Thread: Slh 1 on 88 shadow

Slh 1 on 88 shadow

I’ve been researching the slh 1 package for the shadow and I just wanted to make sure that I have all the correct information before I get parts. From what I understand I need mini van brake calibers, 24mm master cylinder, and the mini van brake carriers. Is this correct? and also on dempsey page it said that you need to upgrade the rear drums from the 200mm to the 220mm is this really necessary?
    thanks,
    nathan
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Slh 1 on 88 shadow

If I'm not mistaken, your car should already have the 220mm rear drums.

Hybrid booster

the SLH pages are a bit dated and wrong

dynasty brakes have the bigger calipers but use stock thickness rotors unlike the mini rotors that are thinner (to allow for thicker pads = longer pad life) which reduce thermal efficiency (less metal to soak up heat). only thing you have to watch out for is that all 91+ brakes require the corresponding knuckles, which requires the corresponding a-arms and an 89+ dual pivot k frame to compensate for the change in steering geometry.

i personally think the 0-1/4 front rotor (including dynasty)/ solid rear disc is a good balance. i would never bother with the vented rear disc unless using the corresponding 11" front brakes that came on the donor car. most of your braking comes from the front. on the lightest cars, it is advantageous to run solid rear disc at the most because they are lighter and the L bodies are so light that they have a tendency for premature rear brake lockup!

So what should i be getting then?
    Do I need the dynasty calipers?
    Or can I just get minivan ones and then use the thinner dynasty brake pads?
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

On my Daytona, I went with a Dynasty MC, 60mm calipers and pads off of an '89 Caravan (pads were bought new), and then the stock rotors for the Daytona. The Daytona of course came stock with the 220mm rear drums. Now when you're upgrading that master cylinder, make sure there is a number 4 cast into the top of the unit in front of the reservoir. The braking improvement was impressive, however it couldn't hold a candle to the stock 4wheel discs on my CSXT, which had I believe 54mm front calipers, and pre-production '89 rear discs. Now the Daytona has the rear discs off of a Shelby Z, but I need to buy some better pads for the rear.

And one more thing- Be sure to heat cycle your new pads! That is one thing that gets overlooked or just blown off, but it makes a huge difference.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i put 10.5 non vented rears on my dynasty (which already had the 60mm/10.5 fronts and 24mm mc) and it locked up the rears first. eventually i put all 11" brakes on it with same mc and prop valve.. it still locks up the backs first. you can help this by running autozone pads in the back and some better ones in the front like HPS or EBC, whatever.

i think i drove my lebaron after 200 to 220mm drum swap, but honestly, i cant remember it well enough to tell you the difference. i CAN tell you that 200mm drums in the back might as well not be there because they do so little. granted, an adjustable prop valve and maybe some bigger wheel cylinders from the bigger drums would help, but if you think the drums are ugly might as well swap to discs.

You had it right the first time.

Get the 60mm calipers from a minivan, along with the caliper adapters, and master cylinders. Then use caravan pads with shadow rotors. You may have to remove the seliencer pad on the pads to fit them. That was what I had to do on my 90 Shadow. But pad thickness will vary from manufacturer. The dynasty calipers are the same size as minivans.

Best bet is this. If you have press in wheel bearings, pull your brake upgrade from the same style.

Now you can do the same thing for 91+ cars. My current 9 shadow has calipers from a dynasty. But the caliper adapters were reuseable.

later

Quote Originally Posted by turboshadow View Post
    So what should i be getting then?
    Do I need the dynasty calipers?
    Or can I just get minivan ones and then use the thinner dynasty brake pads?
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

I've went backwards in upgrading an 88 ES Turbo I. It had the 10 1/4" in front with 200 mm drums in back. I went to 220 mm drums in the back first. I had to replace a worn out drum and I had the 220 mm on hand. With the 220 drums the rears would then lock up first.
    I then changed to the 11" brakes with the 60 mm calipers in the front. This is with the later k frame and cast arms out of a Daytona. Caliper adapters came out of a minivan. The fronts now lockup first and is too much in wet weather. It's time for the 24 mm master cylinder!

allright so I think im gona go with all the minivan stuff pads, calipers, and brackets. But is the mini van master the 24mm i need? and can i use the 11inch daytona rotors?

Daytona rotors work. The 11" rotors are the same with the different suspension setups. I've used 90 rotors on the 92 knuckles i am running.
    I'm not sure about the minivan master fitting but I know the Daytona master which is 24 mm will work. I haven't checked to see if they are the same. Check some one like NAPA and see if master part # is the same.

You can use any 24mm master cylinder from any car you wish. If you are pulling one from the junkyard, look for one that is clean around the brake booster.

later

Quote Originally Posted by mike mckay View Post
    Daytona rotors work. The 11" rotors are the same with the different suspension setups. I've used 90 rotors on the 92 knuckles i am running.
    I'm not sure about the minivan master fitting but I know the Daytona master which is 24 mm will work. I haven't checked to see if they are the same. Check some one like NAPA and see if master part # is the same.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd