Thread: coolant hose question

coolant hose question

My Masi powered Rampage always runs cool and with the cold weather is running very cold. I checked for leaks and have replaced the thermostat and tried to get any air out of the system. Upon investigating the hoses I found my thermostat bypass hose is going into a tee at the lower radiator hose on the driver's side. This hose would normally go into to the water pump. My question - could this be causing coolant to flow back into the radiator and up to the thermostat causing the thermostat to stay open?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

turbo addict

Re: coolant hose question

Nope. Coolant flow is still through the t-stat, upper hose, radiator, lower hose (picking up your by-pass), water pump, block and finally the head to t-stat (again).

Your by-pass tee'd into the lower hose is just before the water pump ... same solution really.

What rating is the t-stat? How big is the radiator? Is the rad/fan always running? Coolant mix percentage?

It does seem like it should work OK. The radiator is a big custom unit. I had a 180° in it and I swapped it for a 195°. It ran even cooler! So I put a Mopar 185° , but I drilled it with a 1/16" hole and it has been running real cold, of course, it has gotten a lot colder outside. It was in the 50s and now in the 30s. Fan switch goes to a bulb next to the radiator, so I can adjust when it goes on. Probably running a fairly diluted mix, since I have been adding water to try and get rid of any air bubbles.

Nope. Coolant flow is still through the t-stat, upper hose, radiator, lower hose (picking up your by-pass), water pump, block and finally the head to t-stat (again).

Your by-pass tee'd into the lower hose is just before the water pump ... same solution really.

What rating is the t-stat? How big is the radiator? Is the rad/fan always running? Coolant mix percentage?

I see that my radiator has a slight leak in the lower drivers corner. Will this keep me from reaching a higher temp?

Charlie

turbo addict

Yep. Leaks .. as you know ... are NFG. The system probably isn't holding pressure so air is trapped in it.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Charlie - try the trucker thing - block off part of the radiator.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Thanks for the responses. Until I can fix the radiator I have added some stop leak and I did block off a lot of the radiator. This helps a lot. I had done that last year and noticed it helped. The temp gauge is still a bit low, but I put a temp gun on the engine and it was about 190° or so.
    I have an unused oil temp gauge and was thinking of splicing that into the water temp sender unit. I noticed at the part store that they had a water/oil temp gauge - same thing, I guess. That might give me a more accurate reading.

Charlie