Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo selection help

Hybrid booster

Turbo selection help

Well I think I'm finally going to break down and put a larger turbo on my 87 GLHS. I've been looking at some compressor maps and it looks like the t3/t4E 46 trim is about right, but I don't know since I've only had experience using the stock turbos. I know Cordes put a 50 trim on his omni and says it works good, but looking at the maps, it looks to be the 50 trim is too large. I'm using 85% for Volumetric efficiency, 2.27 pressure ratio, and 6200 RPM for the maps. Let me know if I should change something.
    Here is what I have:

2.2, A555
    Ported 782 Head and manifolds
    2.5" S/V and exhaust
    3 bar, +40s, Mopar ChEM cal, 18 psi, fmic

What turbo would you recommend, and what kind of lag do you think I can expect?
    I can't find a map for the super 70, but the super 60 looks to be too small. Any opinions appreciated.

turbo addict

Re: Turbo selection help

How mcuh hp?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

You would be fine with the 50 trim that Cordes is suggesting. I'm using a Super 50 trim with a stage 2 exhaust wheel and a stock head. The spool up is honestly comparable to a T2 Garrett. It's not bad at all. Plus those turbos can produce some very respectable numbers...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What are you goals and HP. A super60 is a great bolt on turbo for more power and not much lag.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I really don't care what HP number I put down on the dyno. I just want a good all-around turbo to match my setup. Whats the benefit of the stage II wheel? I'd like to stay with the stage I wheel if possible becaue I already have a stage I .63 exh housing that I would like to use to save some $$. You guys don't think the 50 trim would be too lagy?
    I didn't think the super 60 was much larger than the stock unit. Would it better match my setup than a hybrid?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    I really don't care what HP number I put down on the dyno. I just want a good all-around turbo to match my setup. Whats the benefit of the stage II wheel? I'd like to stay with the stage I wheel if possible becaue I already have a stage I .63 exh housing that I would like to use to save some $$. You guys don't think the 50 trim would be too lagy?
    I didn't think the super 60 was much larger than the stock unit. Would it better match my setup than a hybrid?
    What are you going to be doing with the car? If you want straight line performance, I would go tfor the super 50 trim hybrid, and definatly a stg. II wheel. Otherwise, I would go for a S70 from TU.

At 18PSI or so, I think you will certainly see an advantage of going to a stg. II wheel even in a 2.2. You should be able to run 22-23PSI on pump gas with a good cal and a good IC in the car.

Hybrid booster

Well, the car is my daily driver, gets raced on the street alot, and gets raced at the track alot (all straight line of course). I see the TU super 70 is good up to 350 hp. What would be the benefit of the hybrid 50 trim over the S70?
    I've already got a stage I .63 housing. Would I be hurting myself by sticking with the stage I wheel just so I could use my housing?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

IMO the stock turbine wheel would be a restriction at 350HP for sure given that the exhaust etc. was already free flowing. I like the hybrid at 350+ for sure as it leaves a little room to grow, but also gets the job done around town.

In all reality if it is going to be a daily driver, I cant see pushing a motor that hard very consistantly and expecting things to live indefinatly. 300-325HP is about the limit of what I would want in a DD for my budget. For that I might opt for the S70 to make the installation easier and to have a slightly quicker spool.

im pretty sure with a s-60/s-70 turbo ( and prob. a couple t4 wheels in stock covers)were only looking at 3-400 rpm of spool differece between a .63 stage 1 and 2. although the max flow is a different story, lol, quite a few h.p. there.
    as usual, money and hp goal is important. with these numbers we can better suggest a turbo, along with what type fmic you have.

all in all, if you want it done right, its best to purchase a new unit from one of our vendors and get the warranty

Moving to a hybrid will require more modifications to be done to your vehicle. That's all great if you have the time and the money. For your application though, I recommend obtaining a Super 70 and using your .63 A/R turbine housing. The Quick Spool option is a must since you are running the 2.2 and a stick car. Think about upgrading to the 3" swingvalve in the future to enhance spool up and overall HP. Otherwise, contact me at 602-762-6678 so we can go over your options a little further.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

Alright. Thanks for the help everyone. Although I'm not afraid of the modification required to do the hybrid, I think I will go the super 70 route since I really don't plan to make it past 350 hp. What stage wheel should I go with on the S70?
    As for my goal, I don't know about horsepower, but I would like to run 12.30s or so. My fmic is a treadstone (uses a spearco core).

Either go with Chris's advice or sell the stage I turbine housing and go stage II with the .63 housing of course.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You would be fine with the 50 trim that Cordes is suggesting. I'm using a Super 50 trim with a stage 2 exhaust wheel and a stock head. The spool up is honestly comparable to a T2 Garrett. It's not bad at all. Plus those turbos can produce some very respectable numbers...
    Hey man, you have the turbo I want to get! Super 50 with a stage 2 wheel. Just a matter of time, I'll get one from T.U.
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    Hey man, you have the turbo I want to get! Super 50 with a stage 2 wheel. Just a matter of time, I'll get one from T.U.
    It's a good turbo, man. Everybody told me without an intercooler it would be an iffy ride. IMO it's fine. It's a tad laggier than a stock T03 Garrett, anywhere from 0-6psi in a low gear it's hard to get it moving, but once past it's like trying to stop a flying dumpster!

That's just my suggestion, but a Super70 would be a great turbo for your goals. I plan to see how retarded I can go with the stock bottom end.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Your modification list doesn't specify, are you goinjg to the 300 HP level with the stock LW rods that came with your S car

Long live red GLHS's

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Haha, no, the LW rods and pistons met their maker along time ago. I've got TIIs and wisecos.
    So the Super 70 with stageII wheel and .63 A/R it is then? Anyone disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    Haha, no, the LW rods and pistons met their maker along time ago. I've got TIIs and wisecos.
    So the Super 70 with stageII wheel and .63 A/R it is then? Anyone disagree?
    Since 350HP is achievable with the stage 1 there is no need to increase your cost and lag time by going with a stage 2. If you still have extra cash left over invest it in a 3" Swingvalve.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

I have a TU S70 with the quick-spool option, .63 housing, 3" SV, DP, and full 3" exhaust with an UltraFlo muffler. It has a bit more lag than the stock Garrett had on my CSX when it had the more restrictive exhaust on it (stock DP, Catco cat, 2.5" pipes to a Super Turbo muffler), but it is not bad. I just have to learn to drive it differently. It actually feels just like getting into the CSX after a long winter of driving my old 88 Shadow (2.2+Mitsu turbo). You get lazy in the feet and it takes a bit to adjust...then you remember that you don't have to shift at 4500rpm and everything is good.

The boost comes on more sanely too, not like getting kicked in the pants and lighting up the front wheels. I got full boost (18psi at the time) around 3k, IIRC (I have it set to 7psi while the Blizzaks are on), and it pulls like a raped ape to the redline and beyond. I love it.

Edit: I should add that the Daytona has a 2.2L with a triple-core IC, an FM ported intake manifold, FM ported exhaust manifold, and a ported head. It's crucial to get the airflow optimized when using a bigger turbo...this will help the lag situation. I really feel like I have a well-balanced setup for "spirited" street use. Haven't taken it to the track yet.

Hybrid booster

Did you have the stage I or the stage II wheel on the daytona?

Chris, how much more lag is there between the stage I vs II wheel? How much power is there between the two?

From reading and what I have driven, I think the stage II would be the way to go and lag wise, not much different than stock and the big reason is we always say we only want X amount of power but then we want MORE after a few days, weeks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast