Thread: 5spd into a van (check list)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

5spd into a van (check list)

Looking to swap a 5spd into the van by the beginning of next month. All I have is the pedal assy out of an '89 Shadow.

Could the guts in a 523 hold up to around 325 WHP and some serious beaten on? I was looking at this clutch from Cindy: http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...&ProductID=570 This is for the small spline trannys, I know the 523 has a large spline, I' know she has this same clutch for the larger spline. The only difference on her page was the year of the vehicle, I'm not sure if that matters...

She reccommended upgrading to the 2,100 lb DD PP but that's an additional $105. Would it really be neccessary? I will be doing some drag racing in it, but mainly it's just a street vehicle.

Away from that. What can I use as far as cables go? Am I all alone with a van here? Do I have to go to the dealer and gather all 3 cables?

Looking at Donovan's page on the mini 5spd swap, he used the Shadow cables. This of course will be okay then, right? I think I still have these...

Any weird things about a 90 K-frame vs an 89 K-frame?? I think they're all the same. Shouldn't matter as we'll have to weld the strut bracket in wherever. Just making sure about this.

Any other tips and info would be great. Thanks.

Re: 5spd into a van (check list)

You should ask 1fastcsx289. He just swapped his over a couple of months ago.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

K thanks Scott.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ...Could the guts in a 523 hold up to around 325 WHP and some serious beaten on? ...
    In a full weight van? hmm, not so sure about that.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Is a 555 much beefier? I thought the only differences were the diffs?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

difference is gear teeth.

A525/520/523 = fine tooth

A555/568 = course tooth

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

If I were you I would go the route of a 555 or a 568 for the van. The 523 is durable, but for street driving and the occasional track duty the 555 or 568 is a better starting point. The cables from a Shadow should work just fine for you application.

Garrett booster

I just swapped my '89 ES to an A555 a couple of months ago.

Cables - I used a Daytona shifter / cables. They were long enough that I bolted the shifter straight to the floor without the floor bracket a few inches behind the stock location. I don't know how tall you are, I'm 6'2'', the stock location (in my parts van) was too far forward to be comfortable for me, but I almost moved it too far back. There's a crossbrace right underneath where I wanted to put it, and I just went behind it for ease of installation. Even with it that far back, I got used to it fairly quickly. Anyway, if that's not an issue the Shadow cables seem to work for people.

Pedals - I don't know about the Shadow pedals, but if you can fabricate you should be fine. Post a write up if you do this! The minivan pedal is a breeze, bolt in and go.

Trans - JT is right, the 555 / 568 have coarser gears for strength. If you want to get really complicated you can put a late model 555 gearset (if you've got one laying around) in that 523 and basically have a 568. Remember how heavy your van is and the torque you want to make when you pick a trans. You'll break the trans easier in a 3500lb vehicle than a 2500lb vehicle.

Great input. Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get my grubby hands on all this stuff. I'm sure I still have 5spd parts from that Shadow I gutted.

You've got me wondering about the shifter now, DeckSetter. Is it actually tall enough to comfortably shift in every day traffic??

Is there any difference in transmission as far as shift forks and synchros go?? We have ended up having troubles with those in my brother's Spirit.

Garrett booster

Im 6'2 and i fount the shifter location in my 90 turbo caravan to be great. My hand fell right on the shifter, and the armrest never got in the way. I even used the van to deliver parts and it was great to drive.

Hybrid booster

You will need the clutch pedal from another van since the plastic cam piece is different. And the Daytona cables are the same size as the vans but Shadow cable might work fine.

http://www.robskorner.org/88caravan/....html#research

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

You've got me wondering about the shifter now, DeckSetter. Is it actually tall enough to comfortably shift in every day traffic??

There are a few different shifters. The one I have is from a Daytona ('89 I think?) and it's straight. It's long enough that the top of the shift knob is about level with the top of the seat cushion. Then again, that's also bolted straight to the floor (that shouldn't make much of a height difference though).

My parts van also has a straight shifter, and it's too far forward to be comfortable for me.

I think some shifters have a bend in them. I don't know how much it moves the knob location back, but ANYTHING is better than the straight shifter in the stock location in my opinion... Maybe someone can chime in with a pic of one with a bend in it.

I'm not sure which shifter a factory manual van has.

Hybrid booster

mine has the bent shifter but at install time i didnot have the floor brakett, but now i have. anyway i have power seat and bolted it to the floor where it should go and i,m 5 10 and i have no problem with it. alan

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor whywoody's Avatar

I used a 3.50fd 523 small spline,cables,and shifter from a shadow.The pedal and clutch cable came from a van,cable bracket at strut tower also from the van.The shadow cables are almost too short,if the daytona's are longer go that route.I found with stock engine mounts the cables get a hard time,shift a bit crappy etc as they are pulled about by the engine movement.I made a small bracket for the clutch pedal to stop against as the auto pedal bracket dosen't have this.The shifter is in a good spot when the arm rest is up,but a pita when down.
    I have used this 523 and cheap clutch for about 20k klm's,also added a drain plug to it,so I change the oil more often than probably needed.
    The gains in economy and less exhaust drone on the highway,made this swap totally worthwhile for me.
    The van has mods,and this set-up is hanging together fine.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...940026c4af.htm

turbo addict

my girl has a 92 with the stock 523, has a bent shifter...i have a spare bent long one from a mini in my garage...

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    my girl has a 92 with the stock 523, has a bent shifter...i have a spare bent long one from a mini in my garage...
    I thought only Shadows had the bent shifters. With 555/520s, only the 89 Shadow has the one with the bend in it. All the other shifters are straight. Stands to reason the trend continued with 523/568's. I pulled a shifter from a Daytona to swap into my Spirit and it's straight.

But maybe Mini's can be added to the list. I guess it's easy enough to check though!
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Hybrid booster

I think the 523/543/568 all had bent shifters. They are different than the 555's etc, and every one I've seen was bent backwards. I thought all the a555's had straight shifters. The reverse lockout probably wouldnt work right if it was bent right?

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

I know the 89 P-bodies have a bent shifter for the 520/555. I pulled one from an 89 Sundance RS and used it with the 555 in my SC. Brought it that little bit closer to me than the straight shifter would. Still a bit far away though. I'm exploring other options
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Garrett booster

Im pretty sure most of the 89 + cars had bent shifters. I know both my Shadow's did, and I know that the Neon's and SRT-4's do.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by boostboy View Post
    Im pretty sure most of the 89 + cars had bent shifters. I know both my Shadow's did, and I know that the Neon's and SRT-4's do.
    Hmm I think you got it. The '88 Daytona that I looked at had a straight shifter and all the other manuals that I've seen have been '90 and up, and they all had bent shifters.