Thread: BOV mounting

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

BOV mounting

I had my BOV mounted in the short rubber line between the air box and the t-body. I had modified the rubber to have a nipple, but it wasn't sturdy enough and the rubber hose ripped.

So, this weekend I took a spare lower IC hose and cut it in half. I took a piece of 1 3/4 exhaust pipe and welded a nipple on it and put the hose back together with this in the middle. I ran a 3/4 hose from the nipple to the BOV.

First problem, the motor on my drill press burned up so I had to use a hand dril to drill through the nipple and make a hole in the exhaust pipe piece. Since I only have a 3/8" hand drill, I made a 3/8" hole. Do you think this is big enough to vent the pressure quick enough? I think I should probably open it up to the I.D. of the nipple which is probably about 1/2".

Next, from the lower IC hose to the BOV I have 2 ft of rubber 3/4" hose. Will the length of this hose have an effect on the 'performance' of the BOV?

Re: BOV mounting

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    I had my BOV mounted in the short rubber line between the air box and the t-body. I had modified the rubber to have a nipple, but it wasn't sturdy enough and the rubber hose ripped.

So, this weekend I took a spare lower IC hose and cut it in half. I took a piece of 1 3/4 exhaust pipe and welded a nipple on it and put the hose back together with this in the middle. I ran a 3/4 hose from the nipple to the BOV.

First problem, the motor on my drill press burned up so I had to use a hand dril to drill through the nipple and make a hole in the exhaust pipe piece. Since I only have a 3/8" hand drill, I made a 3/8" hole. Do you think this is big enough to vent the pressure quick enough? I think I should probably open it up to the I.D. of the nipple which is probably about 1/2".

Next, from the lower IC hose to the BOV I have 2 ft of rubber 3/4" hose. Will the length of this hose have an effect on the 'performance' of the BOV?
    I'm gonna guess you'll have problems with the 3/8" hole. I did the exact same thing when I moved the BOV to the hard pipe after intercooling the sundance. Cutting torch was out of oxygen and the arbor was bent on my holesaw, so I used a 3/8" drill bit. I even reamed the hole oversize with the bit and it's still getting some wicked compressor surge now. I'm gonna chuck a burr bit for a die grinder in my hand drill and cut the hole in the pipe out to match the inside of the nipple. Hopefully this solves it.
    I don't know about the hose length issue since all mine have been mounted to the IC pipe with a very short section of hose.

Thanks. I figured I wouldn't be able to discharge enough air through a 3/8" hole quick enough.

Well, now, where did I put my carbide burrs......

Did you ever get yours straightened out? I took a burr to mine tonight and opened the hole up to the id of the nipple. It helped alot, but it'll still surge a little bit when letting off from higher boost. I find that a bit strange considering the id of the nipple is a little larger than the inlet on the bov.
    Oh well, it'll do for now. I'll have to redo it whenever I get ready to replace the stock bov with a real one.

Naw, i haven't messed with it. Maybe I'll find time this weekend, but it ain't looking good.

Maybe this will help you?
    http://www.jr-ms.com/projectcsxpage26.html
    I have 5-6 of these adapters laying around. I only hve 2" and 2.25" right now though. The 2" fits tight on the lower boost pipe of my CSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    Maybe this will help you?
    http://www.jr-ms.com/projectcsxpage26.html
    I have 5-6 of these adapters laying around. I only hve 2" and 2.25" right now though. The 2" fits tight on the lower boost pipe of my CSX.
    That's looks sharp. A heck of alot nicer looking than the piece of galvanized pipe welded into a piece of exhaust tubing I'm using now.

Wow, talk about a small world! You're jackrabbitmotorsports on ebay right?
    I (ajh3377) just ordered a #14 NX jet from you a few days ago for my solenoid/fogger nozzle extra injector setup.
    Great price BTW, Summit wants $8 + $10 handeling fee for a single jet.

HAHA yup that's me.
    I actually have to raise my price on jets due to eBay and PayPal fees.
    But they will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than most. Probably about $5-6 shipped.

Your jet ships tomorrow BTW.

-Wade

turbo addict

the hole should be at least an inch, Get the BOV welded directly to the pipe wich should also be 2.25", just heat the lower ic hose a bit and shove it in Use at least a Talon BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    HAHA yup that's me.
    I actually have to raise my price on jets due to eBay and PayPal fees.
    But they will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than most. Probably about $5-6 shipped.
    Yeah, that's still not bad at all. Especially when you consider most places want to tack on a big handeling fee or excessive shipping.
    Your jet ships tomorrow BTW.
    -Wade
    Thanks man!
    I kind of wish I'd ordered a few different sizes, but I think the .014 is about as small as they come. I really need a .012, .013, and .014. I'd considered buying blanks and drilling my own, but where do you get drills that small.

That one is purdy!

Mine is exactly like that except it isn't all chrome and stuff. I am going to rebuild it - my small nipple welded on is thick wall stuff which doesn't leave enough room inside for a big enough hole. And, yes I have a good BOV. Just that the way I had it mounted was not strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    ...And, yes I have a good BOV...

Speaking of good BOV's, does either this or this look like it would be worth spending money on? I'm in need of a decent BOV, but I'm pretty short on cash.