Thread: Doesn't like 5th gear?

Doesn't like 5th gear?

Patient = 1987 CSX 5 speed stock trans

Symptom = Doesn't like to go into 5th apoximately 50% of the time, slight grinding noise, seems like it's barely in when it does go in

Prognosis = ???

Additional notes = I have a slight pre-load on the solid bobble strut, could this effect shifts into 5th, and not any other gears? Seems to be worse when shifting quickly at higher RPMs. Cables and everything else appear to be in good shape.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Doesn't like 5th gear?

I know it's a basic question but how is the fluid level?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Mitsu booster

Sounds like a 5th gear syncro cracked.I had 2 a525's with bad 5th gear synchros..grinds a little going in and sometimes pops back out of gear? Rod linkage cars also had a problem with shifting when the rear bobble strut went bad but cable shifters shouldn't have that problem..or less likely

Chris

Fluid level is good.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    Sounds like a 5th gear syncro cracked.I had 2 a525's with bad 5th gear synchros..grinds a little going in and sometimes pops back out of gear?
    Chris

Yes that pretty much sums it up. And sometimes the shifter goes into a "dead spot" where 5th should be, but it's not in gear and gets kinda of stuck, then sort of snaps back. Any of that sound familiar?

boostaholic

My 555 was doing that until I took it apart and replaced the whole synchro assembly. I'd pop the end plate off and take a look at it. Either the gear or the stop ring or the synchro/hub assembly is probably worn or missing teeth.

Mitsu booster

Yah..its a pretty easy fix..just remove the end cover and 5th gear is right there..you don't have to take much more than that apart and the gears and
    synchro's are cheap and easy to replace....its when you get into the lower gears its a little complicated. The synchro is one piece...and they come out in multiple pieces when there's a problem. Good luck

Chris

boostaholic

I,d first check your shift cable adjustment before going into your trans, just my 2 cent.

turbo addict

double clutch and rev match into 5th gear and you should be good. 5th gear is so bad in my daily driver that it flat out wont go into 5th if I dont do all that.

The same thing happened to my 555 this past summer. Both plastic pads on the 5th gear fork were heavily worn with one broken in half. I could watch it not fully engage when my dad shifted while I watched the amount of play between the fork and syncro. If I remember right it was more then a sixteenth of an inch play. Anyway I replaced the black plastic pads (abs maybe?) with some home grown uhmw polyethylene and it completely engages now. But since then 5th really whines (using 5w30), I guess the pads were worn for a long time and it changed the wear pattern on the gears. I didn't think the check the wear pattern or mesh at the time. How would one do that anyway?