly why you are getting the code 13.

ETA: was there another thread in which you stated you were getting a code 13 or was that someone else? Either way you still have it, and need to hook it up.

Hybrid booster

I don't remember ever getting a code 13? Maybe I did.

I don't see a baro solenoid other than the wastegate 4 stack of vacum solenoids on the passenger side. I don't see a single one anywhere. Maybe it was removed?

I just checked and code 13 is a map code. I don't remember ever making a post about getting that? I'm not getting that code now as far as I know. I'll have to go out and check again now but I wasn't the last time I checked and I haven't changed anything with the map sensor since then.

I don't know much about the pre '88 stuff, but it might be posible that they stuck the baro solenoid with the others. You say there are 4 solenoids, so one should be boost control, one should be EGR (on pre '88 right?), one should be canister purge. That's 3, so maybe the 4th is the baro. I'm just taking a wild guess here.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    I don't see a baro solenoid other than the wastegate 4 stack of vacum solenoids on the passenger side.
    The baro solenoid is one of the 4 pack. I can't recall exactly whether it is the first or second one on the right of the 4 pack (the side away from the fender). One of those two is the wastgate solenoid, so the one on that end that is not going to the wastegate actuator, is the baro soleoid.

The baro solenoid has two functions it routes the manifold pressure to the MAP, but it also has a barb that is open to the atmosphere (it may have some foam rubber on it). When the ecu needs to know the ambient barometric pressure of the atmosphere, the solenoid switches from looking at the manifold reading, and looks at the open barb.

I think the manifold line goes to the bottom and the open barb is the top one, but I am not sure. The MAP sensor gets hooked to the center barb of the solenoid (of that I am sure).

If you run the vacuum line from the manifold straight to the MAP sensor, the ecu will never be able to tell what the atmospheric pressure is and it will affect how the car runs, and how much boost is made, and it should set a fault code (but doesn't always).

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

That's what I got right now. I just hooked the MAP vacuum line to the far right one myself. None of them were in use so I don't know what is wastegate/egr/what. I haven't tried to start the car yet to see if it worked just wanted to double check.

If anyone knows for SURE which one I should use lemme know. I'd appreciate it.

It's a crappy cell phone picture I know but it gives you guys an idea on what I got to work with. If I hook it up to the one not meant for the MAP sensor will it still work fine? Or do they all do different things and only one of them reads actual atmospheric pressure?

Also, running the vacuum line straight from manifold to MAP sensor I wasn't getting any fault codes. But that doens't mean anything.

And now that I think about it, i may have started getting crappy gas mileage right around when I put in my vacuum block to clean up the vacuum lines. At which point the map sensor was no longer routed through the baro solenoid. Would that cause the map to read wrong and give me way crappy gas mileage? When I got the car I was doing 25ish on the highway. Now I'm in the 13-15 range.

Hybrid booster

Well.. I pulled the codes and well.. LOL

13 - MAP sensor, vacuum
    15 - Speed sensor
    22 - Coolant sensor
    35 - Radiator fan relay
    51 - Oxygen sensor

Map sensor code I think is from me disconnecting the map vacuum line and starting the car, I wasn't getting it before.
    Radiator fan relay code has been there cause I'm using my own manual switch to control the fan and not the stock relay
    Coolant temp sensor code is from when I was setting the timing and disconnected it while the car was running
    Oxygen sensor I just replaced but I may have fouled it out already since I was running so rich and there's so much soot in the exhaust.

Speed sensor, I have no idea?

The baro solenoid should be the one with the light blue wire going to it.
    I think the second wire on all 4 solenoids is dark blue but the wiring diagram I'm looking at is crap, so who knows.
    Just for reference, the egr solenoid should have a yellow wire going to it, the canister purge should have a pink wire going to it, and the boost control should have a light green wire going to it.

Hybrid booster

Awesome thanks. I'll go make sure it's on the one w/ the light blue wire then I'll reset the LM so I can know for sure if the codes i'm getting are sticking or were just from me messing around with stuff.

Hybrid booster

Looks like i fouled out another o2 sensor. That explains why I have been running so rich and couldn't figure it out no matter how I adjusted the fuel pressure. So much soot build up in my exhaust it's fouling them btiches out. GOnna go buy a new one and change it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast