Thread: Question on coil-overs and suspension in general... auto x guys chime in!!!

Mitsu booster

Question on coil-overs and suspension in general... auto x guys chime in!!!

Alright so I've read through every page of all of the TD sites/forums I know of and I think one of the first things I'd like to get set up right on my 90 Sundance RS 2.5 T1 is the suspension.

I have a 1993 Sundance America(TBI) as well and one of the first things I noticed between the two cars is the handling. The 1990 car feels comparitively "free-er" as far as steering goes. Some further research led me to believe it is the K-frame and front suspension geometry(more caster on the 93) which gives it the feeling I'm describing. I found that swapping the k-frame, knuckles, and lower A-arms is what is recommended... and some people have used different combinations of those parts to achieve different results... I'd like to know what an optimum setup would be given all the components are possible to swap. I mainly want the caster thing taken care of most of all.

Also I would like to have the car slightly lowered(maybe 1" or so) and handle well enough to feel fit for auto-x. Now I probably won't auto-x the car any time soon, but I love the feeling of a tight car. Viper like if you will. From previous experience with 4th gen F-body Camaros/Firebirds, I learned that progressive springs are NOT the way to go for handling save for special situations. I also just found out that Eibach Pro Kit is pretty much the ONLY choice for our cars and they are progressive.

So that pretty much only leaves coil-overs I suppose. So I've been looking into them and I can only find coil-overs for the front. Where do you get them for the back? I noticed FWD Performance sells the Eibach coil-overs for both the front and the rear... but no coil-over assemblies for the rear? What's up with that?

Or do you think I'm being too analytical about this and Eibach Pro Kit and Koni struts/shocks would do well enough for my needs?

I asked for help from the auto-x guys because I figure they'll know more than anyone since they push their cars to the limit...

Hybrid booster

Re: Question on coil-overs and suspension in general... auto x guys chime in!!!

i ithnk you have to do your own modding to do coil over springs because of the nature of the separate shock and spring setup. i forget the link but someone did it on a daytona or spirit and it looked good. its on my to-do list too lol

turbo addict

Coilovers on the rear would be a total re design and not worth the time. You can have adjustable ride heightin the rear and theres a couple diff ways of doing it.

Heres Mine:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6060

Heres Garret's:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9773

Hybrid booster

Have you put the Eibach/Koni combo to the test? I have, and I think that it is a very good combo if you add a stiff rear swaybar and set it up for a particular track. I took my car to Carolina Motorsports Park last year and I never felt my suspension better, soft in the front and tight in the rear was the way to go on that twisty circuit. When I made the car too stiff in the front, the car would understeer. Once I soften the front and tighten the rear to the max it felt like I was driving a RWD car, it also helped to rotate the vehicle easier.
    I found a spring factory in South America that I've been talking to about making drag, road racing and sports springs to our cars, no agreement yet I need to know if TMers would like to have more choices of springs.

Reinaldo Moloon

Hybrid booster

I was gonna post a link to mine but I was beaten too the punch, if you want to do this and can't locate the aluminium lower spring seats that I used I still have another set... I think. LMK if you have any questions I"ll be happy to help

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm not too sure I'd feel comfortable reaming/welding/disconfiguring the rear of the car... so I guess it looks like the Eibachs w/ Konis are the only viable option for me (IMO).

Anyone else with Eibachs/Konis care to chime in on their thoughts of the setup?

Hybrid booster

there was no welding done on my car just need a hole saw. I beat on my car pretty hard and there has been zero issues so far

turbo addict

I love my 2801 Eibachs and Koni's. With the LCA mods and sway bar mods it rips corners harder than I can push it, i.e. I get scared before it starts to slide.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

imo there is no point in doing coilovers in the rear. getting rid of the stock shock location would give you more wheel clearance but that doesnt matter until you get past 8.0" wide.

for the front, i would swap to the newer spindles as they are 'taller' and if used with the 89-90 LCAs would give you a little better control arm angle once you lower it. thats extremely important for your 'camber curve'. plus with those spindles you can go grab caliper/bracket off any 5x114.3 minivan and buy some r/t rotors and have r/t brakes in the front.

as for adjustable ride height in the rear, you cna make some adjustable upper spring perches, or do the cheap thing and use coil spreaders on cut springs like i do, lol. adjust to the height you want and enjoy.

make sure to check and possibly cut your bumpstops in the rear if you lower very much, hitting them during a hard turn = instant spin.

turbo addict

s/t are not progressive but the ballers dont like them.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    s/t are not progressive but the ballers dont like them.

Huh?