Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need top end gain!

Hybrid booster

Need top end gain!

Would a two piece intake, and a better IC improve top end? I have a probe IC and a one piece intake on the car now. Also I need to stop my turbo from spiking to over 20PSI. If I remove the restrictor on the wastegate solenoid vacuum line, would that help?

turbo addict

Re: Need top end gain!

A better i/c will for sure. Going from a stock T2 to a Cummins allowed me to rev the car another 300rpms. I like the 2 piece. I run them on all my cars. What turbo are you running? Removing the restrictor should help a bit.

Hybrid booster

I have yet to take a good look at the turbo, I know it's a T3 Garrett, and it is only oil cooled. That's part of the reason I want to swap the intake manifold so I can take a good look at the turbo. I have a ported two piece intake with a 52mm TB. I recently got the car, and I couldn't get a lot of info on the car from the kid I bought it from. He got it from somebody else who seemed to know what he was doing.

turbo addict

what kind of car? The turbo should be watercooled as well. All Turbo Dodge's had watercooled turbos.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The 1 piece has shorter intake runners. Theoretically it should be better at higher rpms than the 1 piece.

What exactly do you mean by wanting more "top end"? Do you want more power abive 4500rpm, or do you want more top speed?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

but the entry into the runners sucks and there's not a very good plenum. I tried a 1 piece on my ShelbyZ since I was "stealing" the 2 piece for my GLH. Even had the bumps in the runners removed and it was so bad I went and found another 2 piece to put back on it.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gvare001 View Post
    Would a two piece intake, and a better IC improve top end? I have a probe IC and a one piece intake on the car now. Also I need to stop my turbo from spiking to over 20PSI. If I remove the restrictor on the wastegate solenoid vacuum line, would that help?

Get a g-valve on your car, and throw out that probe cooler. they suck pretty bad. Find a stock T-II intercooler. Actually, i may have some for sale along with a VNT intercooler.

You shouldn't be boosting to 20psi with a stock computer and controls.
    You have a problem elsewhere I'll say.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

what kind of car? The turbo should be watercooled as well. All Turbo Dodge's had watercooled turbos.
    The car's a 86 SC, the turbo is a Garrett, and it is only oil cooled as a said, there are no coolant lines into it. I'll know more about it this weekend when I swap the intake.

The 1 piece has shorter intake runners. Theoretically it should be better at higher rpms than the 1 piece.

What exactly do you mean by wanting more "top end"? Do you want more power abive 4500rpm, or do you want more top speed?
    The car pulls really hard up until 4500~5000rpm, after that it flatten's out a bit. So yeah maybe a little more power above 4500 will be nice.

Get a g-valve on your car, and throw out that probe cooler. they suck pretty bad. Find a stock T-II intercooler. Actually, i may have some for sale along with a VNT intercooler.

You shouldn't be boosting to 20psi with a stock computer and controls.
    You have a problem elsewhere I'll say.
    I have a stock TII laying around, but I was hoping for one of those same side inlet/oulet intercooler from ebay, they look sweet. About the boosting situation, I can't really floor the car because the boost gauge goes past 20psi, once it settles around 15psi then I can go wot. The car has a GLHS stage two computer.
    One more question, my boost gauge runs off the TB; is the boost reading at the TB innacurate?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The car's a 86 SC, the turbo is a Garrett, and it is only oil cooled as a said, there are no coolant lines into it. I'll know more about it this weekend when I swap the intake.
    The car pulls really hard up until 4500~5000rpm, after that it flatten's out a bit. So yeah maybe a little more power above 4500 will be nice.
    I have a stock TII laying around, but I was hoping for one of those same side inlet/oulet intercooler from ebay, they look sweet. About the boosting situation, I can't really floor the car because the boost gauge goes past 20psi, once it settles around 15psi then I can go wot. The car has a GLHS stage two computer.
    One more question, my boost gauge runs off the TB; is the boost reading at the TB innacurate?
    If your truly running 20 psi, your a lucky man unless someone's put really big injectors in.

I like the 2 piece intake also.

Put the boost guage to manifold vacuum, not the TB.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

You mean the treadstone intercoolers? If so, they are good ones.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

So the car is already converted to T2 status? +1 always run the boost gauge off the manifold source. You might just be seeing a boost spike in the i/c hoses. Take out the restrictor in the wastegate line too. This will get more pressure to your actuator faster.

Hybrid booster

If your truly running 20 psi, your a lucky man unless someone's put really big injectors in.
    Actually when I got the car, it had TI injectors. I swap them with TII units. Somehow my A/F gauge stays on the rich side when spiking to past 20PSI. The car's setup for a fifth injector, but everything is missing except for the wires. The block is the original one, I checked the vin on it, but I don't know anything about the internals. By the way I'm planning to swap the manifold without removing the head. How complicated should it be?

Actually when I got the car, it had TI injectors. I swap them with TII units. Somehow my A/F gauge stays on the rich side when spiking to past 20PSI. The car's setup for a fifth injector, but everything is missing except for the wires. The block is the original one, I checked the vin on it, but I don't know anything about the internals. By the way I'm planning to swap the manifold without removing the head. How complicated should it be?
    You should be ok with TII injectors.

You have to remove the head to swap over the manifolds. It can be done but the time and energy to do it, its way faster and easier to pull the head.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

we need pics of the engine bay

Hybrid booster

Here's one.

Hybrid booster

Ok so the head is off. I have a few questions. There are some nicks on cylinder #4 , what could have cause this? Also here's a pic of the turbo it's supposed to be a T0321. So I guess I'll be swaping the manifolds now, but I'll have to wait for the head gasket to arrive. One more question, would this be the right time to swap to the G head now. I'll have to have it cleaned up, but I have some new oversize valves for it. What do you guys think. Would the GLHS calibration work good with the G head, and also could the roller cam be installed on it. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ok so the head is off. I have a few questions. There are some nicks on cylinder #4 , what could have cause this? Also here's a pic of the turbo it's supposed to be a T0321. So I guess I'll be swaping the manifolds now, but I'll have to wait for the head gasket to arrive. One more question, would this be the right time to swap to the G head now. I'll have to have it cleaned up, but I have some new oversize valves for it. What do you guys think. Would the GLHS calibration work good with the G head, and also could the roller cam be installed on it. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.

The knicks looks like something got broken and bounced around, possible spark plug.

You have a Garret TII turbo so your fine.

I personally don't like the G-head and you will need a custom cal to run it properly.

Yes, you can use a roller cam on a G-head, its the sliders you have to be careful about.

Hybrid booster

I got the manifold ready, I'll just have to wait for the HG. Turns out that the one piece was ported to fit the head, and it has a 58mm TB. I'm still going with the two piece, it's ported to fit the bottom piece, and the upper piece is ported to fit the 52mm TB. What do you guys think?

58mm is way too big. Go with the 2 piece and 52 or 46mm t/b. For a stock application, I would try the 46 first then swap to the 52 and see if you notice anything.

turbo addict

simon look closer at the turbo. The exhaust side might be chryco but the center section and comp housing aren't. I'd find a good T1 turbo and slide it into the exhaust and find a T2 comp housing. Then hook the water up. It'll make it last much longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast