Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The first TM that got you hooked!

turbo addict

Re: The first TM that got you hooked!

86 lazer xt with every option you could get t-tops, power everything, leather, ect.... sold the car 5 years ago with 45,000 miles on it no idea where it is now
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I bought a 86 GLH in 2005 and the rest is history

Hybrid booster

In the summer of 1987 I was 9 years old, my mom bought 1987 GLHS #0041 new at hunter dodge in lancaster, ca. I fell in love with that car instantly. I loved the sound of the turbo as it spooled up, and the feeling in your back as it pulled hard accelerating. I have alot of good memories as a kid going to the beach in that car, cruising around, etc. I never got to drive it however, my mom sold it shortly before I was old enough to drive. Partly because it had some stalling problems (most likely easy fixes now that I know more about them) but back in the mid 90's didn't have any idea about it. She got fed up and sold it.

Tracked it down, from some SOCAL SDAC members help years ago, had been junked. Made me so sad.

But I always loved the Daytona even more. I watched DeeDee MCCall and Hunter cruise around in the 85 turbo z, and later the red shelby z. As well as sitting in a few new ones in the showroom back in the 80's.

So once I was working, I started looking. My first tm is a 1988 Shelby Z, I got from the original owner, who knew what it was, and had stored it in his garage for about 5 years. That was around 2001. Since have aquired 2 more 88 Shelby Z's, both with t-tops, and an 85 turbo z. Even had a 89 Caravan ES for a while, but was offered good $ for it and sold it.

Garrett booster

Mine was an 84 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo. I got the car my Senior year in high school in 1994 with 56k miles on it. I put about 100k miles on it sold it back in 2006, and i'm getting it back!!!! It's been down hill for me from there LOL.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

I was born a Mopar guy, but like the '60 stuff. I had a 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 2 door HT 318 car for summer cruising, but gas prices and reliability issues with my DD (1980 Ramcharger 4x4) meant I needed to find a replacement for it.

I had always like the styling of the Shelby Chargers. so started looking for one. I found a black and silver 1987 at a used car lot, so traded in the Ramcharger and made the deal. The SC wasn't any more relialbe then the Ramcharger, but it was better on gas and fun to drive. While surfing the 'net trouble shooting problems with the SC, I learned more about TD's and was hooked.

turbo addict

Here is a pic of my Shelby Charger I had back in 96'. It was virtually rust free at the time. I don't even want to go into why I don't have it anymore but it met a premature death and not by my hand.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Here is a pic of my Shelby Charger I had back in 96'. It was virtually rust free at the time. I don't even want to go into why I don't have it anymore but it met a premature death and not by my hand.

Tell the story!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Love that hood! Did you do that yourself?
    It's a scoop off a Charger or Rampage 2.2. I have one that I sported on my GLHS and GLHT for a few years.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster

first one that got me would have been my 92 es shadow 2.5 T1 i paid 1,000 for it

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

hmmm the first one that got me hooked was a 85 GLH that i was trying to buy back in 1998. the guy wanted more than i wanted to spend so i kept looking. later in college frank and i were hanging out and we decided to put a 3.0L and a 543 in his shadow. i was driving a SHO at the time. through researching stuff i came across gary and gus's site and it was all over then. i had to get a TD.

i bought a beater aries and sold my SHO and then bought my reliant for 525$ off of my parents neighbor who was going into a nursing home. my mom says i ruined the car with all that noise and nausea inducing acceleration but i think its perfect!

my only other TM is my 87 pacifica that im fixing up. ive had a few others but they were all parts cars and sacrifices to build something else.

funny thing was that i thought the 2.2 sucked in high school. everyone i knew that had one had some sort of problem with it and all the turbo cars that i came across had some issues too.

little did i know that they needed was some TLC.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

1984 Turbo Colt, it was my first and only new car purchase, I went in to buy the NA Shelby Charger and the salesman said I should take it out for a spin first. I was sold in 2 blocks, paid $7,100 for it and drove it for 147k trouble free miles until the trans locked up, then sold it cheap. I kept the rear window sticker "Don't Step on the Gas Unless You Really Mean It!" I replaced the car with a used '85 GLH-T. When I was out car shopping for one, I went for a test drive with a guy that had installed a super 60 kit in it, damn that car was fast, I didn't buy it because I thought it was too much. The guy that was selling the car was Mike DeMoss of Forward Motion years before he started his business, I guess he was hooked on them too.

Hybrid booster

In response to blk86trbo and 86Shelby, I acquired the scoop off an older Charger 2.2 and then notched the rear of it, cut a hole in the hood and painted it to match the hood. I then bought a taller K&N filter for the carb and have a functional cowl induction hood.

I'll post some pictures of the engine bay a little later.

Regards, TheCanadian

weeee for bringing up old threads!

My dad bought me a 78 SE Charger with no motor or drive train. I remember being 15 and going out everyday to rub baby oil on the cloth top. We ended up getting rid of it because my dad didn't have the time to drop a motor into it.
    My dad knew where a slant six duster was sitting out near Goehner, NE. We drove out there to look at it and get it, but they had a 89 Daytona ES TBI auto car. I refused to get the duster because I wanted a red sports car, went against my dads wishes, and we bought the Daytona. A lot of things didn't work on it, but I loved the car. I thought it was fast (haha, first cars!) and I drove it for three months before it blew out the front seal on the tranny. I put two fuel pumps, new fuel tank, and new fuel rails and lines because it was all rusted to crap and the fuel pump was junk. I sold it for 50 more than I bought it, and went off to buy a 89 Ford Probe.
    Now, while we were at the shop where we bought the daytona we went inside to sign the title and what not. Sitting in the corner behind old school muscle cars was an 85 Shelby Charger. I inquired about it, but he refused to sell it saying it was worth too much money and I would kill myself in it. I called the guy over and over trying to get him to sell it but he still refused, so I bought the probe.
    Two months into the daytona guy called me and said that he would sell the Charger for 700 but as is no warrenty. I didn't care, I wanted that car! I sold the probe the next day for 200 more than I bought it for, and was without a car for three days. Drove out to his shop and he had the Charger sitting outside covered in dust, best site I've ever seen. I gave the guy the cash and followed my dad home. I buried the speedo so many times on the way there, and was hooked ever since!
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

My dads 87 GLHS he has owned since 88
    Before he restored any of the muscle cars he would take the GLHS to all the shows.
    Shes a 44k cream puff and currently resides in the garage maybe coming out once or twice a year.
    The lebaron next to it is mine

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Saw a Silver/Blue Stripe Shelby Charger when I was about 16, dunno if it a turbo or not, all I knew was that one day I would have one And lo and behold, now I own that best one, a GLHS. Too bad I wrecked it Hopefully I'll have it fixed in a year or so.

Of course, I've picked up a few others along the way lol, along with several trucks which I was into even before then.

I remember when I was around 13 or so, I saw an 88 CSX-T at Walmart. I thought it was the stangest looking Shadow I'd ever seen. It wasn't untill years later that I realized what it was. Then I ended up finding the car years later in the same town. I believe the same owner still has the car, but it's in pretty sad shape now.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

Big TM guy i knew from working on my 3.0 Spirit and Old 2.2 Minivan had bought my 89 Shelby at Auction from an Estate. He was getting ready to part it out. My stepfather flew back to our house, told me and we went for a test drive. No radiator in the car my stepfather flew through the gears up and down the guys street.

I took out a student loan and gave the guy $1550 the next day (1500 for the car 50 for a radiator).

I haven't had much time to build a collection, but i did just by a 87 Lebaron Vert w/ 66k miles on it. 2.5 (i think) Turbo. Let the modding begin!!

This is a pic before i decided it would be smart to sink 30k+ into a 5k car......

Is it worth it?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Is it worth it?
    Who me?

Lets see, i'm over 30k in and I have a car that doesn't run right, and if i want it to run right it wont start. It gets just about 0 respect outside of the TM/TD circles....and it leaks from someplace that's not the t-tops.....

I don't know how to explain it, but i love the damn thing. It's caused me nothing but headaches and grief, but when it is running (albeit not that well) and i'm cruising down the highway with the top off, or blowing the doors off a fox-body mustang some kid slapped an exhaust on....all the other ---- disappears from my mind.

Then i try to cold start it and sit in my driveway for 40 minutes while i wait for the idle to even out...

Garrett booster

I don't mean to emphasize your agony over the 30k spent, but could you give us an idea of where the 30k went? As you painfully know, that's a lot of money!!! lol.!! Any current pictures? Thanks.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast