Thread: Spring rates for drag race

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Spring rates for drag race

Thinking about going with coil-overs for the front of my Horizon for better tire clearance.

Currently I have coil-overs in the rear with 450Lb springs. This pretty much eliminated rear-end squat. The front is stock 110k mile Horizon springs and KYB struts.

My question is regarding spring rates in the front. I currently have two ideas.

1. Keep the spring rate soft in the front, so that the front end has less of a tendency to rise.

2. Use stiff springs in the front. That way, with the spring at full extension, the strut will keep the front end from rising.

What do you think is the best idea and why?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Spring rates for drag race

Good question.

I always thought the stiffer the better all around so that there is less body movement which is just wasted HP.

With that said tho, I have seen some crazy stuff, like a 5.0L mustang with a 4-banger mustang coil on the right rear only so that it squatted (crooked) and hooked on the street, LOL...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Well I called Ground Control. Their tech guy said the ideal setup would be soft spring up front with a strut with stiff rebound. Opposite for the rear. This would minimize weight transfer to the rear. I guess that would explain why my current setup works decently with the occasional 1.6X 60 ft time.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I know its hard to believe, but some good info w/ links posted on srtforums
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333344

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

What did he mean by "soft"? I was going to recommend a 200 or 250# spring. I've tried a high rate on my front end and promptly took them off. I do adjust the rebound control a little stiffer up front and in back I adjust it a little stiffer on one side. I also find the car to work better with the rear on the soft side. Personally, I feel a stiff rear (moreso with a stck car), will cause the front to lift more and reduce traction.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Well I called Ground Control. Their tech guy said the ideal setup would be soft spring up front with a strut with stiff rebound. Opposite for the rear. This would minimize weight transfer to the rear. I guess that would explain why my current setup works decently with the occasional 1.6X 60 ft time.

I would assume he meant soft as possible. I'm thinking of keeping it as close to the current spring rate that I have... maybe 160-180lbs or so. I don't want it to dive so hard under braking that I cut a on the sheetmetal.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFastGTC View Post
    What did he mean by "soft"? I was going to recommend a 200 or 250# spring. I've tried a high rate on my front end and promptly took them off. I do adjust the rebound control a little stiffer up front and in back I adjust it a little stiffer on one side. I also find the car to work better with the rear on the soft side. Personally, I feel a stiff rear (moreso with a stck car), will cause the front to lift more and reduce traction.

Steve M.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Mike, I am using 250# on the front of the Shadow and 400# on the rear. I thought the same when choosing front coils, I didn't want to cut into the tires on decel/braking.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500