Thread: 86/87 GLHS fan assembly differences (follow on pix)

86/87 GLHS fan assembly differences (follow on pix)

A few months back i bought a used fan shroud assembly that seller claimed was from a 1986 glhs, later i noticed a lot of differences in that part from the original one i had on my car. turns out seller was wrong, it is a fan from an '87 glhs.

i took these pix to help others who are trying to find the correct fan for their glhs cars.

the fan motor in my original one has a broken fan-retaining clip so the fan is in danger of flying off the motor, so the plan was to simply swap in a better motor, but the 87 motors are not interchangeable w/ the 86 motors as some experts have told me. the 86 uses a different motor perch that prevents the 87 motor (which is different in dimensions) from bolting to an 86 shroud.

i checked all the dimensions, length/width/height and they are the same so one can do a total swap between these asemblies, i didnt want to do that but i also dont want my old fan to cut a ditch into my new radiator.

edit: when i 1st posted this thread all the pix came out fine, now for some reason cardomain is screwed up and none of the pix show up correctly so i just deleted the pix.
    Last edited by Marcus86GLHS; 01-24-2007 at 06:54 AM.