Thread: Anyone ever have any issues with turbo to manifold bolts backing out?

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Anyone ever have any issues with turbo to manifold bolts backing out?

Recently, I've put my 86 GTS back on the road. I slapped on an 89 T2 turbo and went with a 3 inch exhaust. The exhaust was actually made for a 85 600, but I modified it to work on teh GTS.

But, it's been about the biggest headache on the car. I've had to constantly work on it to get it to not rattle, not leak, etc.

So, when my exhaust leak got really bad, I just let it go. I was tired of getting back under there and welding this or fixing that.

Well, yesterday the leak was REALLY bad. Like deafening. So, I finally put it on ramps and crawled underneath last night. I'm looking, and all my welds seem good. I can't figure out this exhaust leak. So I push up on the exhaust pipe, behind the k frame, and the whole turbo moves. Which is pretty unusual, so I look further.

Turns out there's one (visible) bolt still holding, and the 2 nuts on the pass. side of the turbo are just gone.

Now, it's possible that I just didn't tighten them up all the way, but it doesn't seem likely.

Which brings me to my question: Has anyone else had any experience with the turbo bolts backing out?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Thanks.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Anyone ever have any issues with turbo to manifold bolts backing out?

Weird, never had an issue, its possible you didn't tighten them up properly. Did you use lock washers? is the brace installed?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Never seen a turbo with lock washers on the manifold bolts before, so no. Didn't put the brace on either, but I've never really run with one on any of my cars.

However, it IS possible that I didn't tighten them properly the first time. That kind of thing happens in my garage on occasion.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Garrett booster

I hear the very odd random one coming loose (or possibly never tightened - never know), never personally had it happen... but when I tighten up those nuts, they get tightened up HARD. No lockwashers, just the regular nuts. I use the wrench and hammer method... never had an issue =)

Hybrid booster

You got to understand that in that particular area there is a lot of heat build up. Thermal expansion and contraction will cause this to happen and add to that the vibrations produced by the engine. Since I do road racing, heat, vibration and cool down time would definately create a problem on the clamping force of the fasteners. My solution, use locking nuts. Specifically the ones that come on must mopar balljoints. It might require some re-threading but once they are torqued, thermal expasion and vibration will not affect their clamping force.

Reinaldo Moloon

turbo addict

I'd venture a guess that the one that's still tight is the one you can get with a socket and extension. I've done this before as well.
    I've never used lock washers, thread lock, nylock, anything like that. But it doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    The hammer and wrench method has always worked fine for me - as long as I remembered to do it. I've always used thread lock to install the studs into the manifold.

Hybrid booster

It happened on my cousin's Shadow before. He drove it to school and on the way back home it sounded like there was no exhaust on the car. So we get home and notice that the whole turbo was loose. Three nuts came off and one was somewhat loose.