Thread: Best Turbo Upgrade for my Setup.

Threaded View

Best Turbo Upgrade for my Setup.

Since turbo sizing is black magic to me, so I ask.

Alright. With the new year comes yet another big refund check. Not being happy with my maxed out TII turbo, I need something better.

The car, 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 5spd. Its a pig. With me, my car weighs 3200lbs. My engine management is socketed ECU running 3bar map, +40s and intake temp sensor. I'm using a HKS EVC EZ for boost control, but have been tempted to return to OEM boost control.

To start off, my setup is.

91 Stock block/head 2.5TI, no balance shafts
    92 A568 rebuilt with quaife LSD
    TU's baffled oil pan
    Ported Exhaust Manifold
    TI intake manifold ported to future 52mm TB
    88 TBI cam
    two Adjustable cam gears
    Rebuilt Garrett T3 turbo with quick spool option
    FMIC intercooler with 2.25 in plumbing
    Full 2.5in turbo back exhaust with 3in electric cutout
    Underdrive pulley
    lightened flywheel
    FWDP 4 puck clutch

These parts have netted me a best of 14.0 @100 mphs. I last dynoed at 218whp and 274 lbs of torque using a TII intercooler radiator setup at 18lbs of boost. I usually run 18/20lbs of boost, that usually falls off a few lbs the closer to redline I get.

I'm thinking my turbo is maxed out, considering I didn't get any faster this year, but added a bunch of parts. I only made the car more consistent.

My goals are mid to high 13s street tires, making around 250/275 whp running less then 20lbs of boost. There are some places I can take weight out of the car, the driver, equal length half shaft and a few other areas.

I was thinking Super 60 with .63 A/R. But there had to be something better nowadays. I do know whatever turbo I choose, it will be with .63A/R. I also want something simple to install. That means minimal downtime and very little Fabrication.

Along with a turbo upgrade, I was going to get a 3in downpipe to match my cutout. My car is mostly a street terror, sneaking up and by all the unsuspecting people. I just need a bit more firepower to raise my game up.

I'm limiting myself to FWDP and FM turbos because of issues with every TU part I've ever ordered. I might and very big IF, get a TU 3in swingvalve.

Whats everybodies opinion in meeting my goals.
    Last edited by inmyshadow; 01-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd