Thread: Bent cam??

Bent cam??

This sat in an assembled engine for some years with a new timing belt installed. I was checking today and it seems to bind. It appears to be bent behind the first bearing on the belt end. You can see the assembly lube being "shaved" off the cam at the first journal. I'm guessing it assumed a bend from several years with belt tension and no rotation.
    Maybe this is something to watch when using cams from jy engines? I have read about cams breaking (between #1 and 2 journals??)

BTW this is binding very slightly but I WILL use a different cam.
    I may see if the "bend" can be reversed over several months by providing reverse tension in a spare head.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Bent cam??

Take out the rocker arms and spin it by hand. My grinder says bent cams on our 8Valves is common.

Do you have the cam caps in the correct place?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    This sat in an assembled engine for some years with a new timing belt installed. I was checking today and it seems to bind. It appears to be bent behind the first bearing on the belt end. You can see the assembly lube being "shaved" off the cam at the first journal. I'm guessing it assumed a bend from several years with belt tension and no rotation.
    Maybe this is something to watch when using cams from jy engines? I have read about cams breaking (between #1 and 2 journals??)

BTW this is binding very slightly but I WILL use a different cam.
    I may see if the "bend" can be reversed over several months by providing reverse tension in a spare head.
    I have snapped a cam before right between the #1 and #2 journals. It was an '88 TBI cam I got from an engine sitting out in the junkyard..probably sat for a long time with belt tension and no rotation. I got a few thousand miles out of it before it snapped just cruising along.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Take out the rocker arms and spin it by hand. My grinder says bent cams on our 8Valves is common.

Do you have the cam caps in the correct place?
    I should have said this is without the rocker arms on. It's a slight drag in one part of the rotation. It is really a slight warp. Maybe .001 or so. Just enough to notice when turning with or without the caps.
    Check with your machinist about salvaging this or junking it. Just for curiosity I'm thinking about shimming up #2 journal and and shimming down #1 for a couple months to see if it will return to original. Give me some ideas to play with.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The cam grinder straightens them but by the time you've shipped it out and back, you could have bought a new one.

I don't know if I would shim the cam caps.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info