Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler Datalog stock vs AGP

Intercooler Datalog stock vs AGP

I thought I'd share this because I just installed a AGP Direct Fit intercooler and wanted to know how much of a difference in intake temps I would see with this unit. I took a 1/4 mile datalog with the stock intercooler with a dsp 93 tune and from 0-60 the temperture rose 25F from ambient of 47F and peaked at the end of the quartermile at 100.6F. The AGP I did from a dig to 60 since the track is not open and it went up 6F from 47F.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Intercooler Datalog stock vs AGP

Seems as if its not apples and apples.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Yeah, it's about as close of a test I can make considering the track isn't open. I'll see if there is any difference when it open at the end of February. Looking at old data logs with the Stock intercooler it would start to heat soak even at short burst of boost. The AGP doesn't hardly fluctuate.

turbo addict

Ive seen the stock SRT coolers glow... Along with the brakes and turbo. 130-0-130-0-130-0 Turn around 130-0-130-0-130-0 will do that thou.... lol!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Ive seen the stock SRT coolers glow... Along with the brakes and turbo. 130-0-130-0-130-0 Turn around 130-0-130-0-130-0 will do that thou.... lol!
    How does aluminum glow without liquefying?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Well, it was dark. Middle of nowhere, at 11pm. In the daylight we wouldn't have seen it. Aluminum does have "stages" of heat in it, where it is "liquid" and does not just fall apart. If you have ever welded aluminum you would know what I was talking about, but I do understand your question. Crazy sight, Ill tell you that. My buddy took pics, but who knows what happened to them.

turbo addict

Well, it was dark. Middle of nowhere, at 11pm. In the daylight we wouldn't have seen it. Aluminum does have "stages" of heat in it, where it is "liquid" and does not just fall apart. If you have ever welded aluminum you would know what I was talking about, but I do understand your question. Crazy sight, Ill tell you that. My buddy took pics, but who knows what happened to them.
    I have welded aluminum, both oxy/acet and tig, Just goes from solid to a little lumpy then it turns to a reflective puddle. What about the rubber/silicone couplers?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Seemed fine, nothing melted. It wasnt molten, just hot enough to glow in the dark

turbo addict

Seemed fine, nothing melted. It wasnt molten, just hot enough to glow in the dark
    That would be an incredible picture! I have only had my turbine housing and downpipe emitting light.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Melting point of Al- 1220.58 °F

If it was pitch dark out you could see it glowing at around 750*F.

The melting point of Silicone is over 900 degrees and could theoretically sustain the heat necessary for the IC to put of visible light at night for a brief period.

Although implausible, it's more than possible.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

The melting point of Silicone is over 900 degrees and could theoretically sustain the heat necessary for the IC to put of visible light at night for a brief period.

Alright, But the auto ignition temperature of gasoline is 536 °F so if it was that hot, the gasoline would ignite as it left the injector causing some nasty backfires.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Alright, But the auto ignition temperature of gasoline is 536 °F so if it was that hot, the gasoline would ignite as it left the injector causing some nasty backfires.
    What does that temp do when it sees positive pressure? I'm assuming that the intake would have been at 20+PSI the whole time.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Wow... 750+ degree charge temps... wow.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I a looking up change in auto ignition temp but in the process I found this

UFLp=UFL+20.6(logP + 1)

where P is pressure in megapascals absolute, UFL is the upper flammable limit (vol% of fuel plus air) at 1 atm.

For example, if the UFL for a substance is 15% by volume at 1 atm abs, the UFL at 2 MPa ga. would be:

UFLp=15 + 20.6(log 2.101 + 1)=42% volume of fuel in ai
    UFL= the richest mixture of air/fuel that will ignite. What I found on AIT is that the closer it is to either the UFL or the LFL the higher the AIT temp is. The LFL change isnt that significant but it decreases. So in conclusion if fuel was added by the intake air temp sensor then the AIT would have increased, but not out of the 750 degree temp range. Also there is a good chance that if the intercooler surface was 750 degrees then the air passing through it could have been much higher.

http://www.gexcon.com/handbook/GEXHBchap4.htm
    ^ I really wish they included gasoline in that site.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I a looking up change in auto ignition temp but in the process I found this

UFL= the richest mixture of air/fuel that will ignite. What I found on AIT is that the closer it is to either the UFL or the LFL the higher the AIT temp is. The LFL change isnt that significant but it decreases. So in conclusion if fuel was added by the intake air temp sensor then the AIT would have increased, but not out of the 750 degree temp range. Also there is a good chance that if the intercooler surface was 750 degrees then the air passing through it could have been much higher.

http://www.gexcon.com/handbook/GEXHBchap4.htm
    ^ I really wish they included gasoline in that site.
    That could be. Do you think that the intake et. al would drop that temp much? I doubt it. I bet the cooling system was crying for mercy either way. As Mike stated 750+* outlet temps are insane.

Just as a comparrison, I went for a ride-along monitoring charge temps in a friend's SRT-4. With the stock intercooler on a 90+ degree day and repeated blasts to 20psi, charge temps never went beyond 200 degrees.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Just as a comparrison, I went for a ride-along monitoring charge temps in a friend's SRT-4. With the stock intercooler on a 90+ degree day and repeated blasts to 20psi, charge temps never went beyond 200 degrees.
    This is the info I've really been waiting for in this thread. I realized that most of the components could take that kind of heat, but I was skeptical that the turbo could generate those outlet temps without dieing a quick and ugly death.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

Wait, I thought AL didn't glow (or at least not to any degree visible the human eye) when heated? That's part of what makes tig welding AL such a PITA, you have to watch the surface of the material very closely to discern the pool and it's size/shape. I've made a mockery of quite a few pieces of AL with a good sized miller (capable of putting out 300A) and it's never glowed like steel does, even if I lift the helmet really quickly.

turbo addict

I don't know if 750 would be the number here. We were in the STICKS in late at night, and If I remember right we had to turn off the headlights to see the IC glow. So, pitch black outside we could see it glow, I don't know if that changes anything or not. We were "tuning" the car in a pretty crappy way. It was a 03, with a stage 0 computer, and stage 1 injectors. I cant remember if the fuel pressure had been bumped to 80 psi at that point or not. We were using a wideband, and a map clamp to adjust the a/f ratio. Making the computer only see say (just guessing here) 15psi when it was really running 22psi to get the a/f correct. I would also guess it was raising the timing the lower we clamped the map sensor. I would also guess by doing this we had added alot of timing. I do remember my buddy telling me the next day when he drove the car (after it had obviously cooled down) the a/f ratio had went from the 11.5 we had dialed it to, to over 13 due to the much cooler air it was now seeing.

I don't know if 750 would be the number here. We were in the STICKS in late at night, and If I remember right we had to turn off the headlights to see the IC glow. So, pitch black outside we could see it glow, I don't know if that changes anything or not. We were "tuning" the car in a pretty crappy way. It was a 03, with a stage 0 computer, and stage 1 injectors. I cant remember if the fuel pressure had been bumped to 80 psi at that point or not. We were using a wideband, and a map clamp to adjust the a/f ratio. Making the computer only see say (just guessing here) 15psi when it was really running 22psi to get the a/f correct. I would also guess it was raising the timing the lower we clamped the map sensor. I would also guess by doing this we had added alot of timing. I do remember my buddy telling me the next day when he drove the car (after it had obviously cooled down) the a/f ratio had went from the 11.5 we had dialed it to, to over 13 due to the much cooler air it was now seeing.
    While I could certainly see those changes effecting exhaust temp, can't see them effecting charge temp enough to make the intercooler glow, without doing serious damage to the turbocharger first. Likely would have seen melting of things in close proximity of the intercooler, charge plumbing and turbocharger, like vacuum hoses, or the facia.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast