Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIII swap - what do I need?

TIII swap - what do I need?

I'm planning on swapping a TIII motor into my 87 TBI Daytona and have the front half of a 91 spirit r/t as a donor.

Can I swap just the engine/trans and be done with it, or do I have to swap the k-frame and control arms as well? Will the headlights work correctly - what makes the motors actuate? Can anyone offer me any tips for the wiring changes? What about fuel pump and lines? I'm looking for any information that will help me with the swap.

Thanks in advance

Hybrid booster

Re: TIII swap - what do I need?

Swapping over the mechanical parts is not that difficult. Do everything. Use the Spirit under-hood harness, retaining only lights, turn signals, etc. from the Daytona. You don't need to swap K frame and control arms, but I think you'll have to swap shifters to get the cables to work properly (I could be wrong on that).

You should have a wiring schematic for both cars so you know what wires to keep and which ones to ditch on both sides. Furthermore, often there is a wire that has a different location in the bulkhead from one application to the other. The schematics keep you from making a computer blowing error.

Mike

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The engine will drop right in and you need to use original right side and front mounts. You can use the R/T axle shafts or your old ones. You might need to swap cables and shifters but not a big deal.

Your wiring will be a PITA but with time, I bet you could do it. If it was me, I would run a dist off the exhaust cam and use your 8Valve wiring and have a cal done.

You can swap the K-member if you want, that way you can have the R/T's big brakes but you must use the R/T knuckles etc, the big MC and maybe the prop valve and this will also let the 568 bobble strut line up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

^ ME

And if you are in the Chicago area you arent that far away

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The engine will drop right in and you need to use original right side and front mounts. You can use the R/T axle shafts or your old ones. You might need to swap cables and shifters but not a big deal.
    I can't see using the unequal length shafts when it's just as easy to swap the equal length ones in while everything's already out.

Your wiring will be a PITA but with time, I bet you could do it. If it was me, I would run a dist off the exhaust cam and use your 8Valve wiring and have a cal done.
    IMHO, it's easier and "cleaner" to deal with the wiring issues and use the stock computer (I have it all already) than it would be to create something that's useable from my TBI harness.

You can swap the K-member if you want, that way you can have the R/T's big brakes but you must use the R/T knuckles etc, the big MC and maybe the prop valve and this will also let the 568 bobble strut line up.
    The bobble shock won't line up if I don't swap k-members?

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    Swapping over the mechanical parts is not that difficult. Do everything. Use the Spirit under-hood harness, retaining only lights, turn signals, etc. from the Daytona. You don't need to swap K frame and control arms, but I think you'll have to swap shifters to get the cables to work properly (I could be wrong on that).

You should have a wiring schematic for both cars so you know what wires to keep and which ones to ditch on both sides. Furthermore, often there is a wire that has a different location in the bulkhead from one application to the other. The schematics keep you from making a computer blowing error.

Mike
    I have the FSM for the 87 car, do you know where I can find a 91 FSM? I've been watching the for sale forum and they don't seem to come up for sale much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    ^ ME

And if you are in the Chicago area you arent that far away
    Damn that's a ton of TIII cars you've got there! If you're up for the trip and feel like helping, I've got a comfortable couch and a fridge full of beer. I'm on the south side of the city in Oak Forest.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by CletusJones View Post
    Damn that's a ton of TIII cars you've got there! If you're up for the trip and feel like helping, I've got a comfortable couch and a fridge full of beer. I'm on the south side of the city in Oak Forest.
    Or if you feel like a road trip bring the car and the parts cause I have a large shop and the knowledge for everything you need to do the job. Just dont forget the beer

South side huh? Damn it,that make it about 3 hours

IMHO, it's easier and "cleaner" to deal with the wiring issues and use the stock computer (I have it all already) than it would be to create something that's useable from my TBI harness.

The bobble shock won't line up if I don't swap k-members?
    Wiring, makes me shudder, :mecry, lol!

The bobble strut, it probably will but Jackson would know better. I've swapped a few K-members around on Daytona's and they never seem to be the same?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Take the Spirit R/T k-member, spindles, and brakes for a bettwe setup than the '87

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

The bobble strut, it probably will but Jackson would know better. I've swapped a few K-members around on Daytona's and they never seem to be the same?
    Ya,the bobble strut is the same from the 87 to the 91 frame. I would swap in 91 cause the dual pivot frames are night and day ahead of the 88 and older units. Then you can use the spinldes and big brakes off the Spirit also.

So,how much you looking to spend on this little project? The reason I ask is there is a few things you might want to do to that TIII so its more reliable.

Garrett booster

Yeah, like send the head off to be checked for cracks.

TIII, No thanks.

They are not very reliable, and very expensive to fix. I would spend a little more initially and drop an SRT engine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMoparKing View Post

TIII, No thanks.

They are not very reliable, and very expensive to fix. I would spend a little more initially and drop an SRT engine in it.

I tend to disagree, once there fixed, there fixed,

Ya,the bobble strut is the same from the 87 to the 91 frame. I would swap in 91 cause the dual pivot frames are night and day ahead of the 88 and older units. Then you can use the spinldes and big brakes off the Spirit also.

So,how much you looking to spend on this little project? The reason I ask is there is a few things you might want to do to that TIII so its more reliable.
    Cool, what size wheels would I have to run to clear them? What do I need to do to convert the drums as well?

Cost is obviously a factor, but reliability is very important to me. I'm going to be driving this thing every day. What sort of stuff needs to be done? IIRC it's a 30 - 40k mile motor.

Or if you feel like a road trip bring the car and the parts cause I have a large shop and the knowledge for everything you need to do the job. Just dont forget the beer

South side huh? Damn it,that make it about 3 hours
    Where are you at in WI?

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMoparKing View Post

TIII, No thanks.

Why are they not reliable? Is there an average figure that it costs for the SRT swap?

Cool, what size wheels would I have to run to clear them? What do I need to do to convert the drums as well?

Cost is obviously a factor, but reliability is very important to me. I'm going to be driving this thing every day. What sort of stuff needs to be done? IIRC it's a 30 - 40k mile motor.

The rears bolt up, unbolt the drums, bolt up the discs. Its really that simple.

Swap over the prop valve and go have some fun.

15inch wheels minimum.

Wiring, makes me shudder, :mecry, lol!
    It's not bad. Just take your time planning and it's easy. Why reinvent the wheel when you can tweak it a little?

The rears bolt up, unbolt the drums, bolt up the discs. Its really that simple.

Swap over the prop valve and go have some fun.

15inch wheels minimum.
    That's awesome. What if I don't have the rears? Are there part numbers available that I can source or is this a junkyard quest?

That's awesome. What if I don't have the rears? Are there part numbers available that I can source or is this a junkyard quest?
    Just find a wrecked R/T or GTC, you need to grap the calipers, spindles, brackets, short brake line and the bracket for that and the prop valve. Buy a new 24mm M/C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast