Thread: Cold Weather Caution!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cold Weather Caution!

As the temperature drops make sure to keep an eye on every part of your engine that has to seal. Seals tend to shrink and leak when they get cold. Oil, coolant, fuel, etc can all cause problems. Add to this that some of us are driving cars with 20 year old seals on them and that is even more concern to keep an eye on things.

What prompted me to write this public service announcement? I just moved the kitchen cabinets from the garage to the kitchen and moved the shadow back into the garage. I have not driven it since the January SDAC-Chicago meeting and it is a lot colder now than then, and the fuel line was leaking right where it attaches to the rail!

Be safe everyone!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Re: Cold Weather Caution!

Thanks for the tips. I did notice I am very low on brake fluid, could the cold cause it to condense inside the master cylinder?? I doubt I have a leak as the lines are brand new by Rob Pachner.

Check your fuel lines.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I did notice I am very low on brake fluid, could the cold cause it to condense inside the master cylinder?? I doubt I have a leak as the lines are brand new by Rob Pachner.

Check your fuel lines.
    Your low brake fluid is a sign you have a leak or your front brakes are wearing down. As disc brakes wear, the piston stays out more so the void behind them in the caliper gets bigger so the fluid level drops. Drums are adjusted using the shoe's so the level doesn't drop.

Great advice JT, another one is try to let your auto warm up for 5-10 mins when its really cold out so the oil has time to circulate and some of the metals gets some heat to it, including the pistons,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Nice additional comment Simon, definitely want to let it all warm up and egt lubricated, especially the turbocharger!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Watch your tire pressure too...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice additional comment Simon, definitely want to let it all warm up and egt lubricated, especially the turbocharger!
    I like to plug in my block heater, even though it's never that cold here. Everyone bugs me about it but it's worth it for the easy start and quick heat

Just had to fill & bleed the brakes in the Dakota. I think they must have leaked a little the other day when it was really cold

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

This week has been frozen struts and leaking steering racks. Let the cars warm up for a few minutes before trying to go anywhere.

Try to allow a little heat in the car before turning on the rear defroster. A few rear windows have blown up this week...

The slider in my Dakota back window popped last year and it wasnt that cold out, but the ride to work sure was!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I've got 1 to add. Proper weight oil for the temperature. I've still got 15w-40 in the Sundance and it sounds pretty scary for the first few seconds after startup. I hope that's all it is.

10w40 has been ok for my truck and the wifes jeep so far, but I could see how the 15w is a little too heavy

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

I've found that the best cold weaher precaution is simply driving a vehicle that you don't care about. LOL. So much less effort

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    10w40 has been ok for my truck and the wifes jeep so far, but I could see how the 15w is a little too heavy

I've used 0w40 Mobil synth since right after I broke it in....no unusual noises for me!

I'm planning on doing an oil change in the next couple days. I'll probably go with a synthetic, most likely Mobil1, in 10w-30. It's supposed to get back down in the teens and single digits so I'll let it sleep outside overnight and see how much of a difference the oil makes in the way it sounds on a cold start.

TurboII

Another one to add is lubricate your key locks and door hinges cause ever since the temp been dropping i cant use my driver side door and it has noting to do with the moister its just so damn cold it freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    Another one to add is lubricate your key locks and door hinges cause ever since the temp been dropping i cant use my driver side door and it has noting to do with the moister its just so damn cold it freezes.
    I ran into that myself. On a cold day it felt like the key was gonna break off in the door lock before it would turn. A shot of WD40 cleared it right up.

Mitsu booster

When it got down to around zero and below in the Midwest, my Lebaron wouldn't start for about 2 weeks. I was getting fuel, spark but it wouldn't run. Any ideas?

It runs now, but I think my fuel pump is going out.