Thread: Best Turbo Upgrade for my Setup.

Best Turbo Upgrade for my Setup.

Since turbo sizing is black magic to me, so I ask.

Alright. With the new year comes yet another big refund check. Not being happy with my maxed out TII turbo, I need something better.

The car, 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 5spd. Its a pig. With me, my car weighs 3200lbs. My engine management is socketed ECU running 3bar map, +40s and intake temp sensor. I'm using a HKS EVC EZ for boost control, but have been tempted to return to OEM boost control.

To start off, my setup is.

91 Stock block/head 2.5TI, no balance shafts
    92 A568 rebuilt with quaife LSD
    TU's baffled oil pan
    Ported Exhaust Manifold
    TI intake manifold ported to future 52mm TB
    88 TBI cam
    two Adjustable cam gears
    Rebuilt Garrett T3 turbo with quick spool option
    FMIC intercooler with 2.25 in plumbing
    Full 2.5in turbo back exhaust with 3in electric cutout
    Underdrive pulley
    lightened flywheel
    FWDP 4 puck clutch

These parts have netted me a best of 14.0 @100 mphs. I last dynoed at 218whp and 274 lbs of torque using a TII intercooler radiator setup at 18lbs of boost. I usually run 18/20lbs of boost, that usually falls off a few lbs the closer to redline I get.

I'm thinking my turbo is maxed out, considering I didn't get any faster this year, but added a bunch of parts. I only made the car more consistent.

My goals are mid to high 13s street tires, making around 250/275 whp running less then 20lbs of boost. There are some places I can take weight out of the car, the driver, equal length half shaft and a few other areas.

I was thinking Super 60 with .63 A/R. But there had to be something better nowadays. I do know whatever turbo I choose, it will be with .63A/R. I also want something simple to install. That means minimal downtime and very little Fabrication.

Along with a turbo upgrade, I was going to get a 3in downpipe to match my cutout. My car is mostly a street terror, sneaking up and by all the unsuspecting people. I just need a bit more firepower to raise my game up.

I'm limiting myself to FWDP and FM turbos because of issues with every TU part I've ever ordered. I might and very big IF, get a TU 3in swingvalve.

Whats everybodies opinion in meeting my goals.
    Last edited by inmyshadow; 01-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Re: Best Turbo Upgrade for my Setup.

I'm not an expert on the subject so I'll leave that to someone else, however if you choose to go the S60 route, I have a low mileage used one with a TU 3" Swingvalve Housing, and SS lines. I have a header made by Andy Bestor I could throw in the deal as well.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict

Port your head.

Check out his dyno with ported head and T3/T4.
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128952

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

That's also about $1000-$1500 worth of port work with the hardware...not including the head itself.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict

A person that bought a quaife LSD will pay good $$$ for acceleration.

I will, but not on a ported head.

I have long term goal of building a hybrid motor. Just don't have the space to build one. No sense in porting an 8V head when I can slap on a dohc head for the same cost.

later

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    A person that bought a quaife LSD will pay good $$$ for acceleration.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

If your looking for a turbo you could go with a super 60. Your setup is kinda like mine but I am going with a T04E hybrid. I am going with a stg1 .63 housing and a 40 trim wheel. I would recomend that or a 46 trim wheel. It should not have much turbo lag and will give you loads of top end. The 40 trim is I think 1lbs per minute more then the super 60 wheel.

The other thing is you should consider getting a multi angle valve job done while the head is off. That also helps alot.

EDIT:
    Just thought I do a quick run down on my specs.
    88 P body
    A555
    Mild ported head (FM stg1)
    LWP ported exhaust mani
    T04E 40 trim stg1 .63
    3in SV with 3in turbo back exhaust.
    A/W IC
    +40's...ect and all that other crap.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I think a Super60 would do well and its literally a bolt on, that would drop you into the 13's. 57 trim is a bad choice for an 8 valve so I have read.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'd recommend the S60. Its a proven 325hp capable turbo. No sense going any bigger than that if you are going to choke it with a stock head.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Agreed. S60 and then work on the exhaust and swingvalve.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!