Thread: Flushing Fluid on the A413

Hybrid booster

Flushing Fluid on the A413

Is there a procedure to flush the converter in the A413 that can be effectively done in the driveway.

I was thinking of putting the discharge hose into a bucket and running the car
    and filling the trans at the same time. Would this be doable? Or am I just switching deck chairs on the Titanic?
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Flushing Fluid on the A413

Basically, the best way is to put the return line into a bucket and the feed line into bucket with new fluid. I did your way but it didn't flush it properly.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Yup like Simon said should work pretty well. You may have to put it in neutral, depends what your stick says("Check in Park" or "Check in Neutral").
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Basically, the best way is to put the return line into a bucket and the feed line into bucket with new fluid. I did your way but it didn't flush it properly.
    So ow much fluid should I run through? I think the manual says it holds 8.9 qts. How much did you run through it?
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

The system at my old job held 14.5 qts.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

10-14 quarts should cover it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

And, depending on your line pressure, be careful holding the discharge hose in the empty bucket.

On my V8 drag car, I run 300 psi line pressure. Had a faulty trans pressure gauge so it looked like I had zero pressure. I had the wife hold the line in an empty bucket while I started the car. She got more tranny fluid on her than in the bucket.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    And, depending on your line pressure, be careful holding the discharge hose in the empty bucket.

On my V8 drag car, I run 300 psi line pressure. Had a faulty trans pressure gauge so it looked like I had zero pressure. I had the wife hold the line in an empty bucket while I started the car. She got more tranny fluid on her than in the bucket.
    That would have been funny to see... The aftermath, that would be a different story, but at the moment, I'm sure it would have been funny.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

That would have been funny to see... The aftermath, that would be a different story, but at the moment, I'm sure it would have been funny.
    Naw, it was funny the whole time. The madder she got, the more I laughed. The more I laughed......

When I did my last 413 flush, I simply bought a case of fluid, popped the feed line and stuck it into a bucket, put a kill switch under the hood(simply tapped a toggle switch into the +12V coil feed wire), then dumped fluid in as the old ran out. If you use clear tubing, then you will see when the new stuff is flowing. I had an assistant uncapping bottles, as you can pump it dry in just a few seconds if you don't dump the new stuff in fast enough.

Mitsu booster

My apologies on reviving an old thread, However I have a rather pertinent question to ask. I have searched google, but to no avail, I can't seem to find which Transmission fluid would be best to use when flushing out my transmission.

I have a 1988 Dodge Lancer ES 2.5L TBI 3spd A413 FWD.

The dipstick says Dexron-II, However I have read multiple times, that the A413 Transmissions use Chrysler 7176. At the store, There is regular Dexron fluid, and there is ATF+4 (for use with 7176). I would like to know what the BEST fluid would be to use. Or is there even a difference?

This is the first Tranny flush I have ever done, so I want to do it right =)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

You can use Dextron II or III or 7176, however the 7176 is really only required in later electronically controlled chrysler transmissions.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

If you want to do it right, then use synthetic Dexron III, but like stated, the ATF +4 works just fine as does normal stuff. Don't forget to adjust the bands and change the filter before you flush it.

turbo addict

The 7176 spec superseded by ATF +3 superseded by ATF +4 is recommended for A413s with lockup torque convertors, but not absolutely essential. There's some risk that unless you use a fluid with friction modifiers in it, that there will be TC clutch shudder. The newer multivehicle synthetics are good enough for that. ATF +4 is the only thing I'd put in an A604 but the A413 types are a little more flexible. Some folks mix it up, use 1 quart type F, and the rest regular ATF Dextron II compatible. I've found that regular ATF and Lucas Transmission Fix do alright together. Personally I've used Universal Tractor Fluid and been happy with how it ran, the TC lockup was firm.

Before I knew any better I was using plain ATF in mine and got about 20 on the highway and never noticed the TC locking up, it may have been slipping all the time. After I found out about 7176 specs, I used a half fill (no flush) of a non-mopar version of that with no great improvement, maybe the revs settled down a bit when I was easy on the pedal. I knew I was never going to pay $7 a quart for ATF +4 though so started casting around for something cheaper, and discovered UTF, made with high VI base stocks, friction modifiers and made for $50,000 heavy duty transmissions, so began using that, and could feel the TC lock up with a satisfying tunk and could see the revs drop by 300, and began getting 23mpg and up on the highway.

turbo addict

Lucas works ok but lubeguard is the stuff to use when it comes to transmissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Yup like Simon said should work pretty well. You may have to put it in neutral, depends what your stick says("Check in Park" or "Check in Neutral").
    RWD mopars have to be checked in neutral, not the fwd 3 speeds. When in park RWD mopar trannys don't fill the converter.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Lucas works ok but lubeguard is the stuff to use when it comes to transmissions.RWD mopars have to be checked in neutral, not the fwd 3 speeds. When in park RWD mopar trannys don't fill the converter.
    Since when? I never check any tranny level in neutral, even RWD's. That would be news to me.

turbo addict

There's meant to be some difference in lube pressure between Park and Neutral which might affect things.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Since when? I never check any tranny level in neutral, even RWD's. That would be news to me.
    They have been that way since they had lock up converters in 1978. If the pump bushing wears on a rwd tranny, the converter will be half full until you put it in drive or neutral. Sonnax makes a manual valve that lets it fill the converter in park.