Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different seats in Charger...

Hybrid booster

Different seats in Charger...

I've been wanting to put some seats with a thinner bottom in my Charger because I am 6'-2" and when I try to sit up straight my head hits the headliner so I'm slightly hunched forward at all times even with the seat tilted back and the track all the way to the rear. I also don't like how when you sit forward the seat moves with you and no adjustable headrest; the top of the seat is right at my neck level. When I got rear ended in my Shadow I had the adj. headrest up all the way and I believe it saved me from neck injury.

I would like to buy factory seats if possible. I like the look of the recaro/shelby flofit seats but they're rare and people may be asking more than I'm willing to pay. Any others that aren't bulky and look good; would bolt right in?

For those that think I should stick with what came with the car regardless. I do want to stick to the color 'theme' and I'd either get blue seats to match interior blue, a combo of blue/grey, or blue with the Shelby logo stitched into the headrest. I can't get too extravagant. I'm not wealthy, lol. But something like that would be nice. Not sure when I'd do this. Would like to do within 6 months.

Re: Different seats in Charger...

i wonder if you found a lower seat track that had 6 way adjustment that would help. i dont know if these cam manual or only power, but even if it were power im sure you could make it happen.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The only thing that comes to mind is that I know 8valves had some prelude seats in his charger at one time. They looked great and are much nicer seats. I think you just have to bolt them to the seat track from the charger. Should not be too much work, or expense.

That is one thing I like about my omni, is that you get a little more head room. Although putting in a smaller dia steering wheel made the seats much easier to live in too.

Hybrid booster

seats from a 90-91 integra look just like those shelby Recardos and are pretty close to lining up with a stock dodge seat track

Hybrid booster

Well I'm not all that good with fabricating stuff. If it was just drilling some holes I could handle that. Perhaps I should stick to dodge seats or go aftermarket. I know this has been discussed before but how about srt-4 seats?

Hybrid booster

oh yeah it's easy enough to do, if you can drill holes and work a ratchet you'll do fine

Hybrid booster

I do like those seats btw. These are nice too but non-adj. headrest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stock...QQcmdZViewItem

I should get the dimensions on them so I will know how high the back rest goes.
    Maybe it will protect my neck just fine.

Hybrid booster

This might happen as early as next paycheck if I find some cheap. The fabric won't even need to be nice because my intention is to have them redone anyway.

Hybrid booster

I sat in some seats at the j-yard recently. The early 90's Prelude seats were awesome. They hold me great and are comfortable too even being a little stiffer than the Shelby seats. The Integra seats with the headrest with the hole in it also had large bolsters and were just as comfortable. On both seats with the headrest all the way up my head was supported. The bottoms do seem to be thinner than the Shelby seats but that's hard to tell for sure without a side by side comparison. The only thing I see as maybe being a problem is the seatbelts are attached to the seats. They're probably removeable though. Two sets of these seats I've seen on ebay the sellers tried to get them to fit their cars and weren't able to; one of them was a Honda crx. I know Garrett said they are pretty close to lining up so I'd be getting them on his word. There is a really nice set on ebay for cheap but I don't have the money for them now. I'll keep ya'll updated. Thanks

'90-'92 Integra seats:

'92-'96 Prelude seats:
    Last edited by Wes85L; 01-25-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

How much do you want for your stock seats?

Hybrid booster

When I get some seats and they're installed I may be selling the Shelby seats but until then they're staying in the car.

I almost bought the prelude seats today at the j-yard in blue. They were in amazing condition for j-yard seats. They would have been $50 for both. I was almost going to do it but looking at the slider and brackets I was getting worried I wasn't going to get them to mount right. The lady there said if they didn't fit I could bring them back for an extra $2. The next time I go they'll probably be gone or wrecked. A good cleaning and they'd be very nice though.
    Last edited by Wes85L; 07-16-2007 at 03:39 AM.

Hybrid booster

You don't use the prelude/intergra rails, you bolt them onto the L-body seat rails

Hybrid booster

Yeah, but they are attached with 'rivets'. I don't know how I'd remove them. Drill maybe? Actually the right side looked like one piece. I have an underside pic too; taken from back of seat:

Edit: I think I'd need a welder to remove the right side, maybe the left too.
    Last edited by Wes85L; 07-16-2007 at 03:39 AM.

Hybrid booster

same way you take out rivets on anything... you use a drill...

turbo addict

I sure as heck wouldn't be selling the factory seats. Whoever buys your car will surely want them and they are very hard to find in that color. I'd hate to see that car messed up like that.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

In a way I could be saying the same about your car. All the mods you've done. Correct? So, why do so many of you do this to me? His tint looks bad, steering wheel, yadda yadda. It's my damn car. Jeez. Sorry if I want to personalize it a little.

Hybrid booster

Yeah Shelby seats aren't that nice, they have a cool skinning but not that great of comfort or support compared to other factory options

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Wes85L View Post
    In a way I could be saying the same about your car. All the mods you've done. Correct? So, why do so many of you do this to me? His tint looks bad, steering wheel, yadda yadda. It's my damn car. Jeez. Sorry if I want to personalize it a little.
    I meant no offense. Your car is VERY complete. My car was a wrecked junker. If I had your car, I'd keep it complete like I'm doing with my GLHS. I have no problem with your steering wheel or your seats. At least keep all your stock parts in a box somewhere. If you want, here in a couple months, I'll pay you to deliver that car to my house.

Hybrid booster

it's only a Shelby charger, hardly rare or worth not modifying

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    it's only a Shelby charger, hardly rare or worth not modifying
    Umm...a silver one is pretty rare there Hoss.

1985 - 439 silver
    1986 - 387 silver
    Total - 826 silver

That's more rare than a 1987 Charger GLHS.

I wouldn't be hacking it up or selling off original parts since it's so complete. You never know what it will be worth. I can think of tons of cars that we never thought would be worth anything. If it were my car, I promise you it would get modified. BUT, I'd definitely hang onto all the original parts. I've noticed nicer Shelby Chargers going for alot more lately on E-bay and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast