Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The first TM that got you hooked!

Hybrid booster

Re: The first TM that got you hooked!

Back in the early 90's a guy I worked with bought a 85 Daytona turbo. I really liked it. So when my Doba blew up a year later I went and bought my 84 TurboZ. I loved that car. That was 92 and I've had at least one Daytona ever since.

turbo addict

Well, there's a bit of a dumb story with mine but it's funny to me.

Mine wasn't a TD. Mine was my Dad's 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport. 3.8L V6, Short Wheelbase Torque Monster for a Van. After eating up a few mustangs in it I always wanted a fast minivan because it was awesome.

One day, I was browsing supercars.net, and I came across a Dodge Spirit R/T as a supercar. I was intrigued, and had to check it out. I was a bit intrigued, and read a few posts people made, and someone posted a link to Dempsey Bowling's site, www.turbominivan.com.

I read the site, couldn't believe there were turbo minivans made ever. I watched some videos, and it was Paul Smith's wood panel van that left me in awe, and knew I had to get one. I started looking for them, but all the turbo vans had been sold.

One thing that caught my eye was a 1990 Chrysler Lebaron. My friend had an 87 2.5 N/A Auto Coupe Lebaron, and it was sorta nice, and we had always joked about having a fast lebaron. I went and checked out this car on a whim, and when I drove it, it was just amazing. Nicest shifting, fastest accelerating, and flashiest car I'd ever driven, and it was a convertible!

I took out my first ever loan, and bought the car a week later. This was my first ever car, and still my baby. I've always wanted a fast minivan, however, and right now I happen to have one in the works. I have a feeling this Van is going to be the car that keeps me into Turbo Mopars.

Here are a couple of pictures of the LeBaron that won my heart, and the van that is going to win me a few timeslips at the drag strip this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004 (Large).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	3488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0042 (Large).JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	3489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240395 (Large).JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	3490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27-02-07_1755.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	3491  

turbo addict

Mine was a co-workers 85 or 86 ( I forgot) blue GLH omni. That car had a MP LM and unknown boost (no gague). It hauled --- and made me get my first car. My current shadow.

The omni met a drunk driver at an intersection and was damaged beyond repair.

EDIT: Jason, nice 'cooler!

Hybrid booster

This is the car that did it for me. 1984 Dodge 600ES turbo sedan.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by gvare001 View Post
    This is the car that did it for me. 1984 Dodge 600ES turbo sedan.
    Thats COOL! What's up with the scoop? Did it have the over the top DC intercooler kit?

Hybrid booster

Yes it did. I sold the kit but I kept the scoop. It's from a 79-81 mustang.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by gvare001 View Post
    Yes it did. I sold the kit but I kept the scoop. It's from a 79-81 mustang.
    Haha, that is so awesome! How did it run?

turbo addict

My first fwd mopar was a 91 shadow 2.2 n/a. fixed it up and painted it. too nice to drive then so i bought a beater. an 89 plymouth sundance r/s with a "blow engine" which turned out to be a rocker arm that fell off. i drove the car for a while pulled the engine and went through it. After that, cracnked up the boost, added an I/C, computer, cam, trans rebuilt, suspen., and a few other things i cant get enough of them now!

Garrett booster

I was at a towing yard auction a few years back, and stuck in the back right corner was a black charger. Now I am a big fan of sleeper cars, and remembered a dodge charger "GLHS" that was supposidly something special. I thought to my self, no way that is a GLHS. I walked over to it, saw SHELBY on the side and the turbo buldge hood. Peeked around back, "GLHS"!! I really did not need another car at the time, but I just could not let this one go to the Junk yard (where most of the cars from this auciton end up). So I bid and won it for 125 bux. It needed a complete top end rebuild. We rebuilt it and it fired right up. After a bit of tweaking, she was good to go. Unfortunatly the car needed too much more interior/exterior work that I didn't want to do, so I sold it about 6 months later. But that got me hooked, now I can't seem to quit messing with my Spirit R/T!

Pics from when I picked it up:

After we cleaned it up:

turbo addict

Damn nice car forcefedmopar! Damn I'm getting the itch really really bad for summer. Just got another half foot of snow Car doesn't stay clean, so much slippage, cold starts and all that junk. Can't wait until its dry out, then the dodges play.

turbo addict

Dr. Evil, I am definitely jealous!! That is a once in a lifetime find! haha

turbo addict

thanks, i forgot to add that i bought it for $100

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    I was at a towing yard auction a few years back, and stuck in the back right corner was a black charger. Now I am a big fan of sleeper cars, and remembered a dodge charger "GLHS" that was supposidly something special. I thought to my self, no way that is a GLHS. I walked over to it, saw SHELBY on the side and the turbo buldge hood. Peeked around back, "GLHS"!! I really did not need another car at the time, but I just could not let this one go to the Junk yard (where most of the cars from this auciton end up). So I bid and won it for 125 bux. It needed a complete top end rebuild. We rebuilt it and it fired right up. After a bit of tweaking, she was good to go. Unfortunatly the car needed too much more interior/exterior work that I didn't want to do, so I sold it about 6 months later. But that got me hooked, now I can't seem to quit messing with my Spirit R/T!

Pics from when I picked it up:

After we cleaned it up:

Good story and good deal! I envy you guys that find these
    in the yards.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    thanks, i forgot to add that i bought it for $100
    See, now that's just wrong...!
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

My buddy's mom's Daytona. Back around '91 he let me drive it in the rain and I slid it into a curb hard. I was about 16 I guess. He got in some serious trouble for that one.

But what really hooked me was the minivans. I had to have one.

-Wade

Garrett booster

Well mine prob had to have been a NA '88 Daytona that was for sale in my town. I then started doing research about them then discovered TD's. I then started looking for TD's. Mind you I am only still 16 but I found a red 89 Shelby in PA but the guy didn't want to sell if after I had been interested. So that fell through. I then bough a '95 Probe GT that I fixed up(not riced out). I then rear ended a guy and drove the car for 2 months then the diff. went out in the and scrapped the car. I then searched about again to find a TD which is when I found my car a '88 Shelby Z when I fixed up and am still fixing up and getting running right. I like the car and i also hate the car because everything breaks on it. Yeah it is easy to fix but I don't car how easy it is to fix something i would rather have 1 hard fix then for a ton of small fixes.

Garrett booster

well my name is jeremy and i am now a boostaholic (but for good reason)

To tell you the truth the first boosted mopar in 2000 it is a 85 shelby and i still have shelly today
    when i first seen it a friend had bought it and he was driving it with a bad clutch but for some reason somtimes it whould still grab in first and chirp the tires and that got me interested then i heard my first real turbo (i grew up with a dad that had a long list of the best of late 60's and early 70's muscle cars and lived by the adage that you cant replace displacement........ later i found that it was a thing of the past)
    then he landed himself in jail and i bailed him out for the car he knew i wanted soo bad after a while of driving on a bad clutch i got it replaced and it scared the hell out of me,..... ive been hooked ever sence

now im about SEVEN GRAND into doing a race build up and cant wait to get it on the road again. ive owned about 23 cars in my small tenure on this planet and i know for shure that this one will never leave my side (and yes i will be buried with it if i cannot give it to my son.) and you all here and dempsy and gus and all are deep in my heart for being part of this discovery and recovery of my car, thank you

turbo addict

I had read what the GLH was. And then found an '86 GLHS near my home. What really hooked me was the test drive. The owner told me to lay into through first and shift into 2nd as quick as I can. A good length of rubber on the road and a power shift later I was hooked. I got a solid 80k miles of service out of that car in the 4 years I drove it daily. Damn good car.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

mine started out as my moms 85 lebaron GTS highline it had every option you could get. but my mom is one of those people who drives 10 under the limit everywhere so i had no idea it was a fast car, one day my brother borrowed it and took me for a drive i was about 11 at the time and holy hell he scared the crap outa me. the car failed emissions so my mom parked it and bought a new car. when i was 15 and taking mechanics in school we were allowed to bring in our own cars and rebuild the engines. so i asked my mom and she gave it to me (she was more than happy to get that thing out of her driveway). I rebuilt the engine and i still remembered that it was a fast car so i started doing some research on TDs and came across Gus's site. it was an 85 2.2 t1 with the log intake so i couldn't intercool it so instead i used alcohol injection and boosted it to 23 psi. that car was nutty fast. i drove that car for years until the one day i decided it would be fun to turn up the boost a little more and shattered my piston rings that was the end of that car but the memories me and my friends had in that car will live forever. now i have my hybrid omni project muhahaha
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

turbo addict

cruising the main strip one saturday night in 02' in my 85 IROC-Z camaro i was with a buddy and heard a race coming from the other direction. a black omni glh something. don't know if it was a glhs or what but it was beating the hell out of an ls1 camaro!!!! i didn't know at the time what the hell it was.. well a few years pass (06') and i still have the camaro and getting my --- handed to me... i had a ---- load of mods in the thing and couldn't break into the 14's!!!! so my friend acquired an 85 shelby charger. i kinda laughed when i seen it because some wacko painted it green and purple so we called it the joker. well i drove it down the road and said to my self ----!!!! so that brought me back to the little black car back in 02' that i saw. so i began my search. nothing. so one day at work i was standing outside the door and saw a white spirit drive up and you can hear the turbo spoolin!!! i was like no way!!!! is that thing turbo??? hell yea it is!!!! so he told me about a buddy with a turbo van (coy) and he knew of an 86 glhs omni sitting in a salvage!!!!! sweet!!!!! i sold the iroc. so i have never seen this car nor did i know the condition of the car before buying it and i sold my only car for it lol. well there she was. no front end!!!! drug it home and now building it to be terrorizing the streets again!!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast