Thread: Drive Shaft Shop axles

turbo addict

Drive Shaft Shop axles

I broke a few axles last year and I'm tired of changing axles at the track so I want some Drive Shave Shop axles. I know one guy here locally has had good luck with them but I'd like to know who else is running them. Also where's the best place to get them, I don't see any of our vendors listing them but I did notice they went up $100 late last year to $699 on their site. Thanks.

Kelly

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Re: Drive Shaft Shop axles

Ouch. What car is this for?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

DSS axles drive John Shepherd's 7 second AWD Eagle Talon. His differentials started breaking instead of the axles. Then he went to a Ford 9" which solved both issues, but still.

They are excelletn quality. Steel is also extremely expensive lately, so that could be why the price is up.

turbo addict

92 Daytona R/T, had 275 whp last year, looking for ~325 this year.

They claim that the price increase but claim a stronger product. I just don't see them reengineering our axles for the amount of them they sell. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure it's money well spent.

Are you running your car in slicks often? If not you may have an engine alignment issue causing your axle breakage. I ran drag radials daily and still haven't broken an axle in a lighter car, but also making a good deal more power.

Also, check motor mounts as well. Bad motor mounts will allow excessive axle hop. A solid rear mount will help this greatly and cause the tires to just break loose rather than hop.

If none of these are issues and you still want axles then yes, they are a GREAT product.

Excellent products from DSS. I have sold several sets over the years and have had great luck with the product and their customer service.

They just warrantied a inner tripod that I busted out of installers error.

Even if you do break an axle outside of warranty timeframe the repair cost is not all that bad. If you have extra special carnage they will help you out even more! At least they have for me. I had one GSR car that ate three pass. side axles. Eventually Frank just sent us a stage 5 set and we sent back the Stage 3's. Straight swap no $ involved. DSS is one of the best retailers I have dealt with in the a/m. HANDS DOWN.

Dave

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

DSS axles kick ---

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Are you running your car in slicks often? If not you may have an engine alignment issue causing your axle breakage.
    Kelly's car is a full weighted IROC R/T which translates to as heavy as a TD as they come! Kelly is ripping off some nice 60 foots as he is easily in the
    12s with his current setup. I think his style of launching doesn't help on the axle situation either ( the Genesky/Donovan school of 60 foots)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Yes, they are really nice. I haven't hit the track with mine, but I'm sure they are overkill. I just wanted axles that I knew wouldn't break, period. They are all new (not this reman garbage) with silicone boots.

turbo addict

Thanks guys, that's what I was wanting to hear.

I always run slicks and I have all poly mounts. My engine moves very little on the dyno. My engine 'was' centered but it's all out now. And my trans did have a diff problem, I still have an axle stuck in it that may have been causing them to break. I'll be running a 568/523 w/OBX this year.

And yes, as Steve said, I leave nothing on the table when I am at the track.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

And yes, as Steve said, I leave nothing on the table when I am at the track.

Speaking of Genesky,(Cliff calls him kablamski) lol, He is definitely a test bed for destuction.Hundreds of passes involving clutch dumps bouncing off the rev limiter w/ 1.7 60's are the norm.
    Kelley and I have been violently shoved into the donovan/Genesky school of hard launches...

Bill Baker Rutland,Vermont
    NESDAC president
    90 Dodge Shadow VNT now RR powered
    12.27@116MPH 332HP-390ft-lbs
    2000 Dakota Sport (UDLOOZ hauler)
    82 Rampage sport in full resto
    T3 568 powered in progress BAKERS_REGULATOR site

Anyone have a link for the drive shaft site? I'm looking to upgrade my shafts to something that is stronger. Any suggestions?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Link to DriveShaft Shop Page

This should get you there
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

.....and keep in mind they offering nothing for the A-525. when i spoke w/ the DSS owner last month he said he may discontinue offering all axles for our applications soon due to low volume. if DSS axles can be schnapped, Kelly will do it.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Funny thing is that the axles for the old school Dodges are an upgrade for the Neons because the OS cars have larger hub bearings and to use the larger axles the Neons have to be converted.

The regular 4340 CM axles are good for 600+ hp and the 300M axles are what is in Crawfords car so maybe 1000hp?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.