Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The first TM that got you hooked!

Garrett booster

Re: The first TM that got you hooked!

I'll get pics this weekend since it'll be nice, the van I started with may be coming back my way too. I thought it'd be cool, but I saw so many and I wanted to stand out so I went the h-body route. If nothing else I'll have parts for my TII upgrade...

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Back in '97 when I graduated from HS a friend of mine worked with someone who had a 87 glhs and a 87 csx. He was selling the csx and took me for a ride in it when I showed some interest. After watching him tear off 1st thru 4th and getting out of 4th because of wheelhop I was hooked. I wasn't able to buy the car then due to college, but I'll never forget it. Afterwards I owned 2 Shelby chargers till I bought my integra type r ( I know, I know) in 01. I went td-less till 2007. I started looking for csxs and found one in md that seemed ok even though it had a little cancer in the right rear. Upon looking up the carfax I found that it was registered in the same town as the car I looked at back in 96. So I'm pretty sure that it's the same car, as there couldn't have been many of these in Waterbury back in '97.
    Nothing to be ashamed of with a Integra Type R.Those where freakin awesome cars even though they are a Honda/Acura.Id drive one for a DD.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Nothing to be ashamed of with a Integra Type R.Those where freakin awesome cars even though they are a Honda/Acura.Id drive one for a DD.
    me too. the handling, the scream to 8400 rpms etc. dumbasses putting type R badges on civic DX's gave them a little bit of a bad name but the car is still fun.

Brian

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    me too. the handling, the scream to 8400 rpms etc. dumbasses putting type R badges on civic DX's, accords, corollas, cavaleirs, neons, cobalts, civics, more civics, etc, etc, etc gave them a little bit of a bad name but the car is still fun.

Brian
    Fixed that for ya...

It still amazes me how many cars get port holes on the front fenders now, I mean thats a buick thing, but you name it, fusion, charger, 300, impala, accord, camry, etc, etc all get those. Too each their own, but some styling ques I will never understand

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

hehehe thanks ^^^

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

It still amazes me how many cars get port holes on the front fenders now, I mean thats a buick thing, but you name it, fusion, charger, 300, impala, accord, camry, etc, etc all get those. Too each their own, but some styling ques I will never understand
    I know what you're saying...yesterday I saw a wrx with those stupid things on it
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

boostaholic

well im game...my uncle bought a 90 VNT daytona back in 98, i was a jr in HS...the first romp in it bone stock and i was hooked!!!! i had a 76 chyrsler cordoba at the time (my first car) and when i realized this thing would walk all over my camed air gaped 4 barreln 3800 stall 360... i wanted one!...i searched for 4 years to find the right one...in 2002 after my uncle pu a fresh Opel Engineering 2.2L, MP "heart" head, and a new turbo he offered it to me for 1800 bucks.... sold!!!. now im not sure if he realized the "bitchieness" of the TIV cars were, but it had issues...so i drove it for 500 miles... and that bought the time i found Gus's site...and learned about the VNTs....well i decided to tear her down... and do the TII swap w/a 46 trim...after 7 years of building this car the way I wanted it to be, i was wraping it up...(i have a thread in projects section of it) i sent out my computer to Cindy for a fresh tune....while i waited a substantual amount of time to get it back, some DIP S*&# burned my house down, Murdering my beautiful TIV Blue Daytona....(and my beautiful boy graham...4year old Boxer)
    i owned the car for 7 years, and only drove it 500 miles!!! RIP

i found my "new" one 2 months after the fire, for a grand, 91 2.5 TI, took the head turbo and every goodie i could salvage. and put it on the white one(i call the white one angel)... ill tell ya i put more miles last season on the white car at the track than i did total w/ the Blue one..haha...and to this day my addiction to the T-M grows!!!!!

oh and i have to say thanks to my fellow SDAC-CL member for showing me there support and "the way "of the turbo dodge!!!....thanx guys, and girl(s) '-)~

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    me too. the handling, the scream to 8400 rpms etc. dumbasses putting type R badges on civic DX's gave them a little bit of a bad name but the car is still fun.
    Lol, that's the reason I put that disclaimer in there, they've gotten a bad name by association. I think those were some of the last cars to actually be imported from Japan by Honda.

If I ever get a chance to get my hands on another unmolested ITR I'd definitely do so. I sold mine to someone who was doing SCCA races down in PA with it and won his division the 1st year after he took the car home.

My 87 Shelby Z that I bought in 99. Still have it today. I never plan on selling it. One day I'll do a complete restoration on it. I need to do the 89CSX first. It's started an addiction ever since.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    My 87 Shelby Z that I bought in 99. Still have it today. I never plan on selling it. One day I'll do a complete restoration on it. I need to do the 89CSX first. It's started an addiction ever since.
    LOVE the paint scheme on that far one...

Hybrid booster

The first TM that got me hooked was a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH-T. I had a Honda Civic that I bought to autocross, and a month or so after I bought it I swerved to avoid someone that ran a stop sign, and when I swerved I hit a tree instead. The car was killed so I looked at a primer gray Dodge Omni. What drew me to it was the ground effects & hood vent. I thought those were nothing special but looked up what was on the ground effects & foudn out how wrong I was. I went to the dealer that the car was at & it was priced at 795.00. I didn't have half that, but the salesman came out & told me "I am tired of looking at the car. You can have it for $350.00". I had $400.00, so I test drove it, liked what I felt & ended up buying it for a total of $395.00. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by 89FerrariShelby View Post
    LOVE the paint scheme on that far one...
    Here's a pic from the other side

Hybrid booster

thank you sir!

Garrett booster

for me, i grew up seeing new glhs runnin around and wanted one but was/am a mustang among other things guy but the v8's came first... then Johnny Spiva (polybushings.com) let me drive his ax glhs! holy crap was that thing bad! i bought a 89 shelby tona not too long after that and stumbled across a 89 csx a couple of years later.... THANKS JOHNNY!!!!!

Garrett booster

I added pics of my two H-bodies to my profile, for some reason I can't get them here? I cleaned up my messes and kept the two good ones, sold the 3rd to a buddy. I also have a 2.5 T1 from an 89 van for future stuff and a spare 2.2. Too darn many projects between these, my 73 IH and my demo derby fleet...

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Here's a pic from the other side
    IIRC you just had it done before you brought it to an SDAC or is that someone else I am thinking of?
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

i remember seeing it at sdac 17 iirc

Mitsu booster

Mine is the one that gave me my username haha. Drooled over that car every time I saw it without the cover on it and when it came up for sale last summer I had to buy it. 86 Lebaron GTS 4 door with 64K kms on it. Blew the head gasket a week or so after I bought it and had to leave for college, so it is waiting another month until I get home.

Garrett booster

Mine was an 87 Shelby Z I bought from the Junk yard for $200. It had T-tops, and every other option, and no rust either. I replaced the cracked block and the brake lines. Drove it for 3 1/2 years, and put on over 80k befor getting rid of it. Went 3 1/2 years TD less before I found my Spirit R/T while looking for a CSX. I don't regret getting rid of the daytona, it was time to part ways. I would regret getting rid of the R/T though (unless it was for a CSX )

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

mine is a 92 3.0 daytona , 3.0 auto , was a blast to drive and drive the s*** out of it and sold it more than i paid for and bought my 86 sc with the money but the was almost junk all the way .It was a racer and almost everything was modified (not always the good way) no more fuse link all directly to the positive pole ...hole in the trans,water in the trans , half shaft axle hold with one bolt (guess what happen!) missing a lot of bolts ... missing a lot of things
    so i decided to fix it ... new floors ,body job,new harness,new engine,fixed trans , almost put it all stock before modified it and it worked so far then i bought my 87 tona shelby z , got all the parts and needed new floors and a motor and the body is solid ! sorry for my english guys

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast