Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oil?

How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oil?

I am changing the trans fluid in my daytona and I found out it still has ATF in it. I sucked out all I could through the fill hole and the Ball joint is not cooperating with me so I can't easily pull an axle out. Would it be OK to just fill it back up with oil or should I put some dextron back in it until I can pull an axle?
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oil?

I have an FAQ on how to put a drain plug in easily. If you don't put a drain plug in, I would get out as much as you can, put some cheap 5w30 oil in, drive it around for a few days then drain it again, and put some good stuff in.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5841
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oil?

My haynes book says to pull the differential cover, which I thought was a bit much work, but that should empty it out pretty good.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
    My haynes book says to pull the differential cover, which I thought was a bit much work, but that should empty it out pretty good.
    I don't think you can get the diff. cover off with the trans in the car.

turbo addict

This is an L body book, so it might be different or just misguided.

Auto's you can but I am not sure about manuals, due to the thickness of the cover. If you maybe undo some mounts you might be able to. Dropping the K-member would let you get access. Personally, its alot of work when my drain plug FAQ makes it a 30 min job the first time,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

I read your drain plug FAQ, and it's tough to tell where I'm drilling without going under the car, and doesn't the 525 case make a difference?

Well I could learn something new but I seem to remember that all TM's have the place on them where I made the drain plug, if not, OOPS,

turbo addict

How about next weekend I take a look for you and figure out what works.

Sounds good

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

I'm no experit but I think if you can drain as much out as you can, you'll still be fine to run regular motor oil. ATF is still an oil in itself but with a few different additives and preservitives designed for longevity, the red is actually a dye. I think you'll be okay, you can mix oils.

Hybrid booster

I did the oil drain & fill on my '84 NA Charger. I just loosened all the bolts on the end cover, pried it away about 1/2" and let it drain. As for the BEST stuff to use, Amsoil MTX is not only a 5w-30 viscosity, but has additional stuff to protect the transfer gears.

Mike

boostaholic

Re: How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oi

FWIW when I changed my 525 I just tipped it and let it drain out the axle holes, then installed and filled. No special cleaning, or even oil change after several miles. Of course I don't give a care about this 525

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Re: How important is it to get all of the ATF out of 525 before switching to 5w 30 oi

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs232 View Post
    FWIW when I changed my 525 I just tipped it and let it drain out the axle holes, then installed and filled. No special cleaning, or even oil change after several miles. Of course I don't give a care about this 525
    Did you just loosen the front motor mount and push the manifold backwards to rock it?

I don't think the mixing is a problem. I worked for an oil delivery company and the truck would have atf and different weight oils in different tanks. However, they were all delivered through the same pump and hose. So you get whatever was in the hose last plus what you wanted. That is why i would never go to a place that has bulk oil for an oil change.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

turbo addict

The ATF and Oil mix fine. Back in 1989, before I know Chrysler said to use oil, I didn't want just ATF, so I used half ATF and half oil....mixed well.

I also did the drain plug back in 1990 on my 525, works very well!

Johnny
    PolyBushings.com

turbo addict

Tip Of the Day!

By the way, you can TAP and thread a drain plug hole with the tranny in the car without worry. Add grease to the tap, most all of the shavings will stick to the grease. Then all of the oil (or ATF) in the tranny will drain out the hole washing any other shavings out.

Johnny

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have the diff cover off my GLHS right now. I was able to get to it because I have the k-frame off the car to do a power steering rack. You'd have to be plasticman to get the diff cover off with the k-frame on, I don't see how that could be done.

Maybe I'll switch mine over to 5w-30 when it goes back together.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Re: Tip Of the Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    By the way, you can TAP and thread a drain plug hole with the tranny in the car without worry. Add grease to the tap, most all of the shavings will stick to the grease. Then all of the oil (or ATF) in the tranny will drain out the hole washing any other shavings out.

Johnny
    I just did this today. Went well except I need a shorter plug. Should be about a half inch long, the shortest they had was inch and a half. I need to find a smaller one tomorrow, but this one works for now. I didn't tap threads all the way so I tightened it up with silicone sealant and let it set for a while before filling it. I used a 9/16" drill bit, but a 5/8" would work too if you don't like cranking hard on the tap. I used a 3/4" #10 coarse thread tap, which had an awesome bite in the stock hole under the diff. Be VERY careful not to drill into the pinion gear. I used a couple smaller bits to carefully break through the top and then used the 9/16". Here's some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130776 (Large).JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	2971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140780 (Large).JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	2972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140781 (Large).JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	2973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140782 (Large).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	2974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140783 (Large).JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	2975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140784 (Large).JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	2976  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140785 (Large).JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	2977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140788 (Large).JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	2978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140789 (Large).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	2979  

^^^OYE, thats what my FAQ was about, sheesh,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast