Thread: A/T aftermarket shifter Q's

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor powermaxx's Avatar

Question A/T aftermarket shifter Q's

Have a couple of Q's since my A413 tranny is encased in ice and snow still (barn on the Farm) and can't get to it .

I need to know the position of the shifter arm on the tranny itself in the Park and which direction it turns when it it goes into "Low" (clockwise or counter clockwise). And the position of the arm in Park if you're looking straight down on it when standing in front of the car (just to keep things "logical"). (Hope that made sense...)

I'm looking at the Cheatah Shifter as I have one in my Challenger already and it would make it easier switching between the cars (simular "----pit" will mimimize relearning ) if I can use the same style.

Or if someone knows of a good shifter they'd recommend and why, would also be helpful.

TIA

turbo addict

Re: A/T aftermarket shifter Q's

rotates clockwise, I'm not going to try and explain the orientation

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Any floor mount shifter will work as long as its had the same amount of detents as ours, IE PRND21. A Shadow I bought has a nice B@M unit with a universal cable. One day, I'll finish putting it back to 5 speed as the guy buthered the auto swap.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I had a hurst in my horizon for a while, but ended up swithching to a shifter from a neon, which is actually a pretty nice piece.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    rotates clockwise, I'm not going to try and explain the orientation
    Thanks!
    Orientation: How about the cable pivot center using "Clock" terms; ie 7:00 for park and goes to 12:00 for low gear?

TIA

I want to stay with the Cheatah shifter like my Challenger. (it's going to be a busy race season this year with 2 cars maybe 3 ) I'll be making a bracket to adapt it to the shift arm for a morse cable end vs stock (custom fitted to the pivot centerline).

turbo addict

well looking from the front its something like, P=7oclock, and low is 11.

something like that

Thumbs up Re: A/T aftermarket shifter Q's

well looking from the front its something like, P=7oclock, and low is 11.

something like that
    Exactly what I was after.

Thanks for the "Visualization"!

turbo addict

I have a new shifter and think my cable end is bent. I dont quite have enough travel(or the way it comes off the shifter, the cable is too tight of bend) to make it properly from P to low(or 3rd in my case). I have a ratchet and have not driven the car yet, but it shifts fine as far as I can tell except that the 2nd to 3rd doesnt quite reach(I have to really throw it back to hope it catches, and sometimes 2 times to get it in gear). But I'll have to figure that out when it gets warm and I finish up the rest of my car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have a new shifter and think my cable end is bent. I dont quite have enough travel(or the way it comes off the shifter, the cable is too tight of bend) to make it properly from P to low(or 3rd in my case). I have a ratchet and have not driven the car yet, but it shifts fine as far as I can tell except that the 2nd to 3rd doesnt quite reach(I have to really throw it back to hope it catches, and sometimes 2 times to get it in gear). But I'll have to figure that out when it gets warm and I finish up the rest of my car.
    Some aftermarket shifters do not have the right detent spacing to match our trannies. Be very careful. I burned up a trans because of this. Hence why I ditched the Hurst. Mine was meant for a RWD Torqueflite application.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Some aftermarket shifters do not have the right detent spacing to match our trannies. Be very careful. I burned up a trans because of this. Hence why I ditched the Hurst. Mine was meant for a RWD Torqueflite application.
    That's what I'm working out! Thanks for the warning though.

turbo addict

Anyone know what application to use for aftermarket auto shifters w/ the right gear spacing for the a413

Thanks, as stated the rwd chrysler is not correct

Anyone know what application to use for aftermarket auto shifters w/ the right gear spacing for the a413

I'm kind of curious about this myself. We're gonna be throwing an auto back in John's Daytona this weekend and he's not sure if he has everything for the stock shifter.
    He does have a ratchet shifter bought for another project and we'd talked about using it.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

That's exactly why I modified a Neon Shifter for my Daytona. It's really easy to cut the stock locks on the Neon shifter (and necessary for RMVB), and it still has a secondary roller detent for feel. Plus, it looks nearly stock, and fit under the 5-speed console.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I'm getting another Cheatah shifter like my Challenger. The shift detents is just a matter of pulling the top "gate" plate and modfiy it (or make another one) with the stops matching the 413 detents. I'm also going to make an adaptor for the lever arm on the tranny so I can make the shift cable come out the front of the shifter (L body E brake handle ). This allows me to flip the cable pivot center (tranny) to the opposite side for a "Pull" cable movement to shift to park (vs push). (More detail than you probably wanted...). With a custom lever arm I may even be able to match the shifter detents without making/modifying the shifter gate. Hhhhmmmm....