Thread: 90 Daytona ES Brake Problem

90 Daytona ES Brake Problem

Hello everyone! SO the otherday i noticed that my car made a nice metal on metal sound when i put the brake on...so i took the tire off to take a look. This is what i saw when i took the assembly apart... . I checked the caliper and it moves fine and the free floating parts feel alright. I know i'm not an expert by any means so I was wondering if anyone knew what the hell happened here.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 90 Daytona ES Brake Problem

That is caused by a seized or sticky piston/guides.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I'm assuming you need to pull it apart to do what to them? Replace or re-lube?

If its the sliders, lube them, if its the piston, just get some rebuilt calipers and do them in pairs.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Thanks, i'll give that a try.

One more thing it could be is the brake hose is collasped internally. Step on the brake pedal and release, then undo the bleeder nipple, if fluid spurts out, the brake hose is junk.

Mitsu booster

Since it only wore the inner pad I doubt that it was caused by (only) the brake hose. I wander if maybe you just had the lining come off the pads backing plate? How did the inner pad get bent like that (did you bend it while removing it)? Another strange thing is how corroded the plate is compared to the outer pads plate.Is it possible that someone had put a used pad on this?

Quote Originally Posted by CUDA 1 View Post
    Since it only wore the inner pad I doubt that it was caused by (only) the brake hose. I wander if maybe you just had the lining come off the pads backing plate? How did the inner pad get bent like that (did you bend it while removing it)? Another strange thing is how corroded the plate is compared to the outer pads plate.Is it possible that someone had put a used pad on this?
    Yep, the hose stops the fluid from returning keeping the piston on which wears out the inner pad. I see it all the time but your are right, it can be a combination of a bunch of things.

Good point on the pad loosing its lining, forgot about that one,

I'm careful with my work and i didn't bend the plate while i was working on it i knowticed that there was no grind marks on the bent section which means that it was bent prior to me taking it off. I think that whenever it bent, however it did, it cracked the pad, making it all crumble to pieces and then slowly started crumbling and then it all fell off

Mitsu booster

Yea Simon I was just pointing out that if hose were restricted it would be like you were riding the brake and would wear out both pads unless the sliders were froze which would only be applying pressure to the inner pad. By the way Thanks for the crankshaft I ended up getting it turned .010 still haven't got it put back together yet but hopefully that will change soon

Quote Originally Posted by CUDA 1 View Post
    Yea Simon I was just pointing out that if hose were restricted it would be like you were riding the brake and would wear out both pads unless the sliders were froze which would only be applying pressure to the inner pad. By the way Thanks for the crankshaft I ended up getting it turned .010 still haven't got it put back together yet but hopefully that will change soon

True, true.

No problem, did you do it because or you weren't happy with it?