Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stage 5 cals

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Stage 5 cals

Are the cals offered today pretty much the same as past cals or have they evolved or changed? Are they still the Emiro cals?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Stage 5 cals

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Are the cals offered today pretty much the same as past cals or have they evolved or changed? Are they still the Emiro cals?
    We are constantly evolving OUR cals.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Cindy, do you carry the stage 5, 88/89 SMEC's in stock, I'll like to order one. Also would you take a TBI SMEC for a core, or does it have to be a turbo SMEC. Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

We make each one to order. Abd currently are running about 3 weeks out.
    You MUST send a turbo core or pay the core charge. . the TBI will not work,
    Thanks,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

I just got my 87 T2 Stage 5 Cal yesterday... and WOW !!!! its right on the nuts!! the very first startup was a bit rough, but every startup afterwards was just fine! she rips like crazy all the way past redline in my little Omni GLH T2!! i'm very impressed, thanks again Cindy!

on a side note, my oil leak almost disapeared even after installing that S5... maybe you can advertise that on your webpage too!

still another satisfied FWD customer!
    ~Kurt Check
    87 GLHT2 (stock...ish )
    85 GLHT (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by devlish View Post
    I just got my 87 T2 Stage 5 Cal yesterday... and WOW !!!! its right on the nuts!! the very first startup was a bit rough, but every startup afterwards was just fine! she rips like crazy all the way past redline in my little Omni GLH T2!! i'm very impressed, thanks again Cindy!

on a side note, my oil leak almost disapeared even after installing that S5... maybe you can advertise that on your webpage too!

still another satisfied FWD customer!
    ~Kurt Check
    87 GLHT2 (stock...ish )
    85 GLHT (stock)
    may i ask what cal you got, and what setup you have?

2.2 liter, T2 electronics, +40's, Walbro 255, Areo AFPR, FMIC w/ 2.5" pipes, larger Throttle Body, 2.5" turboback exhaust, full suspension & SLH2 brakes.

i got the FWD S5 cal. i later found out it was only running 15psi, not the 18psi... but it still ripped like crazy. i bumped it myself to 18psi and it was fun as hell. up until recently when some other motor issues came about. still like the cal though.

did your motor problems surface from running too much boost? I can't decide what I should go with!!!

What motor problems did you run into?

Hybrid booster

You must have lucked out. I've been trying to get a working S5 for almost a year and a half now. After buying a it from fellow TD'r, I've sent it back 3 times and still don't have one that works. I've made countless phone calls to Cindy in the past 18 months, and all I have are excuses, promises, and a disfunctional calibration.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

not sure what caused the motor problems... could have been the boost, could have been the previous 120k miles. hard to tell. cracked rings or piston is the effect though.

looking to buy a motor to drive the car for the rest of the year, and build this one over the winter. going to go forged pistons, t2 rods, etc.

and yes, i have pretty good luck with FWD.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    You must have lucked out.
    Hi Chris, I wouldn't exactly call it luck. We've sold many of these to many satisfied customers. You've probably got some other issue or setup that is difficult to tune for without being on a dyno. You say you bought it from someone else and we've sent you three replacements?
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

turbo addict

What ignition timing has been run safely with these stage 5 cals? I've melted the engine down twice and still have no idea why after running only 18 psi the second time with walbro, +40%'s, intercooler, and alky/water. Was running around 14 for timing.

Did I mention I have a stage 5 88/89 2.5 cal for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    What ignition timing has been run safely with these stage 5 cals? I've melted the engine down twice and still have no idea why after running only 18 psi the second time with walbro, +40%'s, intercooler, and alky/water. Was running around 14 for timing.

Did I mention I have a stage 5 88/89 2.5 cal for sale?

Well if your base timing was at 14, that's to much. What fuel are you running? I'd say if you melted down two motors and have no clue why, you should invest in a scanner/WB o2 and do some data logging.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

turbo addict

Um, ya. Was hoping the egt gauge would have helped with that but I guess not. Only thing is they were just partial melts so some pistons are still perfectly fine and the second time the block is even still okay, along with rings. 90 compression on a melted piston with a a blown out head gastket(blew out all the coolant in the engine and rad) is pretty good.

I've got other stuff to worry about besides baggin around town all the time looking for a quick race. Need a bike and a house so TD will have to wait a few years and by then srt will be junk yard friendly, maybe even the srt calibur.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Hi Chris, I wouldn't exactly call it luck. We've sold many of these to many satisfied customers. You've probably got some other issue or setup that is difficult to tune for without being on a dyno. You say you bought it from someone else and we've sent you three replacements?
    Who is running the show down there? I have explained this situation to Cindy countless times. She knows the exact history of this computer. I astounds me that I have to explain this yet again!!!! I sent very clear, exact details on my vehicle setup with each returned unit. This is obvious proof that you don't listen or care about this situation.

If my setup is so impossible to tune, then why do the problems only exist when when your calibration is installed?

When every single drivability and performance issue is solved by replacing your calibration with a stock unit, changing NOTHING else. What other issues do I need to address?

I've tried 2 different map sensors, 2 different sets of injectors, 3 different sets of plugs and a few other tricks I've learned after the past 15 years of building Chrysler turbo motors. The result is the always the same. If there's something else I should look at please inform me! I asked Cindy that very question after explaning the problems for the fourth or fifth time, and SHE HERSELF TOLD ME THE CALIBRATION WAS THE PROBLEM!!!!! I have an OTC4000 scan tool, that I thought would help with the diagnosis, but it hasn't been able communicate with any of your cals....even tho I was told that that shouldn't be the case.

This past go-round, I had to call 4 times over the course of a month to get the cal. back in time for the drive to Chryslers at Carlisle, it's still won't run.

I call and talk to Cindy on 7-3-07, explain the problems, I'm told I'll be sent another computer to try.

I call again on 7-24-07, get told the same thing.

Here it is 8-6-07 and still nothing....and I have to start all over explainig the problem?

I give up.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

turbo addict

The local guys keep telling me that I am a dumbass for even using the stage 5 cal. Keep telling me any errors I have with hot and cold starts were the cal. It has worked good for me I think, until something catastrophic happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Who is running the show down there? I have explained this situation to Cindy countless times. She knows the exact history of this computer. I astounds me that I have to explain this yet again!!!!.....SNIP. ....and I have to start all over explainig the problem?

I give up.
    Didn't mean to butt in Chris. I wasn't aware you were working with Cindy so I'll refrain from further useless comment.

Um, ya. Was hoping the egt gauge would have helped with that but I guess not. Only thing is they were just partial melts so some pistons are still perfectly fine and the second time the block is even still okay, along with rings. 90 compression on a melted piston with a a blown out head gastket(blew out all the coolant in the engine and rad) is pretty good.

I've got other stuff to worry about besides baggin around town all the time looking for a quick race. Need a bike and a house so TD will have to wait a few years and by then srt will be junk yard friendly, maybe even the srt calibur.
    EGT is a good indicator to an issue, but it doesn't tell enough to understand whether the high exhaust temp is due to timing or fuel or both. If I understand you to say your using 90 octane fuel, I would suggest using the highest octane available in your area. S5 requires 93 octane at a min. Is the fuel in your area a 90/10 mix?

I can certainly understand a reassesment of the priorities. Good luck and feel free to give us a call if you need further assistance.

turbo addict

Was using 91 octane from Shell. The best gas That I can get around here besides straight race gas at way too high a price. I didn't miss seeing and instruction sheet on your website or in the box did I? It would have been nice to know these things when the cal got to me.

Was using 91 octane from Shell. The best gas That I can get around here besides straight race gas at way too high a price. I didn't miss seeing and instruction sheet on your website or in the box did I? It would have been nice to know these things when the cal got to me.
    Typically, that information is provided when we are given the specs of your setup. If you weren't told that, I'm going to have to speak to the staff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast