Thread: New year,same problem stuck at 23 Psi.

Hybrid booster

New year,same problem stuck at 23 Psi.

I have stock large can wastegate actuator on my car and I can't get more than 23 psi. I have my manual boost controller set at 30 psi. I check this with 30 psi compressed air and the wastegate actuator would just start to creep open. I don't have a boost leak. So my only guess is that the wastegate flapper is lifting off the seat. But why.? I know people have run more than 23 psi with a stock large can wastegate actuator.

Re: New year,same problem stuck at 23 Psi.

Maybe a weak spring? I'm sure they vary a little from one large can to another. Have you tried shimming the bracket to add a little preload?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSXT802 View Post
    I have stock large can wastegate actuator on my car and I can't get more than 23 psi. I have my manual boost controller set at 30 psi. I check this with 30 psi compressed air and the wastegate actuator would just start to creep open. I don't have a boost leak. So my only guess is that the wastegate flapper is lifting off the seat. But why.? I know people have run more than 23 psi with a stock large can wastegate actuator.
    That's true, however they vary a lot. You may want to invest in a brand new one. There's quite a difference between most used ones and a brand new one. You can also try using some springs for some assistance. You could also make your current actuator threaded, which would make it adjustable. You could also put some washers underneath it too, before you mount it.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

I think just adding an external spring is easiest, but any of the above should work.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Maybe a weak spring? I'm sure they vary a little from one large can to another. Have you tried shimming the bracket to add a little preload?
    I tried shimming, one washer each side net gain was maybe 1 psi . my goal is 28-30 psi so 5-7 washers is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CSXT802 View Post
    I tried shimming, one washer each side net gain was maybe 1 psi . my goal is 28-30 psi so 5-7 washers is not going to happen.
    Well, in that case, you're only other options were listed by Mario and Anonymous. Either buy a new can or add an external spring.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Well, in that case, you're only other options were listed by Mario and Anonymous. Either buy a new can or add an external spring.
    Will the typical throttle return spring work.?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Yes it will. You will want to try different spring strengths until you are happy.

I prefer to run the spring from the flapper arm to the wastegate bracket so it pulls in the same plane as the wastegate. The hardest part is getting access back there to do it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    Yes it will. You will want to try different spring strengths until you are happy.

I prefer to run the spring from the flapper arm to the wastegate bracket so it pulls in the same plane as the wastegate. The hardest part is getting access back there to do it.
    Ok, I'll try the spring tomarrow. If that does not pan out, I'll have to pony up with the $100 to get A new adjustable one. Thanks guys.!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Try a couple of washers. One won't make much of a difference, but two or three will really cause a jump in preload. I don't think it is a linear curve as you would suggest.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Try a couple of washers. One won't make much of a difference, but two or three will really cause a jump in preload. I don't think it is a linear curve as you would suggest.
    ^^^ yep it will. I used to run 2 1/8" washers on my car.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

The only problem I've ever run into shimming with washers is taking too much travel out of the can to get the preload high enough to reach target boost. The result is you end up with a very high "minimum boost" and can run into boost creep problems because the wastegate can't open far enough to get the job done. This was trying for 30 psi with a small can though, so probably not an issue in this case.
    If you try the external spring route, most parts stores sell an assortment pack of springs in the "Help" section with various lengths/diameters. Something like that would let you experiment with different springs until you found the right one.
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 03-28-2007 at 11:20 PM.