Thread: 86 tona wiring?

turbo addict

86 tona wiring?

Anyone know the breakout of how the front dash speakers are wired in with the door speakers. I'm wanting to run them both. It already has the factory wiring and speakers still installed. I want to put in may aftermarket head unit so I'd rather know ahead of time how they are wired so I can setup my head unit and wiring accordingly if necessary. My main concern is if there will be bass frequencies potentially going to the dash speakers(i.e. factory crossover in wiring etc.) which would blow pretty easily when run by my pioneer unit. My other issue is I need to know if an 87-88 digital dash is a drop in to my 86 digital dash wiring connectors or if I need to mod the wiring as is required similarly to converting from analog to digital.

Thanks, Joseph
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

Re: 86 tona wiring?

There is no crossover, they are simply wired in parallel.

Dan

turbo addict

Gotcha. That will help with my previous question. I guess now I just need to figure out if the plugs from my 86 digital cluster will work with an 87-89 digital cluster from a tona/baron.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Gotcha. That will help with my previous question. I guess now I just need to figure out if the plugs from my 86 digital cluster will work with an 87-89 digital cluster from a tona/baron.

I would say they would not as the 84-86 digital dash is quite different from the 87-89 dash, I am pretty sure there has to be some differences in wiring.

turbo addict

Since it most likely isn't a drop in I will see if I can round up some cash for some manuals so I can figure out what wiring goes where.

Hybrid booster

Didn't 87+ change to electronic speedo?

Ron

turbo addict

I believe my car is a late 86. There is NO speedometer cable. Its got a two wire speed sensor on the trans. I checked.

None of the 84-86 digital dash cars have a speedo cable, unless they have cruise, but the cable still doesnt go into the car, only to the cruise servo. The 87-89 digital dash uses two 13 pin connectors, one black, one white. the 84-86 digital dash uses three connectors, one 21 pin connector in black, one 13 pin connector in blue, and one green flat 7 pin connector. It would seem the older style has alot more functions to it than the newer dash. If we could only figure out how to make the old style dash read over 85 MPH, I would be very happy with it. For me the tach responds way to slow in the 87-89 style digi dash. Three of the wires from the 86 harness dont seem to be present for the 87 pin out, they are drivers door switch, ground, and park warning lamp (test). For some reason the 87 style has two grounds. Im guessing the other two are not that important. I would buy the books, I love mine. If you keep an eye open on ebay you can usually find the books for pretty cheap. Good luck.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    None of the 84-86 digital dash cars have a speedo cable, unless they have cruise, but the cable still doesnt go into the car, only to the cruise servo. The 87-89 digital dash uses two 13 pin connectors, one black, one white. the 84-86 digital dash uses three connectors, one 21 pin connector in black, one 13 pin connector in blue, and one green flat 7 pin connector. It would seem the older style has alot more functions to it than the newer dash. If we could only figure out how to make the old style dash read over 85 MPH, I would be very happy with it. For me the tach responds way to slow in the 87-89 style digi dash. Three of the wires from the 86 harness dont seem to be present for the 87 pin out, they are drivers door switch, ground, and park warning lamp (test). For some reason the 87 style has two grounds. Im guessing the other two are not that important. I would buy the books, I love mine. If you keep an eye open on ebay you can usually find the books for pretty cheap. Good luck.

I have heard to get it to read over 85 mph all you have to do is find the little black switch on the back of the dash and switch it to export, then it will read over 85 mph.

I have heard that as well, but I havent tried it yet. It sounds simple, but the dash wires arent very long on the early cars so its not all that easy to get the cluster out.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Right on with the switch on the back. I've had my cluster out once to check for anything simple. Sounds like I should try to find another or repair the one I have being as the wiring is much different. As for my 88 Shelby Z its getting the 87-89 style with custom plugs. Should be much simpler to convert that one.

Thanks guys, Joseph