Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Shelby Dodge Nightmare Begins....

Mitsu booster

Exclamation My Shelby Dodge Nightmare Begins....

Hello everyone I am new to the website here, and reviewing this site it's amazing. It it well put together. I like it very much.

I would like to address the title of this thread. My Shelby Dodge Nightmare begins. If you are on some other mailing lists, and/or forum sites, you might have heard this story. If you have not, I will include you in on the total nightmare. I am going to be asking a lot of questions as far as where to start and where to go on doing things. So, without further adew, here is my story.

Hello everyone, now that I am going to be an overnight mechanic, I thought that I would be able to tell everyone my story regarding my 87' Shelby GLH-S. Some of you may have already heard the story, but then some of you haven't... So here goes the story...

It started out in the summer of 06' when I decided to become Mr. BF Goodwrench. I decided that I was going to do a simple oil change. Note to anyone, when you are not thinking clearly, please don't work on a Shelby. Some might have said I was a blonde that day. I only put in 2 quarts of oil. I know I am going to get a lot of slack for that one. Needless to say my Shelby didn't take too good to that.. It started knocking. So, I parked it right away and added the rest of the recommended amount of oil. But, it still kept knocking.

I thought that it would be a lifter that was causing the problem. So, I went to get a lifter for the car, and replaced it, and in doing so... Man am I going to be getting some heat from this. Let's say when I went to put the valve cover back on, I didn't have a torque wrench with me. And from that point I am sure you all know what's coming next. Yep, you guessed it, the bolts that hold down the valve cover snapped. 3 of them snapped. I was freaking out. Well, the car now leaks oil really bad. So, I decided to not drive it anymore because, now it's making a lot of clicking noise. So, my Shelby sat for the rest of the year. I promised my Shelby, once I get my tax return, I was going to get her fixed back up to par.

Now, we are in February of '07. Making the car now considered a classic automobile, 20 years old. I called all around town in Des Moines, IA. I was looking for a mechanic that would be able to restore/rebuild the engine, because I knew that there was problems in it. No one in my area would touch a car that old. I was directed to the dealership of Des Moines Chrysler ((515) 270-8100 - 4410 Merle Hay Rd, Des Moines, IA), where I spoke with a man named Kevin. I asked him if he would be able to rebuild engines. He said, "Yes they can do that." I advised him that it's a 1987 Shelby GLH-S Dodge Charger. He advised me that shouldn't be a problem. I then proceeded to ask, how much it would cost to do something like that. He advised me that it would cost around $3,500.00, and that's with the parts and labor.

I knew that would be kind of pricey, but in the long run I can make that work. I advised Kevin, that I would have a tow truck bring in the automobile so he would be able to start working on it. 2 days had passed by and I hadn't heard anything from him. So, I called the dealership and he said that he is going to lunch and he would be working on it right after he got back. I told him that would be fine. Later that day he called me and told me that his boss would like it if I could make a payment of $1,000.00 for the work that they are going to be doing. So, I said that I could do that, and made me believe that I only had $2,500.00 left to pay now.

Well, here is where the story gets interesting. 2 days later Kevin, calls me back. Now, let me clue everyone in. I work at nights from 7:00pm to 7:00am. So, when I get home I like to have at least 7-8 hours of sleep. Which would make it about 4-5:00pm before I would wake up. He called me around 2:00pm and told me that he found several problems with my car, and it's going to cost me an additional $5,000.00 to fix. Now, I am awake. He told me to think about it and give him a call on Monday, because he called me on a Friday.

Well, Monday came around and I was still thinking about everything that he said. So, he called me on Tuesday, and I asked him what the total cost would be for everything, he told me a different price this time which came to a price of about $7,100.00. I told him that there is no way shape or form, I can get my hands on that kind of money. I asked him if there is any type of payment arrangements, he said that he would check with his boss, and call me back. 30 minutes later he called me back and said that they don't offer any kind of payment arrangements (In my mind, if you don't offer any kind of payment arrangements, and I am sure this isn't the first time someone has asked this, wouldn't you know right off the bat?)

I told him just get my car put back and I will have a tow truck come and get it, and bring it home. This is where it caught me off guard. He told me that they wouldn't be able to put it back together (And in there shop it says they are ASE Certified, which I now know means NOTHING, except they might know more about changing oil than I do at this point. ).

I then asked, "What condition is my car?" Of course I am thinking just what you would be thinking if you were in the same situation. They told me that the wheels are off, and there is no shocks on it, and bottom line that it's just a shell with no front wheels. I asked them if they would be able to put it in a condition where I can tow it home. They said they wanted me to come and take a look at it first (Which means, HECK NO!). I came out there after trying to figure out what I am going to do about this (Lawyer, Attorney General, BBB, Local News).

Come to find out the only thing wrong with the ENGINE (The thing I wanted them to fix only), was a crank shaft, and two pistons were messed up. They told me that they couldn't find a crank shaft for this year of an automobile, so they would be able to get a re-manufactured engine. That's not going to keep my car in the classic condition that I want it. :bang head So, now I called the tow company and told them to go and pick up my Shelby at Des Moines Chrysler. I told the towing company that there is no engine, no transmission, no steering column, and no tires on the car. They told me that wouldn't be a problem.

Well, luckily the guy that went to pick it up called me and said there is a problem. He suggested that I get the tires on the car before he tows it. He later told me that Des Moines Chrysler, wanted him to just tow it like that, and not caring the damages it would cause. Not in those exact words, but they tried to get him to tow it just the way it was with no front tires on it, with a flat bed. He refused, and wanted to speak to me first. I told him that he did the right thing in calling me. :banana: So, today I went out with the tires and told Kevin, that I am there to put on the tires. He said, "Ok." And, went on his business, and didn't offer anyone to assist me.

I have posted pictures of my Shelby as we speak, on a web page that you will be able to view. I didn't want to post it on this forum due to the fact that they are large in size. There is no pop-ups and is ad-free. So, no worries there, and it's work friendly. You will be able to view all of the photos, and I also posted the invoice, and the thank you letter I received from Des Moines Chrysler. It's completely horse dung on what they did to me. The site address is listed here.. http://www.soulserpentmedia.com/Dodg...elbyStory.html

So, I want everyone to know I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General, and filed cases upon the issues. I have tried to contact the local media regarding the issue and I have gotten no response. I have gotten a response from the Better Business Bureau, and they said that a case has been filed and they are waiting for response from the Company. If they contact me I am to go to their website right away and post exactly what was said and what was done. If I don't get resolution with that, I will take the next step and take this company to small claims court.

Thank you for taking your time on reading this. All comments and post are welcome.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: My Shelby Dodge Nightmare Begins....

You are better off getting a used head from someone on the board. Swapping it on then fixing yours. It is a scary job the 1st time you do it, but not that bad.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

1.) Welcome to the board!

2.) NOTHING should cost $7,000 at a shop to repair on your car.

3.) It's nice to find a fellow Iowegian.

4.) If you want to get the car to Waterloo, we can get ya all fixed up with parts I have laying around, and you supplying the beer.

Hell, if ya want to cover the gas, I can come and trailer the car here.

I can't believe ANY garage would tear a car apart like that BEFORE getting the full go ahead from the owner.

It's going to take some time to get it together, that's for sure. I'm willing to help you out, but I can't come down there to work. Maybe a multiple weekend thing in my garage.

I've got the parts you need (can't GIVE them away) and can hook you up with my machinist on rebuilding that engine.

Unless you are overwhelmed and want to part with the car for cash

turbo addict

WOW. That story is really upsetting. Its a shame that had to happen to a numbered Shelby.

Not to upset you anymore, but that problem could have been fixed by simply pulling the head, dropping the oil pan and replacing the rods while the engine was still IN THE CAR. And even if it had to be pulled, there is NO REASON to pull apart all that stuff. Thats ridiculous. And, as Ken said......all of the parts are available on the forum here CHEAP. Thats the beauty of these cars.....theyre CHEAP. 7k dollars is the most insane thing I have ever heard. 3500 was much more in line.

That being said, I think you need to look into alternative governing bodies to get satisfaction from these thieves. I am in the business here in NY and I know that the BBB and attorney general really dont mean squat. A largely unknown secret to satisfaction in situations like these is the Department of Motor Vehicles. THis is the liscensing bureau that governs the auto repair industry. These are the guys that hang the sign on the front of the building and allow a shop to do business. These are the guys that are just waiting to drop the axe on a shop the screws customers over. Even if a shop hasnt done anything wrong, they dont want the DMV on their back because they are a GIANT headache.

Now, I dont know if its the same in Iowa, but its worth a check into. Call the DMV and see if they are in charge of handling complaints with repair facilites. If theyre anything like the NY DMV, you will have your money back.

turbo addict

Welcome. You've come to the right place. There is more information floating around this forum than anywhere else.

I've used the BBB two times in my life. I don't know if they have old union thugs or retired mafia working for them, but they came through 100% for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    3.) It's nice to find a fellow Iowegian.
    Thanks for solving one of the mysteries of life. I never knew what people from Iowa were called.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

welcome!

I read your story on the Team Omni list I believe. You have come to the right place that is for sure! and Anonymous_User is a pretty good guy to have close to you!

as for an Iowegian...... i dont even know how to pronounce that!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Rhymes with Norwegian.

Proper term would be Iowan.

Or if your into acronyms:

Idiots
    Out
    Wandering
    Around

turbo addict

I pull the engine and tranny out of my GLH with removing my sturts or sub frame.

^^ you mean witOUT, right?

What does the official book say on this procedure? Pull the k-member or pull the motor/trans out the top?

I'd say, since he pulled the k-member, he doesn't know the cars too well. If the book says to drop then, I guess he was following procedure, but if it says NOT to pull it, he's just an incompetent fool.

I'd fight as much as I had to to get my money back!

turbo addict

Opps, I meant without.

Still too early in the monring.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    ^^ you mean witOUT, right?

What does the official book say on this procedure? Pull the k-member or pull the motor/trans out the top?

I'd say, since he pulled the k-member, he doesn't know the cars too well. If the book says to drop then, I guess he was following procedure, but if it says NOT to pull it, he's just an incompetent fool.

I'd fight as much as I had to to get my money back!
    You dont have to pull the k-frame or pull it out the top. The motor and tranny drop out the bottom of the car without any trouble. Leave the k-frame, struts, suspension alone. Just raise it up on the lift.

turbo addict

Back when I lived in Indiana and worked at an independent shop we routinely swapped motors for less than 2k with a warranty and everything. I hate to see a guy whose just learning go through such a terrible experience. When I was growing up I heard of people and had friends parents go through things like that and I made a vow to myself to do all my own work. Good luck to you. At least you got the car out of there.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Damn dude. That really sucks.

I guess that's why they call them 'stealerships'.

Anyway, I'm sure that with a little info, and a little help, you'll get that baby back on the road!
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Mitsu booster

Wow, I would like to first thank everyone that provided me with good information. I know when I talked to Ken, he told me to check out this site. It seems like I would be in good hands here. I think I will have to give the DMV a call here in Iowa. It doesn't hurt to ask. From what I discussed with another person here at work, they told me the only reason they would have pulled the K frame and the Shocks off is to add up the labor. That's wrong. I only wanted the engine rebuilt. That means working on the engine, not the whole car. I know there are some other things that need to be tinkered with, but I was going to do those things myself, or wait until a later time to get it fixed. I feel that they had no right to tear my car apart like they did without permission. I understand you may need to take the engine out and the transmission, but the shocks, and the K-Frame. Come on, I am not mechanically inclined, but I know the shocks, and the frame have nothing to do with rebuilding the engine. I think they were looking at the dollar signs instead of taking care of what the customer asks.

It's almost like telling a doctor, I have a broken nose, and they do a complete face lift and charging you twice the amount it was originally going to cost. And, was unauthorized. I think the next thing is to contact a lawyer to find out what all of my options are, but I have also been advised to watch out for lawyers as well, they can be just a crooked as a mechanic. So, it's kind of a scary area to get into.

boostaholic

They could be crooked, they are definitely retarded and didn't know what to do, most likely a bit of both. They should never have gone that deep. Jeez, as others have stated ALL that work and more could have been done IN car. The '87 FSM does not say remove the K-frame when dropping the engine out the bottom...or the top for that matter....though in and L-body it does make it easier coming out the bottom. If you want a copy of the factory service manual procedures for your case against them I'd be happy to scan it for you.
    Man, what a story. Sorry you have to go through it, and really sorry it happened to your #'ed car. #232 is feeling your pain!

Welcome to the site. Your in good hands now. Any questions you have, post them up or feel free to PM me.

Mitsu booster

I would love to have a copy of the Factory Service manual Scanned for me. That would be awesome. Because, when I go to discuss this with a lawyer, it will help my case very much so. If you want to post the link here or eMail it to me. Either way would be fine with me. Just let me know.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGLHS324 View Post
    I would love to have a copy of the Factory Service manual Scanned for me. That would be awesome. Because, when I go to discuss this with a lawyer, it will help my case very much so. If you want to post the link here or eMail it to me. Either way would be fine with me. Just let me know.
    PM me with your email addy.

boostaholic

Nevermind the email, here they are. I included the cover and index so you and your lawyer can reference them if needed. Hope this helps!

'87 FSM Cover
    '87 FSM Index
    Engine removal/install page 1
    Engine removal/install page 2
    Engine removal/install page 3

Garrett booster

The FSM really doesn't say whether to remove it from top or bottom, just "remove engine from car" """"BUT""""" on install it does say lower engine into car, must be from the top ? bob

boostaholic

Step 19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast