Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with cold weather starting?

Garrett booster

What is up with cold weather starting?

Well i got to experience the cold weather not wanting to start this Am. The temp outside is a sunny 19 deg. and i left my beauty sit out all night,well it did not want to start,cranked slow,Poss. weak starter?,oil is 5W30,so i didn't want to flood the plugs so it got pushed inside for a little warmth,my question is don't these Turbo's like the cold weather starting?battery is up,timming is on,no vac leaks,been screaming all week,got it self a new perform. comp.today have not installed yet,but will do so ASAP,i would hate to think it has to be parked inside all the time,good thing it is not my DD. After everthing else i have been thru with this one , i am sure it's just a minor problem,any suggestions?

Garrett booster

Re: What is up with cold weather starting?

Weak battery, too much resistance in the battery cables, weak starter, too thick engine oil, etc etc.

Your battery might test fine after it's warmed up a little, but that does you no good when you need it start the car outside!

boostaholic

It could be the batery going bad.

Garrett booster

Probably a weak battery, and I've found that aftermarket ecu's don't start *as well* in the cold, but it'll be different for each one.

If it's having trouble cranking at only 19*F then the battery is probably really weak. I've found that a proper running TM with a good battery (even if it's just a 500-600cca) will not have a proplem starting even down at -35-40*F. And if the block heater is plugged in I think absolute zero is what it'll take to stop one

it get's cold up here, tons of experience. lol

Garrett booster

Thanks guys,it makes me glad that the battery is still under warrenty,i will take it back and have them replace it....I did get the MP computer in the car and what a screemer now,smokes the tires in first and second with no effort,it has the makings of a mustang killer,Ha!

Garrett booster

Well it would seem that the AIS is not wanting to work right on the car now,not sure quite the problem is at this point,car has a very low Idle... on start,i will try to see if it reads any codes and get back....

I have the same problem on an 85 T1. Everything checks out ok. I'm leaning toward the tb also. It started great in warm weather. Take that sucker off and spit shine it inside.

Garrett booster

Cool Re: What is up with cold weather starting?

Well we are back.... Not sure what that was all about except maybe the MP Ecu is just different from the stock,I tried it again took right off,AIS did it's job to,but the Idle was a little fast at first,can't wait it get it back out and test it for the boost,the A/F guage reads Good to Sli rich during WOT.. the car hits 85Mph like nothing... I don't think it likes sleeping outside much.

Hybrid booster

19f is cold? lol It's been in the 0 - Neg 4 range here lately.. The newly aquired Concorde had little trouble starting.

My car just cranks a little slower but fires up every time even on those mornings when it's 10 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 89DaytonaTII View Post
    Probably a weak battery, and I've found that aftermarket ecu's don't start *as well* in the cold, but it'll be different for each one.

If it's having trouble cranking at only 19*F then the battery is probably really weak. I've found that a proper running TM with a good battery (even if it's just a 500-600cca) will not have a proplem starting even down at -35-40*F. And if the block heater is plugged in I think absolute zero is what it'll take to stop one

it get's cold up here, tons of experience. lol
    What's a TM sound like when you first start it and it's that cold??
    It's been down around 15f here and the Sundance sounds like it's gonna hang a rod through the side of the block for the first few seconds after startup. I guess I should probably go to a thinner oil.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

A low compression engine with premium gas and cold spark plugs is not going to be easy to start in cold weather.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

hehe My 2.5 with a garden tractor batt (330cca), AR51's (RN6YC heat range) and premium fuel cranks over no problems in the 0-2 degree F we had this winter. No AIS either Starts up on the 2nd rotation everytime.

Garrett booster

All i can say about that is you guys have some understanding cars,Mine had sat for 10 years,but i have brought it back from rusted solid rotors on front to replaceing the headliner and most of the interior,i really think the biggest problem with it the lack of driving it gets... I have slowly gotten most of the bugs out of it,i have ordered several MP ecu's and finnally got one that it seems to like... I have tried to post pictures of it 1 of 387,i did my own painting,modified exhaust,but for some reason i can not get the pictures posted,not sure if it is on my end or franks,i have emailed him,has not responded yet? by far the best website i have been too!

My TI Spirit starts every morning outside in the cold on the third or so rotation. Of course it gets driven 120 miles a day 5 days a week. Even the morning it was -15 F she started right up. I let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes before I take off in the morning, and its still not warm inside on some of the colder mornings.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Dave View Post
    All i can say about that is you guys have some understanding cars,Mine had sat for 10 years,but i have brought it back from rusted solid rotors on front to replaceing the headliner and most of the interior,i really think the biggest problem with it the lack of driving it gets... I have slowly gotten most of the bugs out of it,i have ordered several MP ecu's and finnally got one that it seems to like... I have tried to post pictures of it 1 of 387,i did my own painting,modified exhaust,but for some reason i can not get the pictures posted,not sure if it is on my end or franks,i have emailed him,has not responded yet? by far the best website i have been too!
    My non starter is an 85 GTS named Lazy Larry. It also sat for TEN years. Mine needed all new brakes, fuel line, pump, J1 J2 wires, hep, and on and on.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897 View Post
    What's a TM sound like when you first start it and it's that cold??
    It's been down around 15f here and the Sundance sounds like it's gonna hang a rod through the side of the block for the first few seconds after startup. I guess I should probably go to a thinner oil.
    When this cold one needs to run 5w-30 if conventional oil or 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic. I ran 0w-30synthetic one year! lol! the thing would start ANYTIME like nothing!

MY van has a fresh engine so it sounds just fine starting..all I get sometimes is the alternator howling. This thing has started no problem at -35C and 10w-30 conventional oil in it!!

For a CERTAIN start every time,synthetic oil,block heater and a battery blanket and your off every time!

Quote Originally Posted by BARRON View Post
    When this cold one needs to run 5w-30 if conventional oil or 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic. I ran 0w-30synthetic one year! lol! the thing would start ANYTIME like nothing!

MY van has a fresh engine so it sounds just fine starting..all I get sometimes is the alternator howling. This thing has started no problem at -35C and 10w-30 conventional oil in it!!

For a CERTAIN start every time,synthetic oil,block heater and a battery blanket and your off every time!
    I hope that's all mine needs. It was still pretty warm the last time I changed the oil and I believe I put 15w-40 in it.
    Probably gonna do an in-car bearing swap before the next oil change just to be on the safe side though.

Hybrid booster

ever pour 15w-40 out of a jug when its about 20 degrees below freezing.. you can turn the jug upside down as your walking to the vehicle..and it will be coming out by the time you lift the hood and get the oil fill cap off.

Well, if that's the case, maybe I'll try changing the oil to 10w-30, see how it sounds on a cold start, then have a look at the oil pressure before I decide to replace the bearings.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast