Thread: 1992 Iroc R/T Gauge Cluster in 1990 Daytona Shelby

Talking 1992 Iroc R/T Gauge Cluster in 1990 Daytona Shelby

Prior to putting my Daytona back on the road at the end of last summer, I was looking in to ways of making my interior unique. That is when I saw Iroc R/T gauge clusters went up to 160 MPH, had more dashes in the tachometer, and also had a green foglight symbol when lights are on instead of that annoying yellow one. I was thankfully able to find and purchase one, and seeing no difference in the setup of the cluster, put it directly into my car. Here is the scoop on it:

I have a '92 Iroc R/T cluster and wanted to make it work in my 1990 Daytona Shelby. I simply removed the factory 1990 one from my car back in September and swapping in the one from the 1992. Well, needless to say, I ran into the following problems when I did so:

- the battery voltage would go crazy when I'd turn the lights on
    - when high beams would be turned on, the left turn signal symbol would stay lit rather than the high beam symbol
    - BUT, when I'd put on the left turn signal, at any time, the high beam symbol would blink instead of the arrow

Everything else worked fine, though. It made it really neat having the 160 MPH speedometer as well as the different looking tachometer (more dashes).

But, I finally grew sick of these small problems, and was going to take the R/T cluster out and replace it with a spare factory one that I have. I didn't want to give up that easily though. So, I took both clusters completely apart, and to make a long story short, put the gauges from the R/T cluster into the white housing of my spare 1990 cluster. WALA! Everything works great. I believe the difference is the circuit board that the gauges themselves are attached to. In the 1992's, the backs of the gauges lie on metal, whereas the 1990 housings allow for the gauges to lie on plastic. I don't know if this causes the difference or not, but that is my assumption.

So, in other words, you CAN put an Iroc R/T cluster setup into your 1990 Daytona by swapping the gauges into the 1990 housing! Cool, huh?

Important note: Do not try to swap out gauges while car is on (duh, but I did anyways without realizing I'd blow the fuse). I thought at first I shorted out everything, but thankfully it was just the #14 fuse. ALl in all, make sure the cluster is out of the car when you take everything apart, and make sure it is all back together and all plugs are in securely when you go to start it up.

It is very difficult to find Iroc R/T clusters since A) the cars are so rare B) not many are parted. So, this information may be useless if I am the only 1990 with this cluster setup installed, but it's worth a look!

Another helpful hint:

If you are a 1990 - 1993 Daytona guy and do not like the boost gauge built into the tachometer part of hte gauge cluster, simply find a V6 model of that year (or go through the steps that I listed above) and take out teh plain tachometer. Then, swap it with that of the tachometer/boost gauge setup with your turbo model. Then, you can add a name brand boost gauge to an a-pillar or anywhere else in your driving view. I figure most do not do this because what's the sense in using two boost gauges? Well now you won't have two!

Hope this helped at least one person

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Re: 1992 Iroc R/T Gauge Cluster in 1990 Daytona Shelby

Hey Billy,
    Good info! Thanks for posting. One thought as to why they didn't work the first time. Like you found out, the circut boards are different. I think the reason for that is probably the difference between the SBEC (in the 90) and the SBEC-II's that are in the 92+ vehicles. I have always heard that the SBEC-II's contol interior features such as dash cluster, cruise control, & Door locks. Never had any way to confirm that. But, It looks like you just did. Anyway, it is good info and good thinking on your part to swap just the gauges.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Re: 1992 Iroc R/T Gauge Cluster in 1990 Daytona Shelby

No problem Ralph! I'm just glad I was able to get it to work. I was just going to pull it out and sell it down the road.