Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Turbo 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX project.

boostaholic

My Turbo 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX project.

So I've been lurking here every now and then, gathering little bits of info to help on my project here and there. I thought it's time I register and share what I'm doing. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this with a vehicle.

Car: 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX (Sedan)
    Engine: 2.4L I4 (naturally aspirated from the factory)
    Transmssion: 41TE 4 speed automatic.

I'm using a mix of parts from a PT Cruiser turbo kit (from before they came with the turbo from the factory), and SRT-4 parts. The turbo is a Mitsubishi 20G from Hahn Racecraft, and I'm using their manifold and O2 housing as well.

On the intake side, I have an SRT-4 intake manifold, modified by Darrel Cox Racing to fit with my automatic transmission, a Boomba insulating intake manifold gasket, and a Modern Performance 62mm throttle body. The intercooler is Hahn's 24x6x4.5 universal intercooler.

Fuel - Boomba SRT-4 fuel rail, and SRT-4 Stage 1 fuel injectors. There will also be a return line with an upgraded fuel pump and fuel regulator from Hahn Racecraft.

Ignition - MSD DIS-2, MSD 8.5mm super conductor spark plug wires, NGK Iradium spark plugs.

Transmission - The transmission is going to be on it's way to A&A Motorsports to be built soon. When it's done, it should be enough to hold a lot of power. ;-)

I also have a Greddy eManage, Profec E-01, and Type RS BOV going into this.

The car is in the shop getting everything done now. I just dropped it off today. Should have it back in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for 300 to 340 whp out of this initially (that's all the fuel system will take according to my calculations). Eventually I'd like to hit 400 whp out of this, or as close to that as possible. I plan on drag racing when the track opens up in late April here.

I think this project is pretty unique. A lot of people tend to take the engine out of this car, or it's Stratus cousin, throw it into a Neon or other older Mopar's, and then turbo it. I've seen a couple 1st Generation Stratus Sedans that have turbos on them, but I've never seen a 2nd Generation Stratus/Sebring Sedan with a turbo on it (not counting the ones in Mexico that come with one). As far as I know, I'll be the first 2nd Gen Sebring to do this. I bought this car brand new in July of '03. I didn't buy it with the intention of doing something like this. It was probably about 6 to 8 months after I bought it that I started thinking about it. I've been researching this for about 3 years, and now it's finally going to happen. The car has been sitting in my garage since October. I did a few minor things myself, and then got too busy to finish it myself, plus had some issues with some of the parts I ordered arriving broken. Just a couple more weeks, and I should be able to drive it again, I can't wait!

turbo addict

Re: My Turbo 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX project.

First of all, welcome to the board!
    Secondly, sounds like one wicked cool project you have going on. Keep us updated!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 85shelbycharger View Post
    First of all, welcome to the board!
    Secondly, sounds like one wicked cool project you have going on. Keep us updated!
    Thanks! Forgot to mention... the engine is being rebuilt using SRT-4 internals (pistons, rods, rings, etc). Those were cheaper than getting Eagle Rods, and JE or Wiseco pistons. They should be able to handle what I'm going to throw at them though. Definately wasn't going to try and throw much at the stock internals.

boostaholic

UPDATE:

I had my new internals balanced, just got those back yesterday. I also picked up a windage tray with crank scraper and baffle from Darrel Cox Racing. I ordered a 3" catless down pipe with electronically controlled cut-out from Needswings, it has arrived as well. The engine should start getting put back together today, and hopefully be done by the end of the week. My transmission should be about half way done by now, hoping it have it back by next week.

I've got to send my axles off (again) to get cryo treated, after I get the boots taken off. I didn't think about it, and the company cryo treating them for me didn't tell me before I sent them in, that they can't have any rubber on them when they go through the cryo treating process. I was hoping to have this whole thing done by the end of this month, but it's looking like it will be more around the 1st week of April now.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Where's that 'this thread is worthless w/o pics' emoticon?

Welcome to the board!
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

and sounds like it's going to be a fun car when finished.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Where's that 'this thread is worthless w/o pics' emoticon?

Welcome to the board!

Welcome! Definately post up some pics of your progress.

boostaholic

62mm throttle body:

TB comparison:

Boomba Fuel Rail:

Turbo and manifold:

O2 housing:

New 24x4.5x6" intercooler next to an SRT-4 intercooler:

Here's a couple shots of the modified SRT-4 intake manifold, 62mm throttle body, boomba fuel rail, and powder coated SRT-4 valve cover (kinda dusty in these pics) on the car.

Those were taken when I was trying to get it put back together enough to drive down the street and drop it off at the shop for the turbo install.

Here's the car with the engine and transmissoin out of it:

Here's the engine on a stand upside down:

boostaholic

A view of the crank:

The old pistons and other misc parts on the work bench:

The head, camshafts, and other stuff on the work bench:

I need to remember to take my camera with me next time I go over to the shop to check on progress. I didn't get any pics of the new stuff that came in, just took it straight over to the shop. That's all for now.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Welcome!, Looks good so far, shiny new parts are always cool!

The second gen cloud cars really drive nicely, they just needed more hp, which it looks like you'll have. That car should be one heck of a sleeper once it's done.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Welcome!, Looks good so far, shiny new parts are always cool!

The second gen cloud cars really drive nicely, they just needed more hp, which it looks like you'll have. That car should be one heck of a sleeper once it's done.
    Thanks! Yeah I love this car and how it drives, I can't wait until it's done. Shooting for around 400 whp. I plan on improving the way it drives by adding front and rear sway bars and strut braces eventually. I had a first gen cloud car ('96 Stratus), loved that car too, traded it in for this car when I got it brand new back in July of '03.

boostaholic

Well the car is a little behind the schedule I was hoping for... Transmission is supposed to be done and shipped back to me by Wednesday. Here's a couple pics of my 41TE automatic transmission being beefed up (and made pretty).

turbo addict

nice and like I said on srt forums, stick w/ teh 650cc injectors and you'll be good

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I like the idea. Looks like you're moving along. Where/how did you do your transmission like that?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I like the idea. Looks like you're moving along. Where/how did you do your transmission like that?
    AJ of A&A Motorsports in NY is building my transmission so it can handle 425+ whp. There is a powder coating company near him called Action Powder Coating, he took it to them to powder coat the case for me.

SpeedEuphoria, I actually just ordered the Deatschwerks 750's. They were only $40 more than the 650's, so I thought I might as well go with them. I figure the 750's will give me room for more power if I ever decide I want it.

turbo addict

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my wife's '04 Stratus. I have some questions if you don't mind.

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of electronics are you using? Is the Greddy eManage a piggyback? If I were to run an SRT-4 or PT ecu, would it plug right in to my existing harness or do I have to swap that out? If so, would the SRT-4/PT underhood harness plug into the Stratus body harness? Are there any websites showing this conversion?
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    SpeedEuphoria, I actually just ordered the Deatschwerks 750's. They were only $40 more than the 650's, so I thought I might as well go with them. I figure the 750's will give me room for more power if I ever decide I want it.
    well the only reason I was suggesting the 650's is because it is enough to get you what you said you wanted and also w/ only a piggy back sometimes its hard to pull fuel and get the idle/drivability right

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my wife's '04 Stratus. I have some questions if you don't mind.

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of electronics are you using? Is the Greddy eManage a piggyback? If I were to run an SRT-4 or PT ecu, would it plug right in to my existing harness or do I have to swap that out? If so, would the SRT-4/PT underhood harness plug into the Stratus body harness? Are there any websites showing this conversion?
    Yes the eManage is a piggyback, and that's what I am using, along with a "fuel mapper" from Hahn Racecraft. No you can't use an SRT-4 ECU, because the Stratus/Sebring has an automatic transmission, and the transmission control is part of the ECU. If you look at an SRT-4 ECU and a Stratus ECU, the SRT-4 ECU has one less port on it. As far as using the PT ECU goes, I don't know. There was a guy with a Sebring Convertible working on a project similar to mine, and he was going to try and use a PT ECU. He had the wiring diagrams and was comparing them. I think he was thinking it wouldn't work. Also you can't get a brand new PT ECU without a PT VIN # from what we determined. I guess maybe you could find one in a junk yard or on eBay, but it's still very questionable. I decided to use what Hahn could give me, along with the eManage, would be the best way to go.

There are no websites showing this conversion. As far as I know, I am the first one to do this on a 2G Stratus/Sebring Sedan, AND document it. I know of at least one person that tried in the past, failed, and gave up on it. There were rumors of someone else doing it, but never any documented proof. I have been fully documenting my build here: http://www.2gss.org/index.php?showtopic=11954 There's about 15 pages to read through there right now, lol. I will be selling "turbo kits" for the 2G Stratus/Sebring Sedans once mine is done and fully tested. I have 3 years of research and over $10,000 invested into this. If you want exactly what I have for your wife's Stratus, expect to spend close to that much (less if you do most of the work yourself, I've spent quite a bit in labor to have a local shop install stuff for me). I will be offering several kits for different power levels/budgets. The least expensive one is still probably going to cost just under $4000 in parts. I'm hoping to have everything fully tested and ready to sell by July. By fully tested, I mean, several dyno runs, several runs down the track, and at least a months worth of daily driving.

turbo addict

That looks pretty nice! Well thought out. I'll see if I can get some pics to send you of the Sebring convertible with an alky-injected turbo V6 in it.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    That looks pretty nice! Well thought out. I'll see if I can get some pics to send you of the Sebring convertible with an alky-injected turbo V6 in it.
    Thanks! If it's a 2G Sebring Convertible with the Chrysler 2.7L V6 in it, I know a LOT of guys that would be very interested in that! If it's a 1G that used the Mitsubishi 2.5L V6, well I think quite a few people have done turbos on that engine over at stratusphere. The V6 doesn't interest me a whole lot, 'cause I have the 2.4L I4.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast