Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: head porting, who's the man?

on't leave out Todd Nelson.

As of now... the front runners are:

Menegon
    Todd Nelson
    MPGMike

In my own small world, I am up at the top of the list
    Seriously, I'd like to put out a mid level performace and priced +1mm head, but I just can't do it with work, family and no heated garage.

Aaron's suggestion has merit as well so I'd use any one of those 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Steve's heads are worth their weight in gold... He cost me a block!! No seriously he did. Installed a new block with his head and the same cal... I (yes I) burned through a piston because the head was so much better than the stocker it replaced. I never imagined the flow difference would be enough that a custom cal that made 300/341 (stock head) would not have enough fuel. BTW, that cal ran the car ultra rich!!! (with the stock head)
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

I went into a semi-retirement. There were many issues that together prompted me to greatly reduce my workload. The arthritis issues with my hands was the main reason, also included were the price increases by the machine shop I use, long timeframes to get the work completed at the shop, and parts prices & manufacturing time. (I waited 2-1/2 months for a set of valves at one point!) I had a limit on what I wanted to sell heads for and costs necessitated me to increase the prices. I still build heads, one just needs to plan ahead if you'd like one.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Is Steve M. doing heads again? I thought I read somewhere that he got out of it at one point, but I may have been mistaken or had him confused with someone else.

I have a +1mm head out there that runs 10's with stock intake port volume. )

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    If you want the absolute most flow, that would be a Steve Menegon (BadFastGTC) big valved head. If you want the best street/strip standard valve or +1 mm head, check out here:

http://powrehaus.com/2006/12/24/late...bo-dodge-head/

Hope this helps.

Mike

Todd does do very meticulous work. He's a good dude.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    on't leave out Todd Nelson.

As of now... the front runners are:

Menegon
    Todd Nelson
    MPGMike

In my own small world, I am up at the top of the list
    Seriously, I'd like to put out a mid level performace and priced +1mm head, but I just can't do it with work, family and no heated garage.

Aaron's suggestion has merit as well so I'd use any one of those 4.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Steve, thought about doing them when you can and that way, you have some stock?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The breakdown to do all the work for a big valved head is almost divided up into thirds. Roughly $500.00 in parts, $500.00 for the machine shop, leaving me $500.00 to do the porting, polishing, cleaning, set-up and flow work.

Heads can be done for lesser cost and I have done quite a few like that. One can use a lesser cost valve, lesser cost springs, use the factory retainers, and other areas to meet a customer's budget.

There is a lot of time involved that people really don't understand. Some guys ----- about the cost and timeframe, but they generally have no clue as to what goes into a project such as these.

Steve M.

Not taking anything away from Mike or any other ported heads oput there, but the real reason why menegon heads cost more than the other privateers has to do with not the porting, but the machine work and parts. Steve uses high quality special made to his specs valves from one of the industry leaders which i'll let him name instead of me. He told me his cost on those and they take up a good chunk of the head's price. Then, he uses new valvesprings from another leader in springs along with quality locks and retainers..no stockers here... guides... I think he installs new bronze guides... can't remember, but I know he doesn't give you back 130,000 mile guides. Install large OS seats which again, cost $. Now, comes the machine work... resurfacing, pressure testing, installing new seats, quality valve job, etc... THEN he gets paid for his time porting which as a headporter myself, I know he's probably making like $10 a hour on it as parts and machine work can tally up close to $1,000 alone.

My 2-piece intake... I thought about selling a few... frig that! All this crap I am doing to it is worth alot more than $200 of my time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would have loved to get one of your heads, but alas, I never have that kind of cash in one lump sum,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by BadFastGTC View Post
    The breakdown to do all the work for a big valved head is almost divided up into thirds. Roughly $500.00 in parts, $500.00 for the machine shop, leaving me $500.00 to do the porting, polishing, cleaning, set-up and flow work.

Heads can be done for lesser cost and I have done quite a few like that. One can use a lesser cost valve, lesser cost springs, use the factory retainers, and other areas to meet a customer's budget.

There is a lot of time involved that people really don't understand. Some guys ----- about the cost and timeframe, but they generally have no clue as to what goes into a project such as these.

Steve M.

Anyone that complains about your price or questions your methods is not worthy of getting one of your cylinder heads.

I am saving up for one.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I agree Steve M. I don't question the price. If I am staying with the 8valve I hope we can work something out.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

My G head was ported by Mike at Turbodynamx, before he started screwing everybody I guess LOL. I heard he used to port for Dart heads. Well my head was amazing to say the least. I went from a swirl to a G head on a 2.2, well normally that would consist of less low end power and slower spoolup....well I had the exact opposite. My low end torque was amazing, on the dyno it hit 317 ft/lbs at 260 WHP levels. And spool up, well I switched to a .63 housing on my super 70 at the same time I did the head swap, but had FASTER spoolup than with the stock swirl and .48 housing!!! The G head still had stock valve sizes, just S60 springs, chambers, bowls, and ports all worked over.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    My G head was ported by Mike at Turbodynamx, before he started screwing everybody I guess LOL. I heard he used to port for Dart heads. Well my head was amazing to say the least. I went from a swirl to a G head on a 2.2, well normally that would consist of less low end power and slower spoolup....well I had the exact opposite. My low end torque was amazing, on the dyno it hit 317 ft/lbs at 260 WHP levels. And spool up, well I switched to a .63 housing on my super 70 at the same time I did the head swap, but had FASTER spoolup than with the stock swirl and .48 housing!!! The G head still had stock valve sizes, just S60 springs, chambers, bowls, and ports all worked over.

Yeah, I spoke with him personally several times, as he lived in my old hood, but then he screwed me over on a gauge. The guy is about worthless in my opinion.

Mike @ turbodynamx did my head also...it does seem to flow quite well!!

turbo addict

If you are looking for something less expensive, I can hook you up with the guy who did my head. I wanted to go with a Menegen head, I just flat out didnt have the coin (maybe later, if I dont go 16V). AMP performance did a nice job on this head for a real reasonable cost. I just got the car going, and I dont know how well it will actually run because I havent started tuning. I will say that off idle and just cruising around, its SUPER crisp. And using my old fuel map, the car is noticeably leaner. So, im expecting some gains.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13248

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

your last head was a g-head...hence the reason for much better throttle response as the calibrations are different. You did run a g head before this one, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

your last head was a g-head...hence the reason for much better throttle response as the calibrations are different. You did run a g head before this one, correct?
    Werd. But, the fact that I started to run lean up top (at 10PSI) makes me think I may be flowing a little better. It could be the intake too. Regardless, im pretty happy with the head.......for now.

Hybrid booster

I do everything myself. I am the man!

No really.....*Hears crickets*

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Joey.. I don't doubt it!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Joey.. I don't doubt it!!

Would you believe in my own mind?

Psssst, you're blowing it for me. My ego is fragile...

LOL... SDAC and tailgate beers again this year... Been too long!!! I have cuban cigars!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast