Thread: Clutches

Clutches

I'm collecting to do a 523 swap into my Horizon. When I originally turbo'd it about 2000 miles ago I used the T2/T3 clutch combo. Now I was wondering if its useless to use the T3 PP with say a ceramic clutch? I'll buy a heavier duty one IF I really need one.

Re: Clutches

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    I'm collecting to do a 523 swap into my Horizon. When I originally turbo'd it about 2000 miles ago I used the T2/T3 clutch combo. Now I was wondering if its useless to use the T3 PP with say a ceramic clutch? I'll buy a heavier duty one IF I really need one.

You might be able to get away with it becuse you have a lighter vehicle, but, when it comes to clutches it is always better to go a little bit overkill. If you wind up overpowering the clutch your investment to replace it with the same clutch will cost you more then just getting an upgraded clutch from the get go. Plus, R&Ring that tranny in a Horizon is no picnic.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Three major factors affecting clutch choice

HP you are making

Vehical weight

How you drive the car

The Horizon is light enough for a T3 PP set up, I got by with one on my Shelby Lancer-until I upgraded the turbo and head. Around 250 WHP that clutch got real uhappy-but the SL is much heavier than an L body

If you are hitting the track and doing high rpm launches it's doubtful your clutch will like that.

Basically more power, more weight or more abuse= more clutch

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Its expected to see a lot of 1/4 mile track time. My concern was that the new ceramic disc would start slipping at the same power level as an organic because the clamping power of the pressure plate remains the same. And definately not looking forward to doing a tranny swap in the Horizon. However it may come at the same time I R & R the k-frame with the rebuilt front suspension so there will be more room.

My concern was that the new ceramic disc would start slipping at the same power level as an organic because the clamping power of the pressure plate remains the same.
    That's not always the case. The "grip" also has alot to do with the friction of the material and the amount of contact surface area. Depending on which Ceramic disc brand you are using and how many pucs it has it will most likely grip better. However, there will still be a limitation and it is much wiser to match it with a stronger PP to get your moneys worth. If you wind up slipping the ceramic disk you may be buying a new one with the stronger PP which would just be a waste of money

And definately not looking forward to doing a tranny swap in the Horizon. However it may come at the same time I R & R the k-frame with the rebuilt front suspension so there will be more room.

Removing the K-Frame will make it MUCH easier. Good Choice!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    HP you are making
    I disagree.

It's the MAX torque that you're making that matters.

And it's not that much tougher to change the clutch in a Omni than it is a Daytona. I've done both, but I do have an engine hoist to help me.

Guess I'll be clutch kit shopping.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I disagree.

It's the MAX torque that you're making that matters.

And it's not that much tougher to change the clutch in a Omni than it is a Daytona. I've done both, but I do have an engine hoist to help me.
    OK, you got me on that one Bad choice of a word on my part

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL