Thread: G body vs. L body rack

turbo addict

G body vs. L body rack

What's the difference between a G body manual rack and an L body? I have a brand new G body manual rack. I haven't measured, but the mounts look the same. Is it wider, or that & more?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Re: G body vs. L body rack

I have installed both before, but never had them side by side. I believe the only difference is that the G-body rack is wider in the body area.

I may have a spare L-body rack if you are interested.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, the G-body rack body is longer or wider so it won't work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    I have installed both before, but never had them side by side. I believe the only difference is that the G-body rack is wider in the body area.

I may have a spare L-body rack if you are interested.
    How much? Do you have a coupler also? I guess I'll be putting the G body rack up for sale. I want to find out exactly what is different before I do though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Is the extra width in the tie rods, or the unit itself? Wondering if we could use the more readily available racks and change the rod ends to make it fit and have the right geometry.

Mike

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

I believe the extra width is in the body. Will be interesting to find out the details for sure.

I don't have the rack out yet. Give me a little time (maybe 2 weeks)? But don't let me forget!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Is the extra width in the tie rods, or the unit itself? Wondering if we could use the more readily available racks and change the rod ends to make it fit and have the right geometry.

Mike

That's what I'm wondering, And I will find out. If it's in the tie rod ends, that could possibly be a simple fix. I'll try and take some measurements tomorrow.

Garrett booster

I have an L-Body rack in my basement, I'll take off both tie rods and measure the width......

The body is longer. There are no OFF the shelf inner tie rod ends that are shorter, all models use the same length. You would have to cut them and reweld them back together shorter. I don't know if I would trust that.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The body is longer. There are no OFF the shelf inner tie rod ends that are shorter, all models use the same length. You would have to cut them and reweld them back together shorter. I don't know if I would trust that.

Nah, I measured the G body rack to be around 1.5" longer (total) at the beginning of the tie rod end threads. There may be enough threads to make up the difference already. If not, the ends of the tie rod ends could be cut off enough to make up the difference (1" on each end should more than enough) and then cut more threads on the tie rod end. I may look into it further, but I think it is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    Nah, I measured the G body rack to be around 1.5" longer (total) at the beginning of the tie rod end threads. There may be enough threads to make up the difference already. If not, the ends of the tie rod ends could be cut off enough to make up the difference (1" on each end should more than enough) and then cut more threads on the tie rod end. I may look into it further, but I think it is doable.

Someone did this along time ago, memory is bad, lol, but they had to cut down the tie rod ends or I guess you could just rethread them. Also, the mounting holes don't line up either, so thats another issue to deal with. Oh yeah, he cut up a G body K-member and made it fit, that was his way of doing it, so the rack bolted up but the rods were too long.

Question is, why? theres tons of Omni racks available! Sell the G car rack and get a L body. I am all for making stuff fit but when it comes to steering, I dont' mess around.

turbo addict

Question is, why? theres tons of Omni racks available! Sell the G car rack and get a L body. I am all for making stuff fit but when it comes to steering, I dont' mess around.[/QUOTE]

I don't cobble up steering, brakes or anything else for that matter. I'm a stickler for quality and saftey. I have to be in my profession (mechanic). I was only trying to see what all was actually different for knowledge purposes

I don't cobble up steering, brakes or anything else for that matter. I'm a stickler for quality and saftey. I have to be in my profession (mechanic). I was only trying to see what all was actually different for knowledge purposes
    Gotcha, and good to know,

Just had to check, you know as well as I do some of the stuff TM'ers do to save a buck,

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The passenger side mount slides back and forth too so it should be mostly adjustable with the tie rod ends.

The driver side will line up and all of the adjustment will be in the passenger side. Worst case you will have to cut some material off from the rack or the tie rod end to shorten it.

(Based on my experiences with frame narrowing to fit an lbody)

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    The passenger side mount slides back and forth too so it should be mostly adjustable with the tie rod ends.

The driver side will line up and all of the adjustment will be in the passenger side. Worst case you will have to cut some material off from the rack or the tie rod end to shorten it.

(Based on my experiences with frame narrowing to fit an lbody)

-Rich
    That's exactly what I have been discovering. I think it would be a go without too much trouble. I have a spare Charger body. I may mock up the G body rack in it just to see what's up.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That's exactly what I have been discovering. I think it would be a go without too much trouble. I have a spare Charger body. I may mock up the G body rack in it just to see what's up.
    One other thing to consider in doing this is that since it seems the difference in length is in the body of the rack the pivot points will be further out (towards the wheels), and that might start giving you some bump steer issues, since they tie rods won't follow the same arc. Don't know if it would be a big deal, or even a problem, but if you'll be mocking it up, you might want to look at that aspect as well.

Mike