Thread: turbo ideas

Hybrid booster

turbo ideas

i have a garret t03 on my car right now from an 89 t2, im getting a turbo from a merkur for free, can i use anything from it for mine, say the turbine and housing?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: turbo ideas

What kind of turbo is it off the merkur? Might be a Ford version of the same T03?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

im not sure what they came with i think the guy said t04

If it's off of a Merkur XR4TI, I think the older ones used the same turbo as the older turbo Mustangs and Thunderbirds. If I'm not mistaken, it's a t03 and the compressor side is the equivalent of our super 60. Later years might have got the smaller IHI turbo which as I understand it is comparable in size to the TI Mitsu. This is what both of my '88 T-bird tc's had.

Hybrid booster

its an 89 merkur xr4ti

Hmm. Did a little research and it looks like the '88 and '89 Thunderbirds were the only cars that got stuck with the crappy little IHI turbo.

Your '89 XR4TI turbo should be a Garrett T03 with a .60 ar cold side and a .48 ar hot side. The older ones got a .63 hot side. It would definately be worth having though as you could use the compressor and center section with a .63 ar Chrysler turbine housing and have the equivalent of a Super 60.

Hybrid booster

allright wicked, thanks alot man im excited now

turbo addict

Nope, you can't use that ford turbo as a bolt-on anything for your turbo dodge.

Best just to sell it and start yoru turbo upgrade funds.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Nope, you can't use that ford turbo as a bolt-on anything for your turbo dodge.

Best just to sell it and start yoru turbo upgrade funds.
    That's interesting. I could swear there was a thread on the other board awhile back where someone was running a Ford T3 on one of our cars. I'll see if I can dig it up and get some more information.

turbo addict

Here's what the compressor housing looks like. It's going take some work to get it work with Turbo Dodge.
    You can take the 60trim compressor wheel off, take the TII garrett compressor housing off and get it machine to fit the 60 trim wheel as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Here's what the compressor housing looks like. It's going take some work to get it work with Turbo Dodge.
    You can take the 60trim compressor wheel off, take the TII garrett compressor housing off and get it machine to fit the 60 trim wheel as an upgrade.
    Right, you could pay to have the machine work done, or you could spend a few minutes with a welder, cutting torch, scrap plate, and muffler tubing to make an adapter for the inlet and outlet to go from the bolt together flange to hoses. Pretty much the same situation as converting an early TI turbo to work in a blowthrough application except you need to make two adapters instead of one.
    The important part is that the Ford center section will fit the Chrysler turbine housing. The rest is kiddie stuff.

Here's one that shows wastegate can mounting.