Thread: Turbo Data Base

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Turbo Data Base

I have a knowledge gap in terms of basic turbo specs.

The gap is made worse by retailers and manufacturers who use proprietary marketing language that's good for them but bad for us.

I don't want to learn their boogie woogie terminology - tell me what the part measures! When I know which part is bigger or smaller, I can envision the rest.

How about we all contribute data to a data base that compares the specs of turbos - dimensions of wheels, OD/Height of inducers/exducers, OD/Height of turbine wheels, wheel fin counts, ID of compressor inlets/outlets, shaft axial play, inducer to compressor housing clearance, compressor base to compressor cover clearance, A/Rs and so on?

Because we do not have such a data base, we have no way of knowing whether a used or rebuilt turbo is "Go or No Go." This is especially so with respect to remanufactured covers, shaft axial play, and wheel to cover clearances.

What format, best way? Good idea?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

Re: Turbo Data Base

That is a good idea. Some of that is covered on thedodgegarage.com and other td sites as well but not compiled into one place.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Turbo Data Base

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I have a knowledge gap in terms of basic turbo specs.

The gap is made worse by retailers and manufacturers who use proprietary marketing language that's good for them but bad for us.

I don't want to learn their boogie woogie terminology - tell me what the part measures! When I know which part is bigger or smaller, I can envision the rest.

How about we all contribute data to a data base that compares the specs of turbos - dimensions of wheels, OD/Height of inducers/exducers, OD/Height of turbine wheels, wheel fin counts, ID of compressor inlets/outlets, shaft axial play, inducer to compressor housing clearance, compressor base to compressor cover clearance, A/Rs and so on?

Because we do not have such a data base, we have no way of knowing whether a used or rebuilt turbo is "Go or No Go." This is especially so with respect to remanufactured covers, shaft axial play, and wheel to cover clearances.

What format, best way? Good idea?

Sizes arent cut and dry as you think. If you look at the sizes between the different garrett generational wheels, you can see a huge difference. Your best bet is to just compare compressor maps even though some o fthem are computer generated, not based on real measurements. You can find the database of compressor maps at my site.... http://www.squirrelpf.com

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!