Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The first TM that got you hooked!

Hybrid booster

Re: The first TM that got you hooked!

Well, I can't remember exactly the first one since I basically grew up in a Dodge dealership in the early 80s. But I am pretty sure the first one was a 1 page brochure that my dad brought home for a red/silver Daytona Turbo Z in 1984. Then while standing at my bustop for 6th grade or something, my dad flies by in a 84 Silver/Black Daytona Turbo. That is the car that I am forever searching for on this planet - if I ever find it I will buy it.

After that, I seem to have a 85 Silver 600 ES Vert with pizza rims that was on the showroom floor stuck in my memory. I loved those hood louvres. Then I became obsessed with Shelby Chargers.

Then there was the 1991 Stealth R/T TT that made all TM's obsolete in my mind at the time. I want that car too.

I learned to drive stick on a 84 Mink Brown / Black Daytona Turbo that my dad loaned me in 1988. But the first TM that I bought was a 84 Chrysler Laser XE, manual. In hindsight, I regret selling that car, it was in such great condition. It just didn't occur to me at the time. Sold it for $1200 in 1994. Still have pics though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	21499  

Hybrid booster

My first Turbo Mopar was an 89 Daytona Shelby. I remember the day I found it clear as day.
    I was 16 and working at Menards and one Sunday while eating lunch in the break room and reading the paper I saw a classified for a Dodge Dayton Shelby and decided to give the guy a call.
    My friend and I went and looked at it after work and I was hooked and had to have that car. I convinced my parents that it was a safer car than the 73 Plymouth I was driving, since it had an airbag and 4 wheel disk.
    I did not even know how to drive a 5 speed at the time so I did not get to drive the car untill after I bought it and came home. I learned how to drive the 5 speed in a couple hours and never looked back.
    I still have this car and it is still in good shape, it needs a re-spray and I am currently puting a new short block together for it.
    My only regret is that I sold my 73 Plymouth Scamp to buy it and man do I hate selling cars.
    I cry every time I have to sell a Mopar. That is why I will never sell this one.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Mitsu booster

1991 Dodge Spirit RT one owner that I just got , that's what hooked me https://youtu.be/01PDELFH9_U

- - - Updated - - -

1991 Dodge Spirit RT one owner that I just got , that's what hooked me https://youtu.be/01PDELFH9_U

1985 Shelby Charger, got it in high school. Still have it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

Moved here in 1990. Always wanted a GLHS. Ended up with a blue 89 daytona 2.5L T1. Added a mopar computer and three transmissions. Loved that car. Now I have a glhs but it's in pieces. Standard.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

a gold GLH that i saw in 1998 when i was working on a roofing job in the summer between college semesters.

then i forgot about it for a while and had a nissan sentra, vw golf, 88 fiero, 91 SHO......

and then i saw it.... a 40k mile 88 plymouth reliant sitting in a garage of a little old lady about to go into a nursing home.....

525$ and it was mine. then, as my mom puts it, i "ruined" the car.

yes it was smooth. yes it was super comfortable and didnt vibrate at all at idle. yes it was ball a$$ slow.....

not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

1987 Dodge Shelby Charger. I bought it because I thought it would make a cool daily driver, it got me hooked. It also introduced me to the Shelby Dodge Mailing List, where I learned about the existence of GLHSs. I had never heard of them before (not sold in Canada), and I decided then that I would own one someday.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

The one that got me hooked? Brand new 1984 Dodge Rampage, Red on red.... It was owned by the son of my Boy Scout troop leader... Got to ride in it to IMS for opening day 1984. I don't think it had 4K miles on it when I got the ride... It was love at first sight. There wasn't a happier kid in the whole world that day. I was hooked for life...

Fast forward to 1989, and I found my Scamp on the used lot at a GM dealership. I've owned it ever since...

Hybrid booster

My first car ever was a 1983.5 Shelby Charger, purchased in 1986. Had a burned valve when I bought it but had it fixed the first week I owned it.
    I owned that car for 9 months and sold it to purchase my 1987 Shelby charger which I still own today and is the one in my av and sig.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    My first car ever was a 1983.5 Shelby Charger, purchased in 1986.
    Same except purchased in 1991. Paid $400, it had a problem shutting off which was traced to a 3m scotch-lock on a fusible link! Drove it for several months before flipping it to my room mate after picking up a 1985 Shelby Charger and a 1985 GLH turbo. The silver '86 Daytona which ran low 13's wasn't far behind.

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

I subscribed to Car and Driver back in the day and when the September 1983 issue showed up at my door. I knew as soon as I saw the cover shot the Turbo Z was going to be my next car.

In August of 1986 I purchased my Z, 30 years later I still have it.

Garrett booster

I still have that issue! And I bought my Daytona Turbo in Sept. of 83. Still have it, but it is a project for sometime down the road. Hopefully!

The first for me was an 84 GLH (n/a). I know not turbo, but I liked the way it handled. Moved on to various TM's after that and still have one 20 years later (and a shed full of spare parts). The first fun fwd car for me was an 81 Chev X11. That is what introduced me to the fact that small and fwd could still be fun This was after a few years with big block Oldsmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post
    I subscribed to Car and Driver back in the day and when the September 1983 issue showed up at my door. I knew as soon as I saw the cover shot the Turbo Z was going to be my next car.

In August of 1986 I purchased my Z, 30 years later I still have it.

That car is beautiful and still in great shape being a single owner!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

Thanks Jon. As far back as I can remember I have been drawn to the original survivor cars. As the saying goes it's only original once and mine is original because of one person, my wife. Realizing my desire to some day own a low mileage survivor car she agreed to allow me to garage the Z from the beginning, with one stipulation. I could never sell it, best deal I ever made.

Hybrid booster

1985 Daytona Turbo with driver enthusiasts seats. Put a smile on my face to have a turbocharged 4cyl that could move. Became giddy after installing the Spearco intercooler kit, followed by the Direct Connection intercooled LM

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I worked in a Dodge dealership from 1975 to 1984 as a mechanic. I enjoyed road testing those Turbo Daytona's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post

That is the same issue that got me hooked on TDs. I was 14 when that article first came out. I knew I had to have one. Saved all my money from a paper route and working at a local gas station. Fast forward to Sept '86 and found a fully loaded dealer demo 86 Turbo Z CS with every option known to man (digital dash, trip computer, leather, etc). Yes I was crazy buying a new car at 17 but the deal was so sweat, only $10K for a car that stickered like $16K. I did some mods to it (direct connection computer, etc) and it was running just as strong as my cousin's 87 Daytona Shelby T2. So I decided to wait till the T3 DOHC motor that they had been talking about for years finally come out. But then I heard about the T4 VNT and how limited they were, I think each Dodge dealer was allocated only 1. Well as soon as my Dodge dealer got one, I kept going to the dealership to see if I could get a decent deal on it. After about 5 months and still no takers, the dealer was actually ready to deal. I got a 90 Daytona Shelby VNT for $13K (after the $2 rebate) and it stickered for $16.2K. And the best part about it was being able to roast every stock Mustang GT and Iroc Z-28 and still get over 22MPG. I miss that car, had to sell it in 2000 because I had 2 kids, very hard to fit 2 car seats in the rear and had nowhere to store it. I knew I was doing the wrong thing when I sold it but it was for the right reason. Still kicking myself for selling it. BTW, I never had an ounce of trouble with the VNT, that BS about killing the VNT because of problems was bull. My cousin who happened to work at the Dodge dealer that I bought my car from told me that due to Chrysler's financial problems, they were killing it off and sticking the T1 with the Mitsushity TE04 turbo in it and still calling it the Shelby. Then Shelbys licensing contract expired and they renamed it the Iroc in mid 91.

Bought a new 1986 GLH Turbo in ,,1986. I drove it for 12 years before it rusted out. It is the last new car I ever bought. Found a 1986 GLHS in the 1990's that was really abused. The head was in the back seat with all these court papers of crimes and court dates... but no rust and rebuilt it.

turbo addict

My first car was a 1988 Daytona; 2.5 non-turbo auto car. got it in 1997 wrecked with a blown engine and sold in 2002 in real nice shape. I could never figure out why it would be so hard to start when it was cold out.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789