Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a cam!

Help me pick a cam!

I have a '90 turbo mini w/ a TII turbo and an A413. I'm still puting my new setup together but so far I have a lightly ported swirl, ported 1-piece intake, ported stock exhaust mani, 3-bar map and FWDP stage 4 computer, +40% injectors AFPR and walbro 255, spearco 1080, and a few other odds and ends. Van's raceweight is under 3k lbs. I plan on running max boost on the stock TII turbo (23ish psi?) and will be picking up an alky injection kit soon. The van will spend most of its time at the track.

I was looking at the FWDP F-3 cam and was looking for suggestions on what would work best with my setup.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Help me pick a cam!

Honeslty couldn't help you with Cindy's new cams, she doesn't have any dyno numbers. I really like the old S2, the rollerized S60 cam. I am going on the dyno in the next few weeks to test the old S2 and S3 cams but I went fasted on the S2 cam when I had it in my van.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

OK, here are the specs if that helps:

272/262 duration at .006 tappett lift on the intake/exhaust
    460/460 gross valve lift on the intake/exhaust
    centerline 114

I think I read somewhere recently this is the same cam as the S2. Anyone know if that's true?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Rat View Post
    OK, here are the specs if that helps:

272/262 duration at .006 tappett lift on the intake/exhaust
    460/460 gross valve lift on the intake/exhaust
    centerline 114

I think I read somewhere recently this is the same cam as the S2. Anyone know if that's true?

This is the S2 specs-

270/259 duration at .006 tappett lift on the intake/exhaust
    470/450 gross valve lift on the intake/exhaust
    centerline 114
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If sticking with the stock turbo, stick with the stock cam.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Why do you say that? I'm not concerned with driveability at all. All I want is more power. It's hard for me to imagine the stock cam making the most power for my combo.

I know alot of power has been made on the stockers but there is more power to be made. I would go with that cam you chose or an S3.

Because with the stock turbo, the backpressure in the exhaust manifold will be so high there is no point in picking a cam with any amount of overlap. Upgrade the turbo before upgrading the cam. This is basic.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

So I should look for a cam with a little less duration?

So I should look for a cam with a little less duration?
    Yes, a factory turbo cam.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

lmao, so my stock cam will make the most power? Why do people use a stock TBI cam?

lmao, so my stock cam will make the most power? Why do people use a stock TBI cam?
    More duration, more lift.

I've used turbo rollers, TBI rollers, and some aftermarket OEM replacements... none showed any difference in ET or trap. I'm currently using one of Steve M's cams and seat of the pants is a big difference in top end. No conclusinve track or dyno results yet, but we shall see. I can really only see the benefit of a cam with big turbo, and full port work.

But to answer your question, YES. Thus far the fastest 8v cars are using factory cams. Turbo Rollers. That may change this season tho
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Thanks for your input Mike.

My brother has a '90 turbo volvo. With the stock untouched 8 valve head, stock turbo (even smaller than mine!) and an aftermarket turbo cam, he picked up a decent amount of power and lowered his ET at the track. I don't believe the factory cam in a minivan designed to commute comfortably and reliably will also make the best power.

Does anyone here running an aftermarket cam an a stock TII turbo have any input?

Mike has alot of experience with the 2.2 and he knows what he's doing but I believe as do others that the 2.5 will like more of a cam even stock-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ghlight=cam%2A

This is a good thread on TD-

Honestly, for a stock type engine, go with the F or S2 cam, you will love it.

Thanks for your input Mike.

My brother has a '90 turbo volvo. With the stock untouched 8 valve head, stock turbo (even smaller than mine!) and an aftermarket turbo cam, he picked up a decent amount of power and lowered his ET at the track. I don't believe the factory cam in a minivan designed to commute comfortably and reliably will also make the best power.

Does anyone here running an aftermarket cam an a stock TII turbo have any input?
    I don't know much about Volvos, but I've been playing with Turbo Mopars for 10 years. Do you have a Volvo engine in your van? If so, then perhaps a bigger cam can help you.

That factory cam in your minivan is also used in Dodge Daytona Shelby, in Grandma's Acclaim, in countless 12 and 11 sec cars, as well as couple 10 second cars too. This isn't because other cams WEREN'T available. And it wasn't because they were too expensive. It's because other cams were TRIED and didn't work as well as the STOCK cam.

The cam should be one of the LAST upgrades you make to your engine.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Mike, wouldn't a cam with more duration be helpful at lower boost levels? The S-60 cam was designed for 18 psi wasn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Mike, wouldn't a cam with more duration be helpful at lower boost levels? The S-60 cam was designed for 18 psi wasn't it?
    Some have had luck with S60 cam. Many more haven't. But, the S60 cam was designed to be used at 18psi or lower, and with an upgraded turbo. The van in question will be boosting 20+psi on a stock turbo. Massive exhaust backpressure!

I'm currently using an upgraded cam from Steve Menegon, and it seems to be working well, but the head, turbo, intake and exhaust are all upgraded as well.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

But to answer your question, YES. Thus far the fastest 8v cars are using factory cams. Turbo Rollers. That may change this season tho[/QUOTE]

Warren Stramer (10.60's), Aaron(8valves) 400+WHP, and myself run the Taft S3 cam. But of course with mods to makes it work. I wouldn't run a cam with alot of overlap with a stock type of setup and high boost (20+psi). The added backpressure of the stock pieces and turbo can cause problems during overlap when running high boost, and kill alot of the power that could be made from reversion, or even worse, cause detonation. I tried out the Taft S3 cam using a stock setup (T2 with a stock G head). I had to use race gas at anything above 18psi to be safe ( was bad to detonate). I ran 8.70's @ 87mph in 1/8th on street radials @ 18 to 20psi, which was fairly good. The stock turbo did have a .63 turbine housing on it to help reduce backpressure a little.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post

Warren Stramer (10.60's), Aaron(8valves) 400+WHP, and myself run the Taft S3 cam. But of course with mods to makes it work. I wouldn't run a cam with alot of overlap with a stock type of setup and high boost (20+psi). The added backpressure of the stock pieces and turbo can cause problems during overlap when running high boost, and kill alot of the power that could be made from reversion, or even worse, cause detonation. I tried out the Taft S3 cam using a stock setup (T2 with a stock G head). I had to use race gas at anything above 18psi to be safe ( was bad to detonate). I ran 8.70's @ 87mph in 1/8th on street radials @ 18 to 20psi, which was fairly good. The stock turbo did have a .63 turbine housing on it to help reduce backpressure a little.
    I do stand corrected. I didn't know Warren was running a non-stock cam. Still, my point is still valid. Warren has a big turbo, ITB manifold, equal length header, etc. Certainly if anybody could stand to gain something from a properly ground camshaft, his car would be it!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast