Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car falls on its face after 5 psi ?

Garrett booster

car falls on its face after 5 psi ?

ok so i just put a motor in my, SL its a 2.5 89 common block out of a daytona . i put all my stuff from my motor on to the new motor ,new head gasket , cleaned up the head , super 60 turbo,stock WG can ,timing seems to be ok i have to check it again later today . but what happens is it just does not want to go after 5 psi , its seems to pull good from 0 - 5 psi but after that just does not want to go ? plus its sounds like it misses a little while idling ? whats the thing i should look for ? also i'am running a 2.2 stage 2 computer for right now could this be my problem . the vac is at 20 in so that seems prettey good for a motor with a 100 k . anyways thanks for the help

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: car falls on its face after 5 psi ?

How is the vac line going to the map sensor?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster

its all hooked up like it was from factory (i think).

turbo addict

Did you install +20 or +40 injectors? 2.5's need more fuel than a 2.2.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster

no i did not . so i guess i should get a new Cal for my 2.5 and go from there .what else should i add ? is just a cal going to be enough around 14 psi ?

Hybrid booster

they cut out at 14.7 dont they? is it like a knocking or pinging?

Garrett booster

yeah they do have a cutout at 14 . i havent even got it past like 5 or 7 psi .i dont hear any knocking or pinging it just starts to shutter after 5 psi or so . it does not like WOT . i put a 52mm TB on there too, do you have to change out the TPS and or the IAC from the stock TB to the 52 or does it matter ? i have never worked or have had a TD b4 so i'am trying to learn how to trouble shoot them . this is my first TD ,when i got the car did not even run so i had to get a motor and freshen it up with some new parts .

Garrett booster

You might want to hook up a pressure guage,check fuel pressure,i still have the same boost problems but have tracked it down to bad pump ,static is at 50psi but once you step on the gas during WOB i watch the pressure drop like a rock to 20PSI,mine is geeting a new performance pump today... Oh yea don't overlook a weak wastgate spring letting it open to early and dumping,that to was a problem for me ,a simple 6 inch spring helped it a long fine with no overboost yet! Happy Hunting !

Garrett booster

cool well i will have to check this today then . thanks

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Fuel pressure could be misleading though. Even with a solid 55 psi (no vac applied), running a 2.5 on a 2.2 computer will always be lean. I ran +20's and pulled the timing back to around 10* in order to keep the fuel and spark in line when I did it. I only got 15 psi out of it though before it started to run lean enough for me to have to raise fuel pressure, and then it started getting a bit too rich down low.

A 2.5 calibration fixes those issues though. So either try to pick one up, or be prepared to add some larger injectors and do a bit of fiddling to get it to run as best it can.
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Garrett booster

well i dont think its lean yet , i havent even got past 5 psi it acts like it does have any fuel . i put a new pump in it also a new filter , because the car sat for about 10 years without running b4 i had it . i know i have to get a Cal but it should still run better than it does right now .

Garrett booster

Did you get it going yet?My problem was all fuel pressure/volumne,now i have a static at 52PSI and when going to boost the pressure rises 1:1 my pressure will rise to 65PSI and the wastegate dumps,hooked up like factory,i like it so well i haven't removed the guage from the hood yet,just like watching the boost guage,now i wished i would have put in a better pump so that i can squeeze a little more boost out of it.... don't forget the wastegate valve dumping early due to weak spring? Hope this helps

Garrett booster

i have not got it fixed yet . i think its a fuel problem though , i dont have money to get a fuel pressure tester right this second . this weekend i will get it and see what happens. i'am waiting for my cal to be here tomorrow so i can put that in too .i think what happen with my car is that it sat for ten years b4 i got it , so when i first got the car i replaced the fuel pump and filter , but it had bad gas in so when i replace the pump i hot wired the pump so i can pump all the bad gas out (big no no on my part ) so i think the pump is now full of crap when i used it to get all the gas out . so i'am going to do a fuel pressure test to make sure that is it . then i'am going to pull the tank and try to clean it out , maybe replace the pump again and filter . what do you think ?

if it sat for that long i would def. check the injectors for proper spray.
    also, just leave the sensors on the 52mm, the tps is interchangeable but the ais is specific.

Garrett booster

ok , i left the ais on the 52mm i just changed the TPS. the car will pull now after 5 psi but i know its running lean . also it sputters as i drive , like its missing ? i think its a fuel issue but i will have to find out

Garrett booster

Take a good look at your spark plugs,check timming,unplug the coolant sensor and hook up timming light to check it... Look at fuel filters and pump,my 86 shelby also sat for 10 years,i drained the tank,and changed the pump,went to local junk yard,took one out of an omni,the problem was it was not fuel injected,so i ended up buying a new pump and pulling the sender for the fourth time to get the guages to read,don't let that put you off doing it,I am not sure where yours is but mine was in front of passenger tire rear side,there is also a plugged off line with a rubber cap that you can drain 99% of the fuel out of,I did it so often that i did the last time in 30 Minutes..You would not believe the rust that is inside your tank.. I now boost 10Psi +,got a MP com. comming this week should do 12PSI the safe way,let me know if this gets you going? don't give up the rewards of boost are worth the Effort,I owe many thanks to Frank and Simon for their imput....

Garrett booster

Did you ever figure what your problem was? I think my problem is very closley related to your problem.

¿ Turbo Mopar Contributor oldgregg's Avatar

Guys, I'm surprised no one mentioned what might be the obvious problem, timing belt a tooth or 2 advanced.

Garrett booster

My Bad! I thought I mentioned The whole timming Issue in a previous,When I checked timming on my ride It too was off,reset it and Life Is good again!I did have a minor moment with the cold weather start thing,but once i parked it inside , that quickly went away.... Did you get it going Yet?

Garrett booster

ok sorry guys i have been really busy . yes i did check the timing and it was good . i ended up changing my plugs and the problem pretty much is gone , but i have bad news . after i got it running better i took it for some nice hard runs . and i ended up cracking #1 piston , it was not running lean so i dont know what happend but it is back apart again and getting some forged slugs . so i have some time to upgrade my fuel pump,injectors,AFPR,and some other goodies . so thanks for the help , she will run again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast