Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand Alone Systems...

Mitsu booster

Stand Alone Systems...

I was browsing around online, and looking at diffrent engine managment systems. Heres what i came up with. I plan on running a stand alone, and the AEM system was the most appealing (It was also $3200!!), then on the cheap end, there was Megasquirt (which was $130). AEM seemed more, non-tuner profficent, meaning that it would be the easiest of the two if you knew nothing about computers, had alot of money, and only knew a little bit about cars. Where as the megasquirt, was all user specific, but you had to have a computer programing backround (which i do not have). Any advice? Theres so many diffrent systems and I'm really not sure which one to pick, I really like the AEM system, but its aLLOOOOTTTT of money. So heres my question, Who has a standalone on this forum, and which one, and what are the plus' and minus' of the system you are running?? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Stand Alone Systems...

If you a STALO EFI is what you want, then go SDS. Way cheaper. Talk to Kevin (GLHS592).

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    If you a STALO EFI is what you want, then go SDS. Way cheaper. Talk to Kevin (GLHS592).

Frank
    +1 also the advantage of a SDS you can change settings on the fly anytime no need for a lap top

But if you want better control (staged boost,Sequentional inj,data logging wide band,ect..) try BigStuff3 it's around $1900.00 for a complete system

turbo addict

Go to the SDS website. There is tons of great information there. They even link their competitors. www.sdsefi.com
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Where are you sourcing AEM for $3200!? You can pick up a pn 1060 box (should be that # I think) for a Civic off of Honda-Tech.com for cheap, somewher around $900. They harness to plug into the Honda sockets is $60 from AEM with the pinout diagram. From there it's a simple cut/slplice to correspond our wiring to the Honda's box inputs and outputs. Voila, AEM standalone for cheap.

Then again, you have lots of people on here who seem to like SDS and have experience with it. I don't know of anyone who has gone the AEM route on a TD. From my expereince in the Honda and DSM world it is my favorite tuning system. If you get someone on the keyboard who really knows the ins and outs your car will run like stock at lights, driving, gas mileage, etc, but get way pissed when you press the long skinny pedal. Just my thoughts of course.

Aaron Miller

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves
    Where are you sourcing AEM for $3200!? You can pick up a pn 1060 box (should be that # I think) for a Civic off of Honda-Tech.com for cheap, somewher around $900. They harness to plug into the Honda sockets is $60 from AEM with the pinout diagram. From there it's a simple cut/slplice to correspond our wiring to the Honda's box inputs and outputs. Voila, AEM standalone for cheap.

Then again, you have lots of people on here who seem to like SDS and have experience with it. I don't know of anyone who has gone the AEM route on a TD. From my expereince in the Honda and DSM world it is my favorite tuning system. If you get someone on the keyboard who really knows the ins and outs your car will run like stock at lights, driving, gas mileage, etc, but get way pissed when you press the long skinny pedal. Just my thoughts of course.

Aaron Miller

I can read analog gauges, A/F gauges, Boost gauges, and all that good stuff. I know what the motor needs, and wants to be an animal, but I want to expand my horisons, and take the car to the next level of driveablility, and sheer power. I know of a programer/car guru that is more than willing (obsessed) and wants to see what potential the car really has, if that means using a laptop, fine, that works for me And if there is a way to get a used AEM system and splicing the wiring, that may just be the answer im looking for, it looks like one of the more detailed standalones out there.

Mitsu booster

Ray you don't need a AEM Who has a aem that you know of that is running in the 8's I know who is running a SDS in the 8's.

turbo addict

That's right. Why buy one of those complicated and MORE EXPENSIVE stand alone systems? Yeah, AEM, FAST, etc. are great systems. They do exactly what they are intended to do. SDS is awesome because thick headed people like me can use it. I'm not very good at computers and such. In fact, I hate them. I like SDS. It truly is SIMPLE. After looking at Kevin Davis's SDS a little and seeing what he ran in his 8 valve Shelby Charger (7.2X @ 100+ mph in the 1/8th), I was sold. Use a wideband with it and you have a nearly foolproof setup.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

i run a FAST set-up, and it's real nice but expensive. It's not a real
    easy thing to use if you don't know anything about tuning. It's a pro grade set-up basically. Team Crawford uses FAST in the srt4 that runs 8's. It's in the 3,000 range and controls everything but it's seems to me that your lack of tuning and pc knowledge is limited so I don't recomend Fast for a newbie.
    I have heard and read of alot of good things about SDS so ya might wanna go that route. It wouldn't hurt to look at Fast at fuelairspark.com ....
    good luck man!!

Turbo Joe______87 CSX # 175

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
    Team Crawford uses FAST in the srt4 that runs 8's.
    ..... and Stephane whooped them

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo
    ..... and Stephane whooped them

Brian

with a SDS and no nitrous

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

heck yes!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

with an old school motor!! much respect here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boost+Spray=:o
    Ray you don't need a AEM Who has a aem that you know of that is running in the 8's I know who is running a SDS in the 8's.
    If everyone went by this mentality nobody would get any faster. Just because you don't know of someone running it on a TD doesn't mean that it should be ruled out entirely.

If you follow everyone elses lead you'll only be as fast as them.

Aaron Miller

[QUOTE=8valves]If you follow everyone elses lead you'll only be as fast as them

i like that saying mind if i use it in my sig.? that's so very true!!!
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

[QUOTE=Turbo Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valves
    If you follow everyone elses lead you'll only be as fast as them

i like that saying mind if i use it in my sig.? that's so very true!!!
    Just so long as you give me credit for it! It's something I try to abide by with my cars, as well as personal life.

Aaron Miller

boostaholic

what about the megasquirt system. any thoughts on this. easy to use/hookup/tune?

Hybrid booster

I'm going to be going with the megasquirt route this summer (fingers crossed) I plan on doing a good write up on it with plenty of pics. Lots of people in the TD community have shown interest, a couple people have done it, but no real documentation of it so far.

boostaholic

i talked to a guy thats running one in his sundance and he says that he's happy. i think he said that there was about 350 tied up in to it. i dont know what it controls. and you can adjust it on the fly. im just woundering for that price if its going to control everything that i want it to

Hybrid booster

With the megasquirt you have to have a real good knowledge of how everything works. The new MSII controls both spark and fuel (As does the MSI with megasquirt n' spark) and can datalog as well as several other functions. The MSII is relatively new, so people are still working on getting new features such as boost and traction control, but being open source its constantly being developed. The megasquirt can control everything a FAST or Motech system can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast