Thread: Turbo Selection

Turbo Selection

Guys, I need help selecting a turbo for my Iroc R/T. I was looking into a Holset hx or hy 35 but are there any other good turbos available that might work from maybe a GM turbo diesel or Ford Powerstroke? I'm looking for something as cheap as an ebay Holset (about $300) that would be good for my vehicle.
    I plan on getting a ported and coated exhaust manifold and a stage IV cal from FWD. I already have a Cummins IC, +40's, and 3" exhaust that I will install when I get the cal. THNX.

Garrett booster
    Surrey, BC (aka car theft Capital of Canada)

Re: Turbo Selection

tight budget for a turbo. if you can find a cheap hx40/35 go for it. monitor the for sale forums here and on td.com and you may luck out on something needing a rebuild or one of the 50/57 trim turbos.

Will a FWD staged cal support this big of a turbo? It is calibrated for a stocker but I was hoping it would handle the same boost level (18-20psi).
    BTW, I had a 50 Trim stg III but had to sell it since my wife had not been working for six months. Now, I'm looking for bang for the buck.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If your looking for cheap, get one of those $180 jobs on Ebay, Stage III turbines, 57 compressor trim, T3/T4. You will have to make up your own DP assembly as you can't reuse the stock TIII turbo stuff. They apparently do work and for the price, you can't go wrong.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    If your looking for cheap, get one of those $180 jobs on Ebay, Stage III turbines, 57 compressor trim, T3/T4. You will have to make up your own DP assembly as you can't reuse the stock TIII turbo stuff. They apparently do work and for the price, you can't go wrong.
    Ya,I dont know about them. I have held one in my hand and they are really CHEAP. They have 4.8 metric fasteners holding them together. Thats something that I would hardly trust with wood

Garrett booster
    Surrey, BC (aka car theft Capital of Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Ya,I dont know about them. I have held one in my hand and they are really CHEAP. They have 4.8 metric fasteners holding them together. Thats something that I would hardly trust with wood
    you get what ya pay for. Can't see someone crying when they set themselves up for such things....

I won't go that route! I know others have done the Holset and was wondering if other manufacturers had something that would work too.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info