Thread: Intermediate Shaft

Hybrid booster

Intermediate Shaft

me again,

my head gasket it leaking and the clutch isnt all too good, so i decided it would be a good idea to fresh'n up the bottom end a bit along with doing some upgrades.

my question is:
    once the Titanium Valve Spring Retainers are installed is there a point to having a reman or a reman cryo treated intermediate shaft installed if the one that already in the block in good shape???

let me know what you all think

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Intermediate Shaft

Thats not what kills the intermediate shaft. Theres all kinds of theory's but I think it boils down to the higher speed the oil pump is driven. If taking it apart, you might as well do it, and install a new oil pump,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

posts with in the two forums lead me to think other wise.

Now, there would really be now point to cryo treating the int shaft if the oil pump gear isnt treated as well correct? with that being said any BC'rs know of a place in province that does this?

Quote Originally Posted by WOP'R View Post
    posts with in the two forums lead me to think other wise.

Now, there would really be now point to cryo treating the int shaft if the oil pump gear isnt treated as well correct? with that being said any BC'rs know of a place in province that does this?
    How does valve spring tension kill an intermediate shaft gear? there not even close.

No one in BC. Your better off buying one of Cindy's already done.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I had my shaft and pump gear cryoed for like $12 locally. After having 2 go on me, I couldn't play Russian rullet with my TIII any longer. If nothing else, its worth peace of mind.
    -Jerry

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    How does valve spring tension kill an intermediate shaft gear? there not even close.
    I believe it's due to the high loads put on the shaft because the belt needs to be so tight. Then you take into account where that oil feed hole is.... Not exactly the best combination for proper luberication under all operating conditions, especially with it being overdriven. There's not much of the 'wedge' of oil left by the time the shaft rotates around to where it presses against the bearing the most. Just quick guesstimate by looks of it; the oil feed is roughly 300* from the point of highest load.
    Now that the bearing material is getting worn away the shaft get's a little ----ed in the bearing bores. The oil pump drive gears get a little misaligned. Whammo! The gears eat each other up.--my theory anyway.

Anywhich way, I'll be installing some type of ignition kill switch tied into the oil pressure. I've already counted my blessings I caught my guage just hitting bottom, I probably won't be so lucky next time.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

thats what i was thinkn and with the retainers installed there wouldnt need to be such a great force to turn the I shaft...

it wouldnt make any sense to me to only cryo treat the I shaft and not the pump...looks like i need to find a local source to do it. Sadly leaving the house at 8am and back at 7pm from work doesnt really allow much time to search.

thats what i was thinkn and with the retainers installed there wouldnt need to be such a great force to turn the I shaft...

it wouldnt make any sense to me to only cryo treat the I shaft and not the pump...looks like i need to find a local source to do it. Sadly leaving the house at 8am and back at 7pm from work doesnt really allow much time to search.
    Sort of makes sense.

I told ya man, I've searched high and low, I think Alberta is the closest place.

Hybrid booster

Basically it's called tow roping the timing belt........ reducing the spring pressure helps a lot......